USS SHARK SSN-591 RC Submarine: Interactive 360Fly Camera Test

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    replied
    Wow! Stunning performance of both submarine and camera. You're doing ground-breaking stuff here, Ed!

David

Leave a comment:

• USS SHARK SSN-591 RC Submarine: Interactive 360Fly Camera Test

1:48 Scale SKIPJACK Class RC Submarine (DeBoer Hull)

2019-10-13 1st VR Camera Test, 360FLY. Lake Ronkonkoma NY
    A "Kraken Division"/SCLI Video Report

I finally got around to doing this.

Too be honest, I really wanted to try in Groton, but those two days were a blur. Plus the fact that with Rich Kohlbrecher's help, we had trimmed the SHARK to such perfection that I didn't want to take her out!

Now that it's done, I have mixed results.

The Good:
    Video: Running on the surface, very cool. Especially when you're among other RC watercraft. The interactive (panning around) is very cool.
    Sounds: Good Audio , you can hear the people ashore as well as the operation of machinery aboard SHARK.
    The air bubbling from the venting as she dives, and the Low Pressure Blower air pump or Gas blow when she surfaces. Good ears can probably get a turn count on the prop when she's submerged. Any Sonarmen out there??
    Trimming: The compensation foam wasn't bad, say 4in³ or so for allowance of the 360Fly itself. Need to have it higher somehow next time. Surfaced we had a port list of ~7° per the telemetry after seeing it visually. You do see this in the video. Funny that submerged it seemed fine as the roll telemetry came back 0° with the usual 3-4° banking in a turn at my "ghosting" along speed.

The Bad:
    Video submerged is not what I suspected, much less hoped for. At least here at this lake. Granted Lake Ronkonkoma is not the clearest, and perhaps the clarity is really just 14" in this lake based on the camera’s position and distance to the Sail. Makes sense because walking in and seeing the bottom is misleading, what you think is deep, really isn't. At scale this was equivalent to 60' lol. Another cause could be a lensing effect as the water passes by the "fisheye" lens of the camera. The model is moving, and the camera is pointing up, fairly close to the surface. But I by no means go at warp speed, I prefer "ghosting" along, and the lens of the camera averaged about 4" or so deep. Deep enough I would think as to not have any surface effect.

Now remember, these are interactive, 360° videos. Use your mouse to look all around as the play. Use it to keep an eye on RAYFISH at it sails in formation, where the boats headed, off the beam, astern, etc

What one would (should) expect (lol): New 4K Underwater 360 Action Camera

What we got. (No worries, I edited out over 15 minutes of submerged time):
    USS SHARK SSN-591 RC Submarine: Interactive 360Fly Camera Test

More experimentation is needed, therefore science marches on!
    AIn't this hobby the best'est?!?!

Now I have to search for clear waters, hopefully before PROTEUS is finished!
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 10-19-2019, 08:46 AM.
Working...