X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken_NJ
    Captain
    • Sep 2014

Groton 2016 Sub Fun Run

The only video I took this year was from a GoPro mounted on my fishing boat and followed submarines around the lake. That is this video.

I also mounted it on my fast electric boat KAAMA

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Thanks for posting those videos. Looks like you had a great day! Did you get your MARLIN into the water? I did not see any of the submarines running under the water. Who was in attendance, Ken?

Ellie and I will try to make the one next year.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Ken_NJ
      Captain
      • Sep 2014

Was a beautiful day! Mostly everyone from last year was there, some were not, not as large of a crowd this year. Marlin ran like a champ! I had to work on the lights just in case we ran at night but everyone started leaving around 3-4. Hopefully next year we can get diehards to stay for a night sail.

Yohan, I get that spelling right? He was getting frequency glitches on his type 26. Ed lost a boat, it sank someplace out in the middle. Think it was the Blueback? Ed and Eddie and a Navy guy mowed the lawn with snorkel & mask but could not find it. They told the powers that be that it is there when they drain the lake next week, hopefully it shows up.

Not as many boats in the water but they went under. My final run I had the Marlin running at snorkel depth for like a 1/2 hour straight.

Looking forward to having the Skipjack done for next year.
      Last edited by Ken_NJ; 09-13-2016, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Very "empty" day, but that's ok.

We had a blast, even with "Grey Lady down!"

Fortunate about this particular run pond, is that they drain it November/December so you can just walk out and grab it!
        Both Bill Lambing and Joe Oliver are coordinating with MWR to have Rich Kohlbrecher get on base after it's drained. He'll do a recon of the lake as well to get a better feel for where the deeper areas actually are. MWR of course are alerted as well to keep a weather eye out for BLUEBACK.

May be to late to perform an adequate post mortem, but I'm sure it was more than Eddie not filling the gas. At that point the boat should have been to light to continue the dive w/o planing her down.
        She took on water. That old Manley WTC was problematic due to age. Every time I looked at it a new crack appeared!

I'm sure Eddie will be reaching out for a Sub-Driver. After all it's his boat and he's old enough to purchase his own!
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• SSN687
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Nov 2015

13 September 2016
          When is the Sub Fun Run scheduled for 2017? I tried looking this Sub Fun Run up for 2016 on the internet and all I got was information on running schedules for the sub base.
          I haven’t been back to the Sub Base since I was discharged in October 1978. I do have some friends from the boat, SSN687, that still live and work in the area. It would make a good excuse for me to drive up there for the Sub Fun Run in 2017 and visit my yankee friends. I'm sure that there is still a communication barrier, that they still talk to fast for me to understand and I talk to slow for them to listen to me.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

You need to contact Ray Mason to get on the list. PM me for his EMAIL.

It requires a low-level background check.

Email Ray and he'll be HAPPY to put you on the reminder list which will come out around March.

At that point you contact him and set up your preferred method to get him your SSN and other data required. DO NOT SEND THAT VIA EMAIL!!!
            Last edited by QuarterMaster; 09-13-2016, 10:21 AM.
            v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Ken_NJ
              Captain
              • Sep 2014

Are there any pictures of the drained lake? Would be nice to see what it looks like from many angles just to get a visual.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

I asked Rich Kohlbrecher to do it when he retrieves BLUEBACK.
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster
                  Very "empty" day, but that's ok.

We had a blast, even with "Grey Lady down!"

Fortunate about this particular run pond, is that they drain it November/December so you can just walk out and grab it!
                  Both Bill Lambing and Joe Oliver are coordinating with MWR to have Rich Kohlbrecher get on base after it's drained. He'll do a recon of the lake as well to get a better feel for where the deeper areas actually are. MWR of course are alerted as well to keep a weather eye out for BLUEBACK.

May be to late to perform an adequate post mortem, but I'm sure it was more than Eddie not filling the gas. At that point the boat should have been to light to continue the dive w/o planing her down.
                  She took on water. That old Manley WTC was problematic due to age. Every time I looked at it a new crack appeared!

I'm sure Eddie will be reaching out for a Sub-Driver. After all it's his boat and he's old enough to purchase his own!
                  We'll take his money!

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                    Rear Admiral
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Ken_NJ
                    The only video I took this year was from a GoPro mounted on my fishing boat and followed submarines around the lake. That is this video.

Ken, fabricate a "clip on" ventral mount for the fishing boat so we can mount my GoPro simultaneously under your keel that can look forward underneath for you as chase camera, or looking aft past your 4 props to see subs chasing you.

I'll get extra batteries for mine to extend run time.
                    v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

THIS is what you can expect to see next year when USS SHARK chasing the fishing vessel SS Miss Belmar!!

Chase Video
                      v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...