• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pjdog
    Commander
    • Apr 2009

Forward dive plane mechanics?

RC sub Gods:

The most difficult part of the Gato sub driver is the assembly of the forward drive plane mechanics. I just don't see mechanics to put the forward dive planes down? I've searched through the 5 Gato dvd's to no avail? I've looked at the Cabel reports on Sub Drivers. Anybody got a PICTURE on how that's put together. I understand that a dog bone thru a very long tube is going to rotate the gears on the front of the boat to drop the planes. But what's the set up at the motor end of the sub driver? Sorry about being the most noisy newbie but that's me. I just don't suffer in silence and I'm stuck.

Not a stupid question!

Jack
  • toppack
    Rear Admiral
    • Nov 2008

I think that was shown in this video:

(Use Quick-Time software to view this .mov file)
    Last edited by toppack; 06-29-2009, 08:24 PM.
    Rick L.
    --------------------------------------------
    * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
    Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• pjdog
      Commander
      • Apr 2009

thks

Thanks Rick.

Unfortunately that's the part I get. The torque tube and torque tube fittings on top of the S/D is pretty straight forward. It's the back end of the S/D that's got me puzzled. How does the servo move what to connect to the fitting with the set screw on the motor end of the torque tube on top of the S/D? Still stumped.

Seems like I need a sort of u shaped bracket on the motor end of the S/D. So the fitting with the like long neck and magnet and a metal piece with a wire down the middle can rotate back and forth. Being push and pulled by the push rod from the servo connected with magnets. This would cause the fitting on the end of the torque tube to move up or down (maybe). Man. What I need is a picture of the motor end of a Gato S/D. But I think I'm starting to see some light here. I'm not a mechanical person.

1. Servo moves, has a push rod with a magnet.
      2. Push rod moves, magnets on push rod hook up with magnet on long arm with metal that is flexi and has a magnet on the end.
      3. Motion of long arm with metal rod with magnet on the end hooks up to something.
      4. That's where I get lost. I don't see where the energy is passed from the magnet in the flexi long arm to the fitting on top of the S/D on the motor end of the S/D.

I think I'm missing something. Part.

Jack
      Last edited by pjdog; 06-29-2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• pjdog
        Commander
        • Apr 2009

I think the light came on.

The last dvd of the Gato build set (5) Mike Caswell shows the business end of a Gato S/D. And gives a dissertation on how the motor end of a Gato S/D moves the torque tube. A little fuzzy picture but I get the idea. I won't be ready with the Gato for vacation, however, I think I see what needs to be done.

The burning wood you smell was me thinking as hard as I could.

Jack, Not really a mechanical person.

Comment

• toppack
          Rear Admiral
          • Nov 2008

I didn't install the retract linkage in my Gato, but I think there needs to be a L shaped arm (bell-crank) mounted on a shaft, behind rear bulkhead, that converts the front-to-back movement of the servo rod to an up-down movement, to get the rotation of the torque-rod.
          Last edited by toppack; 07-01-2009, 02:21 PM.
          Rick L.
          --------------------------------------------
          * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
          Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• pjdog
            Commander
            • Apr 2009

yepper

That's correct Rick. Mike Caswell shows a Gato S/D business end on the 5th Gato DVD. I'll start a bracket tomorrow to get the forward dive planes working. I pieced together a model of the parts. I don't have the aluminum, I have brass but I'll work up something. I wanted to get the Gato ready by Friday for vacation but I'll not make it. I'll have to settle for the type-7 in the pool.

Jack

Comment

• SubCapt
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • Jul 2009

Bow plane retracts

Jack,
              It's not you so don't feel bad. I'm at the same place you were and hopefully you have the retracts working by now. I don't know why this part isn't covered better since it is the most difficult to understand. The small picture of the working end looked like the tube changed into a wire due to the blue tape. There also doesn't seem to be any mention of the need to remove some of the supports under the deck to allow for the tube. I'm getting there slowly but getting there is part of the fun.

Don

Comment

• pjdog
                Commander
                • Apr 2009

Actually I don't have the forward dive planes done yet. The sub works fine without them. I just use ballast and rear planes to dive. But of course the Gato should have them and I intend to do them. That's one of the best things about the Gato is the way they retract and all. I've got all the parts. And pretty much understand what has to be done but I've been working other more important sub things. Like the travel box's, weathering, etc.. I'm also a little put off by the mechanics of it.

Your right about the lack of info on the mechanics of how to make the forward dive system. You would thing they would include a diagram or picture or at the very least, words. Good luck.

The biggest problem I have is couplers for the type VII sub. I've cooked two port motors and can't see why. I got some Graupner couplers that extend inside them selves. That should keep any pressure off the motor armatures. No. 475.2. Rather pricey for what they are. $ 22.00. They also look very fragile. Very thin plastic. Thought I'd try them.

Jack

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

try looking them up here; http://vabiz.com/d&e/articles.html
                  Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• pjdog
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2009

Good information however I don't get any pictures with part-29 through part-31. The words are present but I'm really a picture reader. And that's where the bow plane plumming is.

jack

Comment

• shamrock
                      Lieutenant
                      • Jan 2009

help is here jack

man i am a mechanic and they drove me crazy.but i got them beat did not use the magenets used ball linkage they do not turn loose i will send you close up shots if need be
                      horse power by the hour

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by shamrock
                        used ball linkage they do not turn loose
                        Please post the pictures here.
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• pjdog
                          Commander
                          • Apr 2009

Said it before and I'll say it again. Picture worth a thousand words.

Jack

Comment

• shamrock
                            Lieutenant
                            • Jan 2009

hope this helps

here are the first five
                            Attached Files
                            horse power by the hour

Comment

• shamrock
                              Lieutenant