Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Shop Tricks, Special Tools, Jigs and Holding-Fixtures

A quick look at how I modified the bed of this nifty Harbor Freight cut-off saw. I changed the stock holding scheme by removing the supplied mini-vice and replacing it with a simple V-channel holding fixture. Along the length of the V-channel I marked off specific lengths, guides that later dictated the lengths of brass bar, rod, and tube -- all pieces that go into the fabrication of a 1/72 torpedo launcher.

The mini cut-off saw available from harbor freight is a good tool, but only after you removing the safety-guard which has to be operated by hand to drop the saw onto the work, very aggravating when you're doing production work; removal of the saw return spring; and replacing the nearly useless (under-engineered) angle adjustable work holding vice. Here you see the removed parts and the new V-channel stock holding fixture ready to be bolted onto the saws bed. The other shot is of the two shop drawings I use as I manufacture production versions of our 1/72 torpedo launcher.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0139.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	99996

Name:	DSCN0164.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	99999

Name:	DSCN0156.jpg
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	99997

Most of the fastening of the new holding fixture was done with 3/32" pop-rivets. Note that during the alteration work on the saw I removed the bed from the saw portion of the tool. The V-channel is 1/16" thick, 1/2" X 1/2" aluminum secured from the local hardware store.

Name:	DSCN0134.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	99993Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0141.jpg
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	99995

Cheat-marks in pencil within the V-channel to the right of the blade guided me as I cut specific items of brass stock to length. Eliminating the bulky and unreliable vice and substituting the V-channel stock holding fixture greatly simplified and speeding up production work.

Name:	DSCN0145.jpg
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	99994Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0153.jpg
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	99992

Here you see an assembled and ready-for-use launcher next to the major brass items used in its fabrication. Most machining was done on the saw, with lesser efforts made at the lathe and mill. Last shot is of the bagged brass parts ready for more machining, fitting, and soldering.

Name:	DSCN0157.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	99998Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0160.jpg
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	100000
    ________
    NEW MEXICO DISPENSARY
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:30 AM.
    Who is John Galt?
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

I'm curious how you make the o-ring channel in the breech block.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
      I'm curious how you make the o-ring channel in the breech block.
      A very small inside-cutting tool was ground specifically for that job. The graduated scale on the nob of the cross-slide of the tool holder makes those tiny inside cuts quick and sure.

David,
      ________
      Vaporizer affiliate
      Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 02-19-2011, 02:30 AM.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

David, any more modified tools you can show, like the electric hand drill turned mini lathe.
        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• george
          Captain
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          A quick look at how I modified the bed of this nifty Harbor Freight cut-off saw. I changed the stock holding scheme by removing the supplied mini-vice and replacing it with a simple V-channel holding fixture. Along the length of the V-channel I marked off specific lengths, guides that later dictated the lengths of brass bar, rod, and tube -- all pieces that go into the fabrication of a 1/72 torpedo launcher.

The mini cut-off saw available from harbor freight is a good tool, but only after you removing the safety-guard which has to be operated by hand to drop the saw onto the work, very aggravating when you're doing production work; removal of the saw return spring; and replacing the nearly useless (under-engineered) angle adjustable work holding vice. Here you see the removed parts and the new V-channel stock holding fixture ready to be bolted onto the saws bed. The other shot is of the two shop drawings I use as I manufacture production versions of our 1/72 torpedo launcher.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3974[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3977[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3975[/ATTACH]

Most of the fastening of the new holding fixture was done with 3/32" pop-rivets. Note that during the alteration work on the saw I removed the bed from the saw portion of the tool. The V-channel is 1/16" thick, 1/2" X 1/2" aluminum secured from the local hardware store.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3971[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3973[/ATTACH]

Cheat-marks in pencil within the V-channel to the right of the blade guided me as I cut specific items of brass stock to length. Eliminating the bulky and unreliable vice and substituting the V-channel stock holding fixture greatly simplified and speeding up production work.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3972[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3970[/ATTACH]

Here you see an assembled and ready-for-use launcher next to the major brass items used in its fabrication. Most machining was done on the saw, with lesser efforts made at the lathe and mill. Last shot is of the bagged brass parts ready for more machining, fitting, and soldering.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3976[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]3978[/ATTACH]
          ________
          NEW MEXICO DISPENSARY
          Is it possible to post a clearer/darker lined image of your 2 production drawing pages? It is a little hard to see for my old eyes.
          Thanks

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by george

Is it possible to post a clearer/darker lined image of your 2 production drawing pages? It is a little hard to see for my old eyes.
            Thanks
            How bout this?

Name:	DSCN0164 (2).JPG
Views:	277
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	159584

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
              Captain
              • Dec 2010

Hello again

Sorry but I can make out most of page one the schematic of the breech BUT I can`t see any information detail on page two with the measurements. PLEASE can you redo that page.
              Again Thank You for your help.
              George

Comment

• Aug 2008

Name:	DSCN0164 (2).JPG
Views:	238
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	159594
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2010

Got the information from the Breech, Thanks. What is that inside angle between .093" & 0.125" ?

The launcher, I can`t see anything from that section?

Would you consider drawing that one over with the measurements?

Thanks Again for Your Time and Help.
                  George

Comment

• Aug 2008

Got the information from the Breech, Thanks. What is that inside angle between .093" & 0.125" ?

The launcher, I can`t see anything from that section?

Would you consider drawing that one over with the measurements?

Thanks Again for Your Time and Help.
                    George
                    I'm not going to invest my time re-inventing a broken wheel. That was an old, superseded design.

I'll help a reasonable amount but will step away when asked to joust wind-mills.

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
                      Captain
                      • Dec 2010

fair enough. The Breech was a Great help. Thanks Again for your Help.

Comment

• Aug 2008

fair enough. The Breech was a Great help. Thanks Again for your Help.
                        You're welcome, sir.

David
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...