Rusting Effects with Modern Masters Iron Paint-new formulation?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

I think you are getting there!
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Michael Laubach
      Ensign
      • Feb 2018

Thanks! I did see another rusting effects product. It is sophisticated effects rusting. I am ordering this along with fine iron filings. To do some more tests.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0664.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	126113

Comment

• Michael Laubach
        Ensign
        • Feb 2018

I wanted to finish up this thread on rusting effects with my experience. I did find that the best way for rusting effects (in my opinion) was to go the route of using the fine iron filings powder mixed in the watered down Elmer’s glue ( David Merriman’s Idea). Let that mixture dry, apply the VHS solution previously described. Let the chemical reaction go to completion. Afterwards, apply a sodium bicarbonate solution to neutralize the acid. If the rusting is too orange, make up rust powder previously described (OUTDOORS with PLENTY of VENTILATION and WEAR a RESPIRATOR). Use the powder lightly water wetted with a brush to tone down the orange rust if wanted. I hope this helps some people out! If you do have questions, let me know.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Good stuff, sir. Thank you for taking us through your process.

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Michael Laubach
            Ensign
            • Feb 2018

Anytime David. It was my pleasure!

Comment

Working...