X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

3D ABS printing: Tragedy then triumph!

I print in ABS, for no other reasons than I like the way it "feels" (strange comment from a dude who's all about spec's and requirements) and subsequently decided I'm going to focus, and get good at, printing one material as opposed to being mediocre at printing many.

So this is not about which printing material you think is best. You choose.

Anyway, I read an article which talked about "annealing" both ABS and PLA, and decided I it was worth a shot. In a nutshell "annealing" is heat treating your 3D prints to increase their strength. You realign the molecules. I'm looking for any increase in strength so they don't SPLIT long the layers.

I could see that happening to the exposed PROTEUS nozzles as some "touchy-feely" youngster grabs them. To be fair , or an old blind goat bumps into them as well.

You know they're out there!

If you're interested to learn more about it, and the process involved, this is the article I used: How to Anneal Your 3d Prints for Strength

Needless to say my first attempt at "annealing" 3D ABS prints lead to some rather "interesting" but useless pieces of art. Object's better suited for a Dr. Seuss book or movie.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200112_094544.jpg Views:	0 Size:	94.5 KB ID:	136393

I set the oven for 210° (Convection as suggested), waited an hour where it stabilized exactly to 210° per the thermometer.

Placed the parts in it, saw it had dropped to 200° in opening the door. Walked away for 3-4 minutes to prep for today's build, came back to verify the oven returning to 210° and saw it had risen to 250°, and saw the "art" pieces. I think the oven shot up to compensate for the drop in temp when I opened the door. Funny that the Nozzles which became Noodles reminded me of the eponymous hat in "Cat in the hat". Those beautiful engine mounts are warped beyond repair lol

6 months of prints...sigh.

AT least the designs are still in the printer.

IMNSHO there is NO way you can control an ordinary kitchen oven this way. Maybe you can, but I'm going a different route.

Acetone Vapor Bath.

Not getting in depth, so Ii you're interested to learn more about it, and the process involved, I used THIS article: Acetone Polishing (Smoothing) of ABS and ASA – a step-by-step guide

It did make them look good, and while it may not make them as strong as if I anneal them, any strength benefit is a plus from the original, they didn't shrink, and they looked good!

I bathed them for 17m30s and left alone for an hour.

Sticking with this!

Click image for larger version  Name:	01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.3 KB ID:	136395

Click image for larger version  Name:	02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.2 KB ID:	136396

Click image for larger version  Name:	03.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.9 KB ID:	136397

Click image for larger version  Name:	04.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.0 KB ID:	136398
    Attached Files
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 01-30-2020, 02:16 PM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • Scott T
    Commander
    • May 2009

So since your oven shoots up in temperature maybe try starting at 150°F and once it shoots up to 180° then set the dial to 200° and don't turn your back on it.
    You could practice this on the orange art you created.

Comment

Working...