X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Gato
    Captain
    • Feb 2019

LIPO Batteries in model subs-consider this

Picking the perfect LIPO battery for a model sub can be daunting...Usually the choice is based on MAH value and voltage. The size and weight comes into play but is rarely considered-if it fits-its a go. The "C" rating is, in my opinion is a big factor also. C is the amount of amps that the battery pack can deliver in a brief draw (as in a fast electric boat or a ducted fan plane executing a go around) without destroying the pack. Subs rarely draw many amps (most draw less then 10-15amps) So why would you a want a 2200mah battery with a 50c rating-when they produce 2200mah batteries with a 35c rating that are 2/3 the size and weight. The Amperage (and watt hour) output is the same in both 2200 mah batteries(same run time) -remember that the load determines the amp draw (under 10-15 amps). The only way you would need 50 amp output is to feed a short circuit or fire! Bigger is not always better ( unless it means more watt hours and run time and C rating doesn't give runtime) ...BG
    Last edited by Bob Gato; 11-15-2022, 11:26 AM.
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Bob Gato
    Bigger is not always better...BG
    So basically you're telling me Bob, I shouldn't try to get my 1:48 Scale FLT II LA up on plane??
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

Not unless the captain wants to waterski..

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

-It will fit in the dry compartment so I am going with two parallel 2200mah lipos protected against back charging by two 15 amp Schottky diodes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PB170001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.0 KB ID:	166916

Click image for larger version  Name:	PB170003.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.6 KB ID:	166917

Click image for larger version  Name:	PB170002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.1 KB ID:	166918

Last edited by Bob Gato; 11-17-2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Working...