X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

What is Cold Shrink?

My electrician Buddy gave me some of this stuff to play with-I was instantly amazed. This is used primarily to cover cables underground or in the weather- It is much stronger than heat shrink...and cutting it is like cutting a radiator hose! If you are looking to waterproof something-forget electrical tape -ditch that heat shrink...if this can be used on what you are working on-I suggest try Cold shrink

• CC Clarke
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Aug 2020

Looks great for underground lines, IP-68 is waterproof - not watertight. This material is going to be less pliable and have a larger min bend radius. For electricians, it's a good product. It is not acceptable for electronics production work. (I'm an IPC-certified, high-reliability cable and harness workmanship instructor.)

For the wire OD's you're working with in this hobby, high-quality, polyolifin heat shrink works fine. After that, potting.

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by CC Clarke
      Looks great for underground lines, IP-68 is waterproof - not watertight. This material is going to be less pliable and have a larger min bend radius. For electricians, it's a good product. It is not acceptable for electronics production work. (I'm an IPC-certified, high-reliability cable and harness workmanship instructor.)

For the wire OD's you're working with in this hobby, high-quality, polyolifin heat shrink works fine. After that, potting.
      Try to think outside the box and not use it for what it was designed for-
      IP-68 is the environment where most model subs operate (1.5 meters), this stuff is as small as .22" and as big as 3" if you wanted to stop the leaks in a beloved 3" cracked WTC ...or maybe make a motor/ prop shaft coupler (just shrink it over two 1/4 or bigger wheel collars) or if you just wanted to lessen the end cap to wtc tube oring spacing from clearance to interference (just pre slice a 1/4-1/2 Rubber band clamp and slip it over the end of the wtc tube before pulling the ripcord- and so on-BG
      Last edited by Bob Gato; 05-13-2023, 11:10 AM.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Bob Gato

Try to think outside the box and not use it for what it was designed for-
        IP-68 is the environment where most model subs operate (1.5 meters), this stuff is as small as .22" and as big as 3" if you wanted to stop the leaks in a beloved 3" cracked WTC ...or maybe make a motor/ prop shaft coupler (just shrink it over two 1/4 or bigger wheel collars) or if you just wanted to lessen the end cap to wtc tube oring spacing from clearance to interference (just pre slice a 1/4-1/2 Rubber band clamp and slip it over the end of the wtc tube before pulling the ripcord- and so on-BG
        ~~~~~~~~~~
        Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	171037
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

Working...