X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • modelnut
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Jun 2011

Instructional DVD?

Wasn't there a basic instructional DVD available at one time?

Many years ago, before there were any 72 scale styrene kits available for those of us with shallow pockets, David offered a VHS on RC submarines. My VCR has gone the way of the dodo. So I am hoping that Mr Merriman transferred his guide to DVD.

BTW I just wrote to Caswell and they said, "What? We never sold a VHS." So I guess that was from HWMNBN old website, http://www.vabiz.com/d&e/

- Leelan
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Yeah, that was VHS only and way before my association with Mr. Caswell. And the stuff there is very dated. One of these days I should produce another one, updated, and in a more eye-friendly format.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• modelnut
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jun 2011

I would be in favor of that. There is so much I don't know and so much you all probably take for granted. I never had "shop" in high school, it was never offered. So I don't know even some of the simple things like how to mount the propeller so that it doesn't come off the drive shaft.

- Leelan

-
      Last edited by Kazzer; 02-28-2012, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

What kind of a irresponsible, no-nuts, dumb-ass, politically correct nation drops public-school shop-class/industrial-arts for touchy-feely 'social' studies? Oh ... that's right ... our nation does. Lost my head there for a second. Sorry.

Please don't tell me you majored in Feminist-Studies. If you did, I don't want to know!

If the all-wise Department of Education -- and why the hell is the Fed involved in Education -- dropped the BS Black-History month horse-**** from the curriculum, the schools would immediately find themselves with open spots on the schedule they can fill with worthwhile subject matter. Stuff like Drafting, Math, Sheet-metal work, Foundry, Welding, Pattern Making, Carpentry, Cabinet Making ... you know, the important, practical stuff guys used to be good at.

This nation was not built by cubical drones, damit! But, it surely will die at the hands of these self-entitled, overly sensitive, lazy, demanding little pricks.

Anyway ...

...Hit us with specific questions (and don't be a dumb-ass, think them through); issues that are relevant to your current and immediate future jobs and we'll cut the bush away for you. And don't ask the same question twice, or you will suffer my wrath!

Shop-class commences.

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          What kind of a irresponsible, no-nuts, dumb-ass, politically correct nation drops public-school shop-class/industrial-arts for touchy-feely 'social' studies? Oh ... that's right ... our nation does. Lost my head there for a second. Sorry. .......blah .....blah ........

David
          I hear HE is suffering from a pinched nerve in his back! Give him a soapbox!He's on his favorite Sort of explains this little outburst, doesn't it!
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• modelnut
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Jun 2011

Thank you, David,

I will try not to be more stupid than I can help. Things being what they are financially I will take my boat as far as I can without going RC. But I hope to keep my options open.
            In the meantime I will study the excellent builds I see here. May be then I will have some intelligent questions --- or not too dumb anyway.

- Leelan

Comment

• Aug 2008

Fair enough, Leelan. Collect your thoughts and let me have it. I'll give you good steers.

And count your blessings I'm on pain-killers. You don't want to suffer a rant if I'm off 'em!

David
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
                I hear HE is suffering from a pinched nerve in his back!
                Ouch! That's why you should always lift with your legs not your back.
                Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

My sympathies, been there and can relate. Get rest and a wise man once told me "Do what the doctor says"
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

You could try leeches. Studies show they're effective in reducing pain.
                    Last edited by redboat219; 03-01-2012, 05:33 AM.
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

With friends like these ....

I'm on the mend. Better each day, but too doped up to be useful to the work or Ellie. Should be up and at it by the weekend at this rate.

May I suggest where you can stick those leaches, redboat?

David
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Ignoring leeches for the moment (give me the shudders, I had way to many on me from the Great Lakes), David I think an informational DVD is a great idea! One that is updated for today and would be so helpful to get up to speed. Did it not sell well? Would it be a viable opportunity or worth your time?
                        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by trout
                          David I think an informational DVD is a great idea! One that is updated for today and would be so helpful to get up to speed. Did it not sell well? Would it be a viable opportunity or worth your time?
                          HOI! Have I got to come over there with a stick?

Another DVD???? NOO-oooooo! Please NOOOO-oooooo! I haven't recovered from the last one. It took me AGES to edit out all the cussing and horses-doofers he kept putting in. I'm not doing it! No! I'm not!
                          Arggggg!

I only wished I'd saved those cuttings - damn - they were funny!
                          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

HAHAHAHAHA Thanks Mike, I was picturing some of the out-takes in my head. That would probably go viral on Youtube!

Comment

• modelnut
                              Lieutenant Commander
                              • Jun 2011

Fair enough, David. I have read your rants elsewhere and I will take them in the spirit they are given.

BTW a friend of mine says he knows you, or at least he has met you long enough to like you, Major Charles Davenport. Used to be President of IPMS many many years ago.
                              I am to say "Hello!" for him.

- Leelan

Comment

Working...