X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albion
    Captain
    • Dec 2008

adf set up

Looking at a 4 channel ex where I have front and rear Dove planes. Ideally front planes control dive, rear planes control attitude. What’s the process for set up?
    Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Two options I can think of:

CH1: Rudder
    CH2: Dive planes linked together (both actuate in tandem). AD2 pitch controller goes between receiver and dive plane servo. Override with transmitter, otherwise planes will work to keep boat on an even keel. This setup means boat will pitch up and down during diving or surfacing, then then level out with no input
    CH3: throttle
    CH4: ballast

CH2: Front planes
    * Rear planes (on a separate servo) run autonomously through the AD2. The AD2 just needs 5V power, no signal. Front planes pull the boat under. Rear planes work to keep the boat level. In this setup, the boat stay on an even keel (ish) at all times.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

I would advocate for option #2.

linked bow and stern planes only works at a specific speed-depth (surface-capture is a phenomena that makes independent control of these two horizontal control surfaces a must).

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

That, or buck up for a 6CH receiver (assuming you've got a 6ch radio). That gives you independent control of both bow and stern planes and offers up a spare channel for new, fun stuff in the future.

Comment

• Albion
          Captain
          • Dec 2008

Option2 is what I’m trying to use. I have an Rx with 6 sets of pins, 4 channels and power, I’ve plugged the pitch lead into the spare slot so it has power. During set up of adf2 it asks you to command full rise on planes. If I’m using power with no signal, do I just bypass that part of set up and push the set up button without taking any action?
          Next time someone points out it takes 42 muscles to frown, point out it will only take 4 muscles to b1tch slap them if they tell you how mnay muscles you need to smile:pop

Comment

• Albion
            Captain
            • Dec 2008

Talking of 6 channel, I picked up this transmitter, it’s unused but had no Rx or manual. It’s not sending any signal to the Rx, at least the servos aren’t moving, but if I turn off the Tx the servo twitches. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Albion
              Option2 is what I’m trying to use. I have an Rx with 6 sets of pins, 4 channels and power, I’ve plugged the pitch lead into the spare slot so it has power. During set up of adf2 it asks you to command full rise on planes. If I’m using power with no signal, do I just bypass that part of set up and push the set up button without taking any action?
              No. Temporarily plug the ADF into the ch-2 port (elevator on the transmitter). Go through all the set-up protocols. Now put the ADF lead back into the battery port and you're good to go.

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• KevinMc
                Commander
                • Feb 2009

Wow, I'm so late to the party everyone's already eaten all the chips'n'dip!

What David said - if you're going to go for Option 2 then set up the AD2 with it plugged in to Channel 2 (and with the radio set up if you were only going to be driving the stern planes) and then disconnect after that and reset your Tx for what you need to drive the bow planes appropriately.

There is actually a third option to consider, and this is a mode that I frequently run my little 1/144 KILO in:
                CH2: Bow plane direct from receiver, stern planes only through the AD2. Still lets you override pitch with transmitter. Depending on which way you have the bow planes move with respect to the stern planes for an UP or DOWN command you may either get a pronounced pitch change, or a level-bubble depth change.

The up-side to options 1 and 3 are that you can use the trim function on your transmitter if your AD2 zero bubble cal is a wee bit off. As noted above, with Option 3 you can experiment a little with different setups between front and rear servos - you can make the dive command from your transmitter send both front and rear planes in the same direction, or in opposite directions. One will result in the boat generally pitching up and down more, the other will result in keeping the boat more on an even level at all times. Which you prefer is entirely up to you. (I run my KILO setup for "more pitch", and my OSCAR set up for "more level".)

I'm not sure what to suggest about the transmitter - the twitch you see may just be a function of the proximity of the transmitter to the receiver and not necessarily an indication that the receiver is actually picking up a proper signal... Did the Tx come with a crystal, and does it happen to already be on the same channel as your Rx? If different, which crystal (between Tx and Rx) are you swapping to make them on the same channel? Do you have any other receivers you can test with? Presumably the Rx in question can be shown to work with another transmitter?

KMc
                Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
                KMc Designs

Comment

• Albion
                  Captain
                  • Dec 2008

I have a 4 channel Rx which works ok with a 4 channel futaba. Test 1 using no brand crystals in the futaba. Rx responds ok. Test 2 Switched both Tx and Rx to use the Carson crystals and no life in the Rx. Test 3 Put the no name crystals into the Rx and also the Carson 6channel Rx , no life , test 4 put the Carson crystals into the Rx and tx again no life.
                  Last edited by Albion; 03-31-2019, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• KevinMc
                    Commander
                    • Feb 2009

So, it's important to keep in mind that not all crystals are the same, and different transmitter manufacturers use different types of crystals. Where I'm going with this is it's not necessarily a valid test to take the crystal "set" from the Futaba Tx and use it in the Carson Tx, and vice versa. This is even more so the case with receiver crystals, since you also have to consider if the rx is a single conversion and dual conversion type.

Are all of these crystals on the same channel, or are they different? (If the same it will help to be able to mix and match better.)
                    KMc Designs

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by KevinMc
                      So, it's important to keep in mind that not all crystals are the same, and different transmitter manufacturers use different types of crystals. Where I'm going with this is it's not necessarily a valid test to take the crystal "set" from the Futaba Tx and use it in the Carson Tx, and vice versa. This is even more so the case with receiver crystals, since you also have to consider if the rx is a single conversion and dual conversion type.

Are all of these crystals on the same channel, or are they different? (If the same it will help to be able to mix and match better.)
                      Not to steal the thread, Kevin, but on the subject of crystals: I have a bunch of Lipton-6 receivers but none of the small UM-1 sized, single-conversion crystals on the 75mHz band. Any sources you know of (no luck checking out the GWS catalog).
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Albion
                        Captain
                        • Dec 2008

Thanks for all the responses , sorry I have side tracked this. I remembered I have an early adf2 which wasn’t compatible with a lot of Rx, wonder of this is the set. Will do some more experimenting. Also the Carson set is put to one side for now. More news later

Comment

• KevinMc
                          Commander
                          • Feb 2009

If you're suspicious about the ADF it's easy to diagnose - plug a servo directly into the Rx. If it works you know there's a good signal there. Next plug in the ADF and watch the LED sequence after the power-on self test. If it fails to detect the PITCH and FS signals then you have an incompatible unit.

KMc
                          KMc Designs

Comment

• KevinMc
                            Commander
                            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                            I have a bunch of Lipton-6 receivers but none of the small UM-1 sized, single-conversion crystals on the 75mHz band. Any sources you know of (no luck checking out the GWS catalog).
                            I'd try checking in from time to time on Ebay. It's getting thin there too, but every now and again things turn up.

KMc
                            KMc Designs

Comment

• small sub guy
                              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                              • Dec 2009

This is where I get my (um-1) 75mhz crystals.

Comment

Working...