X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fishb0y
    Lieutenant
    • Jul 2023

Silly NUB Questions...

I have been silently lurking on this site and watching the videos for years. Despite not having the time, money, patience, or talent to build an RC submarine, I have decided to take the plunge and do it anyway. I'm tired of crashing my RC planes, and since there seem to be more planes in the ocean than there are submarines in the air, I figure you must be doing something right here.

During my time on a 688 and 2 Seawolves, I developed a strong interest in unique and steampunk-inspired boats from earlier times. As a result, I have started 3D printing the hull for my first model of the Hunley.

Now, I know you're probably expecting my first question after all my rambling. So here it is: Should I already have the Water Tight Compartment (WTC), specifically the 250 SubDriver, ready for installation as I build up the hull? Or can I tackle that later in the construction process?​
    Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Fishb0y
    I have been silently lurking on this site and watching the videos for years. Despite not having the time, money, patience, or talent to build an RC submarine, I have decided to take the plunge and do it anyway. I'm tired of crashing my RC planes, and since there seem to be more planes in the ocean than there are submarines in the air, I figure you must be doing something right here.

During my time on a 688 and 2 Seawolves, I developed a strong interest in unique and steampunk-inspired boats from earlier times. As a result, I have started 3D printing the hull for my first model of the Hunley.

Now, I know you're probably expecting my first question after all my rambling. So here it is: Should I already have the Water Tight Compartment (WTC), specifically the 250 SubDriver, ready for installation as I build up the hull? Or can I tackle that later in the construction process?​
    Since the surfaced HUNLEY had so little freeboard (surfaces above waterline) you only need about five ounces of ballast water. Have Bob assemble your SubDriver that way. The rest is on you. I'm assuming a model length of about three to four feet. and a nominal wall thickness of about .093". Also assuming the density of your printed material to be close to one.

It'll work submerged, without cheats, just fine if you keep the speed below that which produces forces that overcome the models static stability about the pitch axis. That's because you have no stern planes to manage the bubble and can only rely on static stability (low c.g. coupled to a very high c.b.) to keep the boat from porpoiseing uncontrollably.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image024.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	172181Click image for larger version

Name:	image031.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	172182Click image for larger version

Name:	image001.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	172183

But, if you want the boat to be more manageable underwater, gimbal the propeller in the pitch axis and us it as a 'propulsive set of stern planes'. Works for me.

Name:	IMG_5431.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	172184Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5425.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	172185Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5477.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	172186Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5474.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	172187Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5491 - Copy.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	172188

And here's how to work out a scale rudder linkage:

Name:	IMG_5417.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	172189Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5409.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	172190Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5419.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	172191Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5420.jpg
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	172192Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5424.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	172193

Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Fishb0y
      Lieutenant
      • Jul 2023

Thanks a lot for the advice! I've been keeping up with everything you've been doing on your Hunley model, as well as all the other boats you're working on. It's really awesome stuff!
      Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I'm going to set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it. Anyone who wants to tag along is more than welcome.

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

If you are interested!

My 3D Printed HL-Hunley Build - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

The above listed build blog is my 3D printed version of the HL Hunley! Good luck on your build and keep us posted!

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat."​

Comment

• Fishb0y
          Lieutenant
          • Jul 2023

I'm very interested! I can't believe I missed this during my searches.

Comment

• Marylandradiosailor
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Nov 2021

If interested there is a Hunley at Mobile AL, i was there this past weekend to photograph the USS Drum and saw this by chance. (note I have more photos if interested), Khim

Name:	522small.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	172200

Name:	507small.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	172201

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

How about this steam powered submarine? Click image for larger version

Name:	images (1) (1).jpg
Views:	187
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	172203

Smoke generator
              ​​​​​​​https://youtu.be/XWGANS3k3i8
              Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                • Aug 2008

How about... Oh, I don't know... KEEPING THAT FIRST BOAT SIMPLE!!!!

I buy you books; I send you to the finest school; I tutor you after hours... and what do you do? You kill and eat the teacher!

Wild hairs never finished a 'first' r/c submarine project. This project you are contemplating, if you over-complicated it, will die on the operating table.

But, then, what the **** do I know about this stuff? Yeah. Let the others here fill your head with exotic prospects -- that rosy path leads to the cliffs edge, pal.

Crawl; stumble; walk; run; jog; sprint. In that order!

Duh!

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
                  How about... Oh, I don't know... KEEPING THAT FIRST BOAT SIMPLE!!!!

I buy you books; I send you to the finest school; I tutor you after hours... and what do you do? You kill and eat the teacher!

Wild hairs never finished a 'first' r/c submarine project. This project you are contemplating, if you over-complicated it, will die on the operating table.

But, then, what the **** do I know about this stuff? Yeah. Let the others here fill your head with exotic prospects -- that rosy path leads to the cliffs edge, pal.

Crawl; stumble; walk; run; jog; sprint. In that order!

Duh!

David
                  What's complicated about the Nordenfelt boat? I'm just suggesting the design NOT make an ACTUAL steam powered submarine.

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Personally, I get a little tired of all the flack about what we should or should not build! This is a hobby! Step outside the so called box, get your hands dirty, if it does not work the first time, go after it again until you achieve what it is YOU are after!

I have been at it for almost 4 years now and I still do not have that so called working perfect submarine. I have 18 3D printed submarines in my collection. All have been in the water and float to a certain degree. Am I discouraged? Hell no! Have I had some reasonable success? Yes! Most importantly, HAVE I HAD FUN? YES!!

It is GOOD to listen to those that have the expertise, knowledge, and the skill level to build fully operational submarines, but some of us may never achieve those skills and may never finish that perfect boat, but the important thing in my opinion is that you enjoy the road to get there? Go after that dream boat and have fun doing it!!

I really love this hobby, successful or not!! Sorry for the rant, just expressing my take on things!

Rob
                    "Firemen can stand the heat."

Comment

• Fishb0y
                      Lieutenant
                      • Jul 2023

Using steam propulsion seems ridiculous to me.

I am planning since this would be a scale replica of the Hunley, I have started training three groups of domestic chinchillas to crank the shaft. I’m trying to stay as simple as possible.

Comment

• Fishb0y
                        Lieutenant
                        • Jul 2023

This is also my first attempt at printing with ABS. My first hull print was pretty warped, so I’m readjusting the printer set points.

Comment

• redboat219
                          Admiral
                          • Dec 2008

Using steam propulsion seems ridiculous to me.
                          Don't nuke boat use steam propulsion (indirect)?

During my time on a 688 and 2 Seawolves, I developed a strong interest in unique and steampunk-inspired boats from earlier times
                          The Hunley does look like a boiler.

Last edited by redboat219; 07-15-2023, 08:12 PM.

Comment

• trout
                            Admiral
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by redboat219

What's complicated about the Nordenfelt boat? I'm just suggesting the design NOT make an ACTUAL steam powered submarine.
                            What is complicated about finishing your first boat? Allow someone to build their boat before throwing more stuff at them especially if you yourself have not completed a sub.
                            If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
                              Admiral
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by trout

What is complicated about finishing your first boat? Allow someone to build their boat before throwing more stuff at them especially if you yourself have not completed a sub.
                              You're absolutely right. Best get these hands building and less time typing.Keep forgetting to keep my opnions/suggestions and ideas to myself.

Comment

Working...