X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorbrandr
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2022

And another - dual motor control

If I want to be able to control prop speed on a dual prop setup, do I use to ESCs on two channels or what? Is there an issue if there is a BEC on each channel?

Setting up for winter projects....

Thanks
    Chris

• neitosub
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Nov 2021

You can run them on two separate channels but make sure to cut the red wire on one of the ESCs, on the 3-pin connector that goes to the receiver (not red the ESC power wire that connects the battery). The receiver only needs to get power from one ESC, not both.

Nate

Comment

• Bob Gato
      Captain
      • Feb 2019

Don't cut the red wire... You might want to use that ESC for something else in the future... Disconnected by Carefully lifting the little clip on the black connector and pulling the wire out folding it back with a little heat shrink on it.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

The Throttle Jockey is designed specifically to do this. It takes throttle input and rudder input to control two motors.

Throttle Jockey

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Bob Gato
          Don't cut the red wire... You might want to use that ESC for something else in the future... Disconnected by Carefully lifting the little clip on the black connector and pulling the wire out folding it back with a little heat shrink on it.
          I forgot what the UDT guy's told me. Was it, 'cut the blue wire', or was it, 'cut the red wire'? Could never get that straight. Oh, well, not that it matters much.
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Thorbrandr
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Mar 2022

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I forgot what the UDT guy's told me. Was it, 'cut the blue wire', or was it, 'cut the red wire'? Could never get that straight. Oh, well, not that it matters much.
            it's just a wire, right? all the same? Right? ;-}

Comment

• Thorbrandr
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Mar 2022

Originally posted by RCSubGuy
              The Throttle Jockey is designed specifically to do this. It takes throttle input and rudder input to control two motors.

Throttle Jockey
              will have to think on this one....thanks Almost certainly to go into the WTC I got for the new sub. May work in the Emdem.

Comment

• Das Boot
                Rear Admiral
                • Dec 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

If you cut the wrong one, you’ll never know it.
                Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• Thorbrandr
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Mar 2022

Originally posted by RCSubGuy

Throttle Jockey
                  So, does it reverse the inside prop or only slow it down? Online description is unclear.

Thanks
                  Chris

Comment

• type7
                    Lieutenant Commander
                    • Apr 2009

I think some of the newer brushed esc don't require it. Also, unless the sub is large or the motors are brushless, there is little value in it. You can put the motors in parallel on one esc.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                      Welcome to my underwater realm!
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Thorbrandr

So, does it reverse the inside prop or only slow it down? Online description is unclear.

Thanks
                      Chris
                      The Jockey will adjust the throttle outputs in a turn as a function of throttle input and rudder. With throttle at neutral, full rudder will command a full forward on one side and full reverse on the other.

Bob

Comment

Working...