X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • llangston1
    Lieutenant
    • Sep 2013

Proper yoke alinement for 1/96 Skipjack

So with the D&E 1/96 Skipjack hull how much travel should the yokes have? It appears that the pitch yoke travels aft behind the rudder yoke. So it’s hard stops would be the prop shaft for rearward or down plane travel and the rudder yoke on the forward or up plane travel. Should there be any hull interference as the yoke moves aftward? I seem to be getting some rubbing of the yoke on the inside of the outer hull. So should I do some light sanding/grinding to remove that rubbing. Perhaps the yokes need to be centered better. It’s hard enough just getting the hinge pins in the yokes and tightened as there is no a lot of room back there. I feel like I need a few more hands to hold the allen wrench, the flashlight, the boat, the control planes, etc.
    same questions on the rudder yoke. Their hard stops would be the pitch yoke going aft and the prop shaft coming forward. This yoke has no obvious interference with the outer hull.
  • a1965l
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Apr 2020

I'm at this step with the 688. I don't think there's any possible way to get more travel that what you've just described.. only trick is ensuring that the control horns don't interfere at any point in the travel. That's an issue I've come across already, but a little creative bending and locating of yokes and all is good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D7K_6293-X4.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	139727
    "It does not take so many words to speak the truth" Chief Joseph

Comment

• llangston1
      Lieutenant
      • Sep 2013

You have much more space in that rear section so you can can try to center the yokes on the hinge pins.My Skipjack Has no extra room.

Comment

• a1965l
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Apr 2020

I tried that... the control horns would touch at certain deflections of the surfaces, and I couldn't bend them in such a way that they didn't contact... this setup is a compromise. I get very nearly as much rudder travel as i did before, and they horns still touch but only at max deflection in one direction. I might still be able to center the rudder yoke once I actually connect the planes and set throws.. I'm certain I'm not going to be using full range of motion on the yoke, as those planes are going to be connected to the AD2. Pitch will be by fairwater planes alone.

Comment

• a1965l
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Apr 2020

That makes sense. Especially given that the fairwater planes should be clear of the water in a flooded condition, gonna be hard to drive the boat down with them. I went with the setup on the Akula, where the bow planes are used for pitch control and the stern planes are tied to the AD2 for depth control. Seems to work OK on that boat, but then the bow planes are always underwater, even at full positive bouyancy.

Comment

• trout
            Admiral
            • Jul 2011

Another route, and one I have done on my Walrus, is put a wheel collar with a horn on it at each plane shaft and use 1/16 wire to connect the planes further forward. Granted this is an x-tail however the setup would work on a standard cross arrangement. So, from each plane, it would connect to a corresponding pushrod coming out of the WTC.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	EB1DB165-8971-4979-8338-AAF0B5D90521.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	139813

Not sure if it is clear here, but this allows you to adjust individual dive planes easily. Hmmmm looking at this, I have another idea......
            Last edited by trout; 05-25-2020, 12:37 AM.
            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• a1965l
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Apr 2020

Completly unrelated, but for X planes... is there actually no mixing? One pair functions as rudders and one as planes, and I would guess that you'd want 2 upper and 2 lower paired up. Otherwise, that would be a fairly complicated mechanical mixer... or 4 servos and radio mixing.

Comment

• a1965l
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Apr 2020

I'm an engineer, and German by descent. So over-thinking runs in my blood by both training and genetics.

Comment

Working...