Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SubDude
    Captain
    • Dec 2019

David, got the seals. Thank you again. I really appreciate that and the leak is now fixed.

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

Interesting day at the lake today... So, I got the leak fixed on my Redoutable and everything working properly it seemed. Decided to head to the lake for a run. When I got there everything looked good. A beautiful late afternoon. Got her ready and set her down in the water. First thing to go wrong was that my throttle was reversed. I had recalibrate it and failed to notice the direction had changed. DOH!! No big deal, I just pulled back on the throttle to go forward and she was underway. She cruised well for about 5 minutes and then seemed to get slower until it quit about 15 feet from the shore. I still had radio, just no propulsion. I didn't think to bring anything to retrieve it with but the wind was in my favor... that is until it shifted. Faced with it drifting further from shore I decided to head to my local Walmart for a fishing pole. Of course I ended up behind someone who didn't drive anywhere near the speed limit and half way there the first drops of rain hit the windshield. It was raining pretty good when I got to Walmart and so I decided to park near the entrance closest to sporting goods. Got to the entrance and because of the virus they had it closed which was a new one on me. Walked across the front of the building to the other entrance and then proceeded all the way back to the opposite corner of the store where I found hardly any fishing poles or sinkers that weren't under an ounce. Grabbed the cheapest rod and reel I could find, some 20lb test and 1/2 ounce sinkers. As I left the store the rain started coming down in sheets... by the time I got into my car at the other end of the parking lot I was soaked completely through and the inside of the driver side door was dripping wet. Back to the lake I again ended up behind someone who didn't believe in at least going the speed limit. Looking on the bright side the delay allowed the rain to start subsiding just a little. In spite of the squalls from the storm the sub was only about 40 ft from shore so in the rain I quickly tried to get the line on the reel without anything to cut it but my teeth. I got the line cinched down on the reel and realized I didn't do it right. I finally got it corrected and wound the line onto the reel then tied the sinker on to the line after 3 minutes of trying to bite it in two. While I was doing this I failed to notice that the bale was not set to lock so the line loosened up and wadded up around the reel. It was a mess, I was wet and my sub was drifting further from shore but I sat down, set the lock on the reel and untangled the line. Finally the rain quit and after about 10 tries I was able to get the line over the rudder and gently pull it to shore. My initial thought was that the 3300 mA 3S Lipo had died but when I got it home and apart it was still showing 54% but it smells like the motor burned out. I mean a bad burned winding smell. I didn't feel like I was pushing it that hard and I can imagine it can get toasty inside the cylinder but never dreamed the motor would get hot enough to burn out but that is what appears to have happened. Funny at times, frustrating at others but all a big learning experience. I hope all my outings don't got like this.

So, Mr. Merriman or Bob, do you happen to have a spare motor I could purchase from you?
      Last edited by SubDude; 06-10-2020, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by RCJetDude
        Interesting day at the lake today...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	images (6).jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	140452
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• SubDude
          Captain
          • Dec 2019

David, maybe this will work. Here is a short video of what I am seeing. There was nothing fouling the prop and everything in the motor bulkhead felt free. No binding of any kind detected except in the damaged motor which obviously got hot. I am happy to purchase another motor. Just IM me the details.

Comment

• SubDude
            Captain
            • Dec 2019

Got the motor David. Again, thank you very much! I got the Redoutable fixed and back in the water on my second attempt after one silly mishap sent me home on the first try. The second run was a much needed success! Every time I go run it I learn something new.

Comment

• SubDude
              Captain
              • Dec 2019

Good advice. When I was reassembling the motor bulkhead the two washers that keep the drive shaft gear from moving forward and disengaging fell off and I didn't notice it. Got it to the lake and the propeller stopped turning because the gear disengaged from the shaft. Once home I got it apart and realized that they were missing. Found them on the floor were I had been working on it. All better now.

Comment

• SubDude
                Captain
                • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                Yeah, no kidding! I will also add a big DOH as well. Lol

Comment

• SubDude
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2019

Two crummy washers, and again, you're dead in the water.

We having fun yet, Steve?

David
                  Getting there. Learning comes before the fun. At least this time I had my fishing pole and after fixing it I did go back out for a successful run.

Comment

• SubDude
                    Captain
                    • Dec 2019

Looks like the winding to me.. Upon further inspection there may have been more drag on the drive shaft bushings than I realized which contributed to this failure although it wasn't like that when I put it together so still puzzled on that on that one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200615_084551_copy_2419x1814.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	140678

Comment

• SubDude
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2019

OK. Thanks for the look-see, Steve. Yeah, carbonized armature wire insulation. seized motor no doubt. Where was the fuse, ahead or behind the ESC, and what was it rated for (and was it quick or slow pop)?

David
                      Obviously I am still learning... what fuse?

Comment

• SubDude
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2019

LOL.

No shaming here. I don't use them myself.

But it's good practice to put a quick-acting fuse between the ESC and motor. The idea is to open the circuit before a seized motor (bad running gear or fowled propeller) pulls enough current to either fry the ESC or itself.

David
                        Not a bad idea at all. I will consider installing one. Is there a method for determining what size to go with? Measure the current and multiply by 1.35 for a slo-blo?

Comment

Working...