X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robert lipsett
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Mar 2010

I think my viper 10 blew up

I bought a 3.5 dual motor sub driver and a viper sub 10 controller. I am in the process of putting all the equipment together. I connected all the electronics together except for running the wires from the controller to the two motors. I used a dean connector from my 11. 1 lipo and made sure I had proper polarity. the controller led flashed and supplied power to my reciver and servos which worked properly. my snort pump which is connected directly to the battery was functioning properly. I un plugged the battery then connected the two wires from the controller too the two wires from the motors. I then plugged the battery back in and the controller did nothing no flashes no power for the bec. I then unplugged the battery and cut the motor wires. I replugged in the battery and the system is still dead. What should I do now and what should me meter read across the two motors to prove that they are good or bad. Did my motors blow up the controller?
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by robert lipsett
    I bought a 3.5 dual motor sub driver and a viper sub 10 controller. I am in the process of putting all the equipment together. I connected all the electronics together except for running the wires from the controller to the two motors. I used a dean connector from my 11. 1 lipo and made sure I had proper polarity. the controller led flashed and supplied power to my reciver and servos which worked properly. my snort pump which is connected directly to the battery was functioning properly. I un plugged the battery then connected the two wires from the controller too the two wires from the motors. I then plugged the battery back in and the controller did nothing no flashes no power for the bec. I then unplugged the battery and cut the motor wires. I replugged in the battery and the system is still dead. What should I do now and what should me meter read across the two motors to prove that they are good or bad. Did my motors blow up the controller?
    Robert,

A very similar thing happened to Mr. Caswell -- he managed to blow up his Viper-10 ESC in a like arrangement. Very unsettling to say the least. Hope we don't have a systematic problem here.

(Mike is my resident 'Angel Of Death' -- I send new product to him, if he can't screw it up in four-hours, then I know I have a bullet-proof product that can be release to the general public with good assurance it won't fail).

My first guess is that there is a short somewhere in the wiring between the motors and the output of the ESC -- check for that.

Did you forget to re-plug the three-wire lead from the ESC into the receiver channel-3 port?

A continuity check of the motors is a waste of time, you'll only read one set of pole windings at a time. Best just to hook up the battery straight to the motors and see if they run (after checking your motor wiring clean of any shorts) -- do not do this with the ESC hooked up, you'll kill the ESC for sure.

But, it sounds like your ESC has lost the magic smoke. Hook up a 4.5 (receiver) battery to a receiver port to insure all the devices still work (take the ESC plug out of the receiver for this test -- better yet, cut its input wires).

We'll walk you through this. Get back to me after performing the above.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
      Robert,

A very similar thing happened to Mr. Caswell -- he managed to blow up his Viper-10 ESC in a like arrangement. Very unsettling to say the least. Hope we don't have a systematic problem here.

(Mike is my resident 'Angel Of Death' -- I send new product to him, if he can't screw it up in four-hours, then I know I have a bullet-proof product that can be release to the general public with good assurance it won't fail).

David,
      I was going to write my standard reply to this sort of retort from The Wizard, but then my wife told me I couldn't use that particular phrase here.

Oh! Yes, and I also managed to break that really flimsy Snort manifold on top of my sub-driver. The little brass tube had about 1/96" or resin around it. **** poor design - not idiot proof! Umm What did I say? Err I mean - not well designed - even for the discerning modeler.
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Good job, Mike. Between your posts and mine we just chased away the last of our prospective customers.

Oh ... and you forgot to mention to the guys: the cylinders, in a cost savings effort suggested by you, are now fabricated from gelatin. And all power cabling is now bare wire aluminum conductor, not that expensive insulated stuff.

David,
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Good job, Mike. Between your posts and mine we just chased away the last of our prospective customers.

Oh ... and you forgot to mention to the guys: the cylinders, in a cost savings effort suggested by you, are now fabricated from gelatin. And all power cabling is now bare wire aluminum conductor, not that expensive insulated stuff.

David,
          I seem to recall you posted the following about one of my posts that was somewhat similar to this.

No one likes a smart-ass!

Comment

• robert lipsett
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Mar 2010

motors work great off the battery. rx battery plugged into the reciver makes everything work fine. The leds on the esc would not light up when it first died and now since it is not connected at all it will never light up again. I tried connecting power straight back into it and got no leds

Comment

• Aug 2008

RIP, ESC

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• robert lipsett
                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                • Mar 2010

now what do I do?

Comment

• Aug 2008

now what do I do?
                  Plug in a new ESC. Seriously.

David,
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• robert lipsett
                    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                    • Mar 2010

there is no warranty replacement on this thing?
                    Last edited by robert lipsett; 05-14-2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

so are you telling me I have to buy a new piece of garbage esc that might blow up. that there is no warranty replacement on this thing?

No. Honestly, Robert, no warranty on the ESC's. They are subject to this sort of thing. I too suffer the occasional ESC failure, and the only thing for it is to replace the unit.

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                        • Aug 2008

I'd like to see what Mtronics has to say about this. Do they want to look at these units? Lets find out.

Comment

• Albion
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2008

they are usually pretty bullet proof, you sure it was connected correctly
                          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• robert lipsett
                            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                            • Mar 2010

I followed the directions to a T the primary test before connecting the motors into the circuit went great, it powered up the reciever and the servos fine. I unplugged the battery and connected the two wires that ran off my motors to the two motor connectors for the esc. I then plugged in the battery and the esc was toast. I have tested the motors off the battery directly and they both run well.

Comment

• Kazzer
                              • Aug 2008

No. Honestly, Robert, no warranty on the ESC's.

David,
                              Not so David. Please look at the Mtronics web site which states -

If any of your items are faulty please let us know immediately on 01943 461482 or by emailing to enquiries@mtroniks.net and return them straight to us at the address below and we will exchange it for you as quickly as possible.
                              Please send your returns to:
                              Mtroniks Ltd.
                              41A Ilkley Road
                              Otley
                              West Yorkshire
                              LS21 3LP
                              UK

We very much look forward to being of service to you!

We have sold a lot of these units and never had a problem until this weekwhen I blew one up as well. So, I've never challenged Mtronics about warranties - I've had no need. I can't say it was my wiring because Mr. Merriman did the wiring, so maybe we do have a batch problem. Having said that, I wired in a new unit and so far, it's behaving perfectly.
                              Lets see what Mtronics say, hopefully they can get back to us on Monday. Maybe we'd best send the units back for their inspection?

Comment

Working...