• gantu
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

Mast lifting systen

Regards Gantu
  • neitosub
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Nov 2021

Very cool, can be made to work with a waterproof servo.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

It works, but I'd be interested in seeing how it fits in the tower. The servo is sitting about halfway up the retracted scopes. You'll also have the weight of the servo high up, contributing to instability and increasing the ballast tank requirement.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

You don't have to be a slave to the localized servo. The servo does not need to be where the thing being actuated is! That's what God gave us linkages for -- to put the servo where is makes sense and to transmit its motion where that motion has to be, no matter the distance or obstacles between servo and item being moved.

Mike! Where the hell are you? Show these kids how it's done.

David
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-02-2022, 03:22 PM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

Very true, but in the configuration posted, the movement is based on a long arm providing the needed travel. That setup is pretty inefficient in terms of use of space. I was specifically referring to the setup, as posted in the video. Obviously there are a ton of different ways to make this work....

Comment

• Sam Victory
            Commander
            • Sep 2021

If it were me, I would use a peristaltic pump to achieve the desired effect. The slow speed of the peristaltic pump can make the periscope lift a little more realistic, compared to the ordinary air pump. I didn't watch the video, so I don't know what kind of submarine it is and what its periscope looks like. If the periscope is shaped like a slender rod, you can make the bottom into a piston and let it move freely up and down in a tube by a peristaltic pump.

V

Comment

• MFR1964
              Detail Nut of the First Order
              • Sep 2010

That seems to be a liftingmechanism for the 212, i rather prefer using air, like i have on most of my boats, size of your boat isn't a limited factor with the use of those small LPB's and a reverse airswitch.

Manfred.
              I went underground

Comment

• mike27283
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Aug 2020

At the 'gentle' prodding of my mentor I'm posting information, pictures and a link to some videos of a lifting mechanism I developed for my Skipjack...

Credit to 'HWSNBN' for the magnetic shuttle idea. Thank you David!

- Goal was to have a realistic looking mast assembly that could raise and lower with internal antennas and lighting for my Skipjack.
                - Not shown in the pictures and video (tested but not yet installed) is a small magnetic relay that will be closed or opened by a magnet that rides on the lifting mechanism. The open or closed condition will route a signal to the Parallax BS2 microcontroller to turn on the Masthead light and Sub ID Beacon (located at the top of the snorkel) when the masts are in the 'not down' position.
                - I used a 1/4" ID linear servo (obtained from Servo City online) riding on a brass tube which lifts and lowers a brass platform that impinges on the masts to raise them. There is another brass fixed platform that serves as the rest or stop at the bottom of travel to stop the masts at the flush position. I leave the antennas in the 'bumped' position (standard position they would be in near periscope depth) because it gives them more travel and I like they way they look...
                - The bottoms of each antenna and the periscope are secured using magnets.
                - The upper portion of the sail contains RC-3 which was poured around the masts (covered in PVA and wax to prevent sticking) to create 'sockets' for the masts to ride through. In retrospect I should have crafted fluted ends to the masts so as they raise to the upper position they socket and guide into the penetrations - I'll do that for my next build.
                - The shuttle mechanism is driven via magnetic coupling from a WTC internal linear servo that is pushing/pulling several magnets. Genius idea...but David already knows that... No cable or penetration required!
                - The external magnet (on the final design I used only one magnet) is drilled and soldered to a brass tube which then moves a U-shaped assembly (think a trumpet) that in turn moves the throttle cable (which terminates with a magnet) which couples to the magnet at the bottom of the lifting platform.
                - The U-shaped assembly is secured using 4-40 screws.

Enjoy!

Mike

Link to Videos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	kDRPJY.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	157544Click image for larger version

Name:	6yGfnu.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	157545Click image for larger version

Name:	jRrtBg.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	157546Click image for larger version

Name:	m0IbO4.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	157547Click image for larger version

Name:	Hv7Mw7.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	157548Click image for larger version

Name:	xWlyLE.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	157549Click image for larger version

Name:	4CbM61.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	157550

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by mike27283
                  At the 'gentle' prodding of my mentor I'm posting information, pictures and a link to some videos of a lifting mechanism I developed for my Skipjack...

Credit to 'HWSNBN' for the magnetic shuttle idea. Thank you David!

Change the aspect 90-degrees and throw in a walk-way bridge and that #4 MOV file of yours looks like the Krell ventilator shaft scene with that big, hairy anode going up and down in a stately manner. Spooky!

krell ventilator shaft - Bing images

Well done, Mike!

"Look down, Gentlemen... are you afraid?"

David
                  Just for you, Casey
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• mike27283
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Aug 2020

Yes it does! Great movie .. as you say - you never know how inspiration will strike!

Comment

• Das Boot
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Dec 2019

The fool, the meddling idiot. As though his ape's brain could contain the secrets of the Krell.
                      Casey
                      Just for you, Dave.
                      Last edited by Das Boot; 01-02-2022, 08:19 PM.
                      Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

Working...