• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Amati Type VII Uboat on eBay

Hey, everyone

I got a message from Dave Colton saying that he's selling his Amati uboat kit on eBay. I'm not interested, but maybe one of you might be. These are apparently out of production. I'm not familiar with them and I'm not affiliated with Dave at all. Just helping him out with this post.

Mr. Martin:

I have an Amati Uboat kit for sale on ebay. I'm selling it for $255 (recently dropped the price from $275) including shipping. If you or someone you know might be interested, it is listed here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/403098583581

As you know, the kit is no longer in production and I think I have it priced well considering that I am paying shipping.

Thanks for you consideration.

Dave Colton
    Waynesboro, VA
  • goshawk823
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Oct 2010

I had one. For static only, in my opinion. Basically, it's some type of solid hardened foam hull, with no limber holes, panel lines, etc. As can be seen in the ebay ad, there's resin, photoetch and extras in the kit included to build out a Type VIIB. Just FYI, unless you create a mold and cast it as a hollow hull, I don't see how this could be made R/C...and even as a static kit, it is a lot of work. They have been out of production for a while.

Comment

• Schmitty1944
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Mar 2021

I have a lot of experience with this kit. It came out around 1995, long before the Revell 1/72 plastic kit. It was fantastic for its time and still a very nice model today. The photoetch is beautiful and there is lots of it. Most of the limber holes including the sides of the hull are photoetch so you don't need to cut those out. The Resin parts are also very nicely cast but not strong enough for RC use. I made several of these as RC models by doing exactly as Goshawk suggested. I made a mold off of the kits resin hull and then made fiberglass hollow hulls. I still have one finished working model (I sold a couple) although it hasn't been in the water in at least a decade. I have another partially built and I still have the molds I made and was surprised to find there was another hull still in them in raw untrimmed form.

I had also made several more hulls for other people in the subcommittee but I don't know if anybody else ever actually finished one. My RC version split at the waterline and was a dry hull with a gas ballast system. I made all my own parts from brass including the vent valve, propellers, planes, rudders, guards etc. The ones in the kit are nice but not strong enough for RC.

So why would anyone want this kit today when you can buy the more detailed Revell kit for less money? I think it's still worth it. The kit was about $299 when it was new. It's the less commonly modeled variant of a VIIb. The photoetch is amazing. I love plastic models and I am in no way knocking plastic model conversions but having something made of metal and fiberglass seems more substantial to me but that might just be an old guy thing. I also think a dry hull works well for a model in this size where weight isn't an issue. If anybody wants a hull I do still have those molds, But be warned making them into an RC model is a lot of work.

Jason
      Attached Files

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Schmitty1944
        I have a lot of experience with this kit. It came out around 1995, long before the Revell 1/72 plastic kit. It was fantastic for its time and still a very nice model today. The photoetch is beautiful and there is lots of it. Most of the limber holes including the sides of the hull are photoetch so you don't need to cut those out. The Resin parts are also very nicely cast but not strong enough for RC use. I made several of these as RC models by doing exactly as Goshawk suggested. I made a mold off of the kits resin hull and then made fiberglass hollow hulls. I still have one finished working model (I sold a couple) although it hasn't been in the water in at least a decade. I have another partially built and I still have the molds I made and was surprised to find there was another hull still in them in raw untrimmed form.

I had also made several more hulls for other people in the subcommittee but I don't know if anybody else ever actually finished one. My RC version split at the waterline and was a dry hull with a gas ballast system. I made all my own parts from brass including the vent valve, propellers, planes, rudders, guards etc. The ones in the kit are nice but not strong enough for RC.

So why would anyone want this kit today when you can buy the more detailed Revell kit for less money? I think it's still worth it. The kit was about $299 when it was new. It's the less commonly modeled variant of a VIIb. The photoetch is amazing. I love plastic models and I am in no way knocking plastic model conversions but having something made of metal and fiberglass seems more substantial to me but that might just be an old guy thing. I also think a dry hull works well for a model in this size where weight isn't an issue. If anybody wants a hull I do still have those molds, But be warned making them into an RC model is a lot of work.

Jason
        So, Jason. You copied someone else's work and sold some of those copies. Did you secure permission of the property owner to do so?

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Schmitty1944
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Mar 2021

I didn't sell any hulls by themselves. Every hull I made meant purchasing an entire kit to get the other parts.

Jason

Comment

Working...