X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

1/48 scale George Washington SSBN-656

Yep, you read that right. A 1/48 scale George Washington Carver, baby... all 100 or so inches of her!

This was originally built by Andrei Burgess, a very accomplished scratch-builder. The hull is fiberglass, laid up in a highly professional manner and weighing in at what I'm guessing to be no more than 8 or 10lbs total. There is a rear access panel to get at the rear linkages and prop shaft, and the front of the boat undoes with a screw in the lower hull, slipping forward and off to gain access to the interior. The upper hull and deck remains in place, though if you really want, you could cut it at the waterline to gain access to the entire interior.

All linkages are well-engineered and free-moving. Likewise, the prop shaft is very free-spinning and well-designed. The upper missile deck is not yet complete, but the framework and panels are included to finish it off. No running gear is included (it was originally engineered with a separate watertight box (old-school, baby!). So, you'll get a beautifully built boat with the hard parts done for you. Just add your guts and you've got one of the most unique RC subs in the world! Click image for larger version  Name:	GeorgeWashington (5).jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.7 KB ID:	132091
    Click image for larger version  Name:	GeorgeWashington (6).jpg Views:	3 Size:	43.4 KB ID:	132096
    Click image for larger version  Name:	GeorgeWashington (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	42.1 KB ID:	132093
    Click image for larger version  Name:	GeorgeWashington (4).jpg Views:	1 Size:	36.7 KB ID:	132094
    Click image for larger version  Name:	GeorgeWashington (3).jpg Views:	1 Size:	27.8 KB ID:	132095
    Click image for larger version  Name:	GeorgeWashington (6).jpg Views:	3 Size:	43.4 KB ID:	132097

If you're after a unique boat that offers massive opportunity for customization or features, this is what you're after. The best part, I'm letting it go for NOTHING compared to it's worth. First $1000 obo takes it! The boat is currently located in Virginia Beach, VA, but will be in Naples, FL at around the end of this month. Shipping is available, but if you're near either location, pickup is highly recommended.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RCSubGuy; 05-11-2019, 04:07 PM.
  • Subculture
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

Truss available as an optional extra?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
      Truss available as an optional extra?
      LOL. Smart-ass. One would think it's a heavy boat. But, as Bob pointed out, it's surprisingly light. (I honestly don't understand why we have to put up with you foreigners, and your godless metric system).

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Don't mean to question your boat identification, especially considering who I'm challenging here, but the lines don't appear to be a 598 class.

I was thinking, 616 Lafayette or 627 James Madison at first. But I spy 656 GW Carver in the sail so methinks USS George Washington Carver (SSBN-656), 640 Ben Franklin Class. That appears to be an articulated rudder.

The F/W are to low for my taste, as in the regal 627 Class, articulated rudder height may be short too ***cough***biased***cough***opinionated***cough-cough***effeminate ruler wielding purist***cough***

Still....my scale, a little mod......would look nice alongside 571, 591 & 722.

Me needs to think....

Why do you DO THIS TO ME BOB?!?!?!
        Last edited by QuarterMaster; 05-11-2019, 02:45 PM.
        v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

Good catch. Wow. I took a look by zooming into a part that had some writing on it. Sure enough SSBN 656, George Washington Carver.

I stand corrected (gratefully!) Thanks for the save!

Bob

Comment

Working...