My WFly wft-08 has died - HELP

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Good stuff, Tom. My transmitter went down about two weeks ago -- I was working up a new charging lead and assumed I got the polarity wrong and clobbered a diode or something. I'll check my units fuse. Thanks for the thread, you're teaching me stuff.

And a shout-out to WFly for the tech support. Much appreciated.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
      Admiral
      • Jul 2011

Here is the response I got:
      Hello Tom,

Here comes the spec of the fuse, you can change it if you can buy it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Catch0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	67162

Have a nice day

So I searched last night, and I can get 50 of these cheaply from China, but it was about 4 week estimated time of delivery. So I ordered from Digi-Key and ordered:
      F3289-ND FUSE SLOW 250VAC 1A AXIAL
      I think it is the right one.
      If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Now that a solution is at hand..... I want to figure what caused this, so it does not happen again (if I can prevent it). Are my batteries too strong for this? The batteries I am using are NiMH 1.2V with 2850mAh. They are in series, 8 of them, that on paper should only be 9.6v, but there must be an overage because they tested between 10.4 and 10.8v fully charged. Do the mAh also add together in series? If that is the case then this pack offers more than an Amp in power which is what the fuse is rated for since 1Amp = 1000 miliamps and my pack added up equals 2.28A. This is just me thinking this out and opening the door for discussion. Thoughts?
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• KevinMc
          Commander
          • Feb 2009

Ugh! I've got some catching up to do!

Originally posted by trout
          Heat! Yes it is a killer for computers and now that you mention it, when I ran the sub in the inflatable pool, the removable box in the back of the transmitter with the frequency on it seemed mighty warm to me (that may be normal), but I did not remember that until you mentioned it.
          Did you have the antenna up or down when doing this? When the antenna is down it causes an impedance mismatch which fouls up the energy transfer from the final amplifier stage to the antenna. The two results are that the transmitted signal is not as strong (good for range checking) and that the final output amplifier stage runs hotter (not so good for anything). I make a point of not running my tranmitters for any longer than necessary with the antenna collapsed.

Originally posted by trout
          Now that a solution is at hand..... I want to figure what caused this, so it does not happen again (if I can prevent it). Are my batteries too strong for this? The batteries I am using are NiMH 1.2V with 2850mAh. They are in series, 8 of them, that on paper should only be 9.6v, but there must be an overage because they tested between 10.4 and 10.8v fully charged. Do the mAh also add together in series? If that is the case then this pack offers more than an Amp in power which is what the fuse is rated for since 1Amp = 1000 miliamps and my pack added up equals 2.28A. This is just me thinking this out and opening the door for discussion. Thoughts?
          The fuse rating (1A) and the battery capcacity (2.85Ah) are two independant things. The first is sized for the rate at which your transmitter should be drawing current, where the second represents how much capacity your batteries have. You could think of the fuse rating like the maximum safe speed a car is allowed to travel at, your battery capacity then becomes the size of the gas tank. A bigger gas tank (battery) would allow you to drive for a longer period of time without affecting how fast you may drive. Make sense?

I also double checked your part number and I noticed that the fuse you've selected is a "slow blow" type - these are generally only used on circuits which electric drive motors or solenoids as these things have a significant "inrush" in the current when first turned on. For electronics like this a normal or fast-acting is typically more appropriate. (I also see that Digikey doesn't have any in stock with that form factor though.) Best to as the WFLY folks if one's that's all right.

To answer your capacity question, the capacity stays the same when you put batteries in series, you only add the voltage. When you place batteries in parallel the capacity adds and the voltage stays the same.
          Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
          KMc Designs

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Kevin, you make perfect sense! Thank you for clarifying! I am disappointed I got the wrong type of fuse....sigh...... Maybe I do have to order one from China. Do you have a source for one either in Canada or south of your border?
            Thank you for all your knowledge and willingness to share.
            Peace,
            Tom
            Last edited by trout; 04-15-2012, 01:30 AM.

Comment

• KevinMc
              Commander
              • Feb 2009

Your first source for parts is also mine. I did have a look around and found that the fast-blow equivalent of the part you've bought would be 0874001.MXEP and it's currently in stock at Mouser.com. (I haven't looked at what their shipping rates are, but they're probably on par with Digikey.)

As for choosing "the wrong type", remember it may not matter but just be aware that what you've got is not quite the same as what was in there before. The guys from WFLY may be fine with substitution of a slow-blow, or they may not, but only they can tell you.

No worries on all the explanations - the only way our hobby will continue to move forward is by people sharing what they know. I've been fortunate to have many people share things with me so when ever I can I like to pass what I've learned along as well.
              Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
              KMc Designs

Comment

• MFR1964
                Detail Nut of the First Order
                • Sep 2010

Tom,

There is a makeshift solution, take a big glassfuse with the same specs, solder some wires on the ends and replace it for your faulty fuse, in my profession i use this method when i don't have the right size fuse.
                Even new fuses can blow, i think it's because the fuse can't meet the needed specs or is a poor example of production.

Greetings Manfred.
                I went underground

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

@Kevin Thank you - I went ahead and ordered it from mouser.com, I found it last night, but wanted to see if you recommended someone else.

@Manfred - That is a good solution.
                  Last edited by trout; 04-15-2012, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• WFLY Technician
                    Ensign
                    • Apr 2012

Hello Tom,

How is the thing going now?

Joanna

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

Joanna,
                      I have some fuses on the way. Do you care if the fuse is slow blow or fast blow fuse?
                      和平,
                      Tom

Comment

• Scott T
                        Commander
                        • May 2009

There are small fuse that are similar in the plug of christmas light string.
                        They are probably slow blow or two high a amp rating.

Scott T

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Scott,
                          You really are a great thinker! You come up with some really good things. I would love to encourage you to build, what can we do to help you? PM me and let us talk.
                          Peace,
                          Tom

Comment

• WFLY Technician
                            Ensign
                            • Apr 2012

wfly always use the fast blow fuse to protect electric parts.

Joanna

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

Thank you, I now have both types coming in any day now. I will update this forum of the results.
                              Peace,
                              Tom

Comment

• trout
                                Admiral
                                • Jul 2011

The fuse came in and I installed the new 1a 250v fast fuse. It was exciting to install and the anticipation was high. Put the battery pack in, and.......

NOTHING!

It still does not work. What a let down.

I really need to see what WFly will do now. How can I get this resolved soon????

Comment

Working...