X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Why not use those 27mhz toy remote?

Pardon my ignorance on electronics but I've seen DIY controllers made using an Arduino coupled to a 2.4ghz module. So why can't one use the 27mhz RC transmitter from those cheap toy cars instead.

I'm thinking of something like those old single channel controllers. instead of you pressing a single button in sequence the arduino in the transmitter will be the one to interprets your command inputs into morse code like blips that are then transmitted by the 27 mhz radio which are then picked up by the onboard receiver and decoded by an arduino.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • Sam Victory
    Commander
    • Sep 2021

Redboat,

Of course you can use Arduino, as it is a micro control module. For any frequency that's your choice as long as it is legal for the surface frequency in your country. For your another question, why can't we use 27 mhz toy transmitter, it is just because they just use infrared remote control.The drawbacks are also obvious: the remote control range is too short, and the fact that you have to point the antenna at your remote control toy. Traditional RC model plane transmitters have a high frequency circuit section where the ppm or pcm signals are sent out at high power to increase the RC distance.

RF circuit for futaba FM radios:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Futaba 72mhz 高频头电路.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	172580

V
    Last edited by Sam Victory; 07-30-2023, 02:26 PM.

Comment

• type7
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Apr 2009

How about rf noise, interference and range?

Comment

• redboat219
        Admiral
        • Dec 2008

I don't know about RF noise or interference, as I said, not electronically savvy. As for range, I'll be happy in 10-30 feet range. As David said, if you can't see it you can't drive it.

I think this is what the guy who made those Lego submarines did https://brickexperimentchannel.wordp...-0-radio-7-10/

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Someone over at the AMS range tested one of these radio submerged at 0.5m (1.5ft) Click image for larger version

Name:	20211215.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	172596Click image for larger version

Name:	20210316.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	172597Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230731_120245_Chrome.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	172598

Comment

• cheapsub
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Dec 2019

Is on or off motor control, a old parkzone 27MHz will be way easier.

May be one of these days, someone comes up with a voice command system, so we could use CB radio calling out command, CB gone FM recently.

is time to let go some of my "back up" system, any one interested.
            Get one too many Frankenstein transmitter.

Comment

Working...