Twin BPIs for bow plane doors and retract?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FindingNemo
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • May 2022

Twin BPIs for bow plane doors and retract?

Hi All.
    As I have both bow plane doors and retracting planes, is it possible to run two bow plane interlocks to lock out the retract as well as the planes?

Thanks in advance.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220918_082008.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	164793
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

If the doors are on a separate channel, I'd say that would work, but it would be simpler if you put the retracts and doors on the same channel, though it might be more problematic to time (IE: doors open and THEN the planes extend).

But back to your original query, I haven't seen it done yet, but I think it should work!

Bob

Comment

• SubDude
      Captain
      • Dec 2019

What radio system are you running? Unless Kevin has corrected it I recall the BPI's had issues with 2.4 for example. Bob, has that been resolved?

Comment

• FindingNemo
        Lieutenant, Junior Grade
        • May 2022

Originally posted by SubDude
        What radio system are you running? Unless Kevin has corrected it I recall the BPI's had issues with 2.4 for example. Bob, has that been resolved?
        Thanks both.
        I have a Futaba 12FG 36Mhz. (Australia).
        I need to see if I can trigger two operations from one channel as per Bob's recommendation.

Comment

• SubSteve
          Lieutenant
          • Apr 2022

I recently saw a write up on the programming needed on a modern radio to do this same sequence for an RC airplane, open door, extend landing gear, retract gear, close door. The sequence was pretty obvious but the timing and servo travel speed were key.
          Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR7mvJ18mfo

Comment

• FindingNemo
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • May 2022

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
            If the doors are on a separate channel, I'd say that would work, but it would be simpler if you put the retracts and doors on the same channel, though it might be more problematic to time (IE: doors open and THEN the planes extend).

But back to your original query, I haven't seen it done yet, but I think it should work!

Bob
            Thanks all.
            The Futaba manual was a struggle but I finally got this working. A mix with both channels on the same switch, with a delay on for one function and a delay off for the other.

Thanks, Colin.

Comment

• FindingNemo
              Lieutenant, Junior Grade
              • May 2022

Originally posted by SubDude
              Do you know what the BPI issues were? I'm getting a strange behaviour when I move the planes in one direction. The BPI flashes, the ESC's (I think) start chiming, the planes won't move, and then it resets.

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Do you have 2 ESCs? Do these have BECs?
                If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• FindingNemo
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • May 2022

Originally posted by trout
                  Do you have 2 ESCs? Do these have BECs?
                  Two ESC's with one BEC.

Comment

Working...