X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenman407
    Admiral
    • Feb 2009

ADF2 default sensitivity setting

Kevin, in your instruction manual on the ADF2 the section under "sensitivity adjustment" states that the default sensitivity setting is three for the most sensitive. Does that mean that after you turn the sensitivity setting down to one, you have to reset it everytime you power up your submarine because the default setting puts it back to three?
    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!
  • KevinMc
    Commander
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by greenman407
    Does that mean that after you turn the sensitivity setting down to one, you have to reset it everytime you power up your submarine because the default setting puts it back to three?
    Hi Mark,

I'm guessing you'll have figured this out by now, but... No, the "default" is only indicative of how you'll find it when you take it out of the package. Once you set it, what ever you set it to will remain.
    Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
    KMc Designs

Comment

• greenman407
      Admiral
      • Feb 2009

Thanks Kevin. Unfortunately, somehow this one is changing on me, by itself. Maybe it will only happen once in a blue moon but I will be checking it from now on.

Comment

• KevinMc
        Commander
        • Feb 2009

So you're setting it down from it's highest setting and it's returning to the default of 3?
        What are you changing it to?
        KMc Designs

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Originally on the work bench with the subdriver out of the submarine the stern planes would go crazy at any sensitivity setting when running the motors. So I put it up front with the battery and it worked well. I put it in the sub and reset it to setting number 1, the least sensitivity setting and had a perfect run. Perfect periscope depth keeping all the way up to and including Full speed. The next time that I tried it about two weeks later it was all over the place , up and down and sideways. When I pulled it out of the water and ran the motors the stern planes were going crazy when I ran the motors. I took it back to my shop and reviewed again the instructions and cycled thru the set button and discovered that somehow it was back up to setting three again. I reset it back down to setting one and , on the bench, out of the water it so far looks good. Why, I dont know.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

Wanted to re-kindle this topic as I'm in the middle of a THOR Seawolf build using a Meriman SubDriver, ADF-2 and Lipo-Guard unit. I'm sure I've licked this before but can't remember back that far. Like the poster above, I get jittering on the rear planes (ADF controlled) when operating multiple servos at once, and a crazy dance when the drive is engaged. Is the solution a reduction in the sensitivity setting? or does the unit need to be relocated away from other electronics?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
              • Aug 2008

That's normal -- the ADF pitch sensor responding to the mechanical motion its subjected to from the other devices. The net motion of the stern plane servo will be the desired angular displacement as commanded from your transmitter and the vector sum of the corrective signal sent from the ADF. Live with it. I and everyone else does.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                Welcome to my underwater realm!
                • Aug 2009

LOL... Dave, I'm a pretty educated guy and I STILL needed to read that twice. I'm gonna reduce sensitivity anyway, just to **** you off.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  • Aug 2008

Argh!......

Hell, you might be right. Let us know what happens.

M
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
                    Commander
                    • Feb 2009

The short answer is "what HWSNBN said". :)

Bear in mind that you'll see more vibration induced noise on the bench than you will in the water, the water reduces your motor's max RPM and tends to damp things out a little.
                    KMc Designs

Comment

Working...