X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hywel
    Lieutenant
    • Aug 2022

Fibreglassing a boat

I tell ya, this whole submarine world is great as I’m running into problems I’ve never had before!

Heres my latest: I’m building the Typhoon. Has lots of windows. I’m fibreglassing the inside as resin can be brittle. I figured I could just block the outside of the windows with tape, the resin would seep into the holes and I’d just wet n dry the outside. Trouble is the outside needs to be painted so now I have to block EVERY SINGLE WINDOW when I paint.

Not happening!

What’ve other folks done in this situation? I clearly can’t be the first here.

cheers,

- hywel
  • JHapprich
    Captain
    • Oct 2017

Err... blocking every single window is what i'd do. Or paint first, add glass later.

There is no 'easy' trick here, imo. You dont want empty holes but windows, You cut your proper tape templates ONCE, you install them carefully ONCE, you paint ONCE and be done with it.

i usually file out the window and glue plexiglass into them.

Jörg

Comment

• hywel
      Lieutenant
      • Aug 2022

Thanks, figured there was no easy button for this but had to ask:)

blocking it is!

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

I hope this can be an "easy button" for at least one step: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=99

Comment

• hywel
          Lieutenant
          • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Bob Gato
          I hope this can be an "easy button" for at least one step: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=99
          Thank you, will check this out for sure!

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

Hywel,

I had a thought based on what you'd said. You're not thinking that all of the drain/limber holes in the hull are windows, are you? The only "windows" in the sub are in the sail, and there are only a handful of them. The rest of the hull openings are typically backed with a mesh.

Bob

Comment

• hywel
              Lieutenant
              • Aug 2022

Aha! I thought the larger square holes at the bottom of the hull were the main water holes but of course what you say makes a lot more sense. Disaster averted!

Back to Submarines 101 I go! Thank you, Bob!

Comment

Working...