• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thorbrandr
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Mar 2022

Here goes...some questions

Hi!

I'm new into subs, and all my limited RC air time has been with foam electrics on 2.4 GHz...so I have a few questions here:

1. What kind of range should I expect out of a 75 MHz radio for a submerged sub?
    2. Is the range comparable between a VEX and a Futaba transmitter?
    3. Where is the community hiding the 75 MHz Futaba modules????
    4. Has anyone had issues with large fish going after a sub? Most of the local lakes and ponds I am looking at have Northern Pike.

I have a RTR coming so I can get some practical experience while I build my own.

Thanks!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Fresh meat!!!!!....
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• rwtdiver
      Vice Admiral
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Thorbrandr
      Hi!

I'm new into subs, and all my limited RC air time has been with foam electrics on 2.4 GHz...so I have a few questions here:

1. What kind of range should I expect out of a 75 MHz radio for a submerged sub?
      4. Has anyone had issues with large fish going after a sub? Most of the local lakes and ponds I am looking at have Northern Pike.

I have a RTR coming so I can get some practical experience while I build my own.

Thanks!
      Welcome aboard Chris!

I see David M. has answered the call! He is the best, and I am sure he is working on your questions with highly detailed answers!!:-))

What is the RTR sub that you currently have?

Rob
      "Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Thorbrandr
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Mar 2022

Originally posted by rwtdiver

Welcome aboard Chris!

I see David M. has answered the call! He is the best, and I am sure he is working on your questions with highly detailed answers!!:-))

What is the RTR sub that you currently have?

Rob
        "Firemen can stand the heat"
        An OTW R-class is out for build. Big boat to start with, but it is the same scale that I want to work, and it is WWI. It will be a bit before I will be ready to be running. In the mean time I am doing a bit of research.

Chris

Comment

• Das Boot
          Rear Admiral
          • Dec 2019

75 MHz is much gone. What’s left is sparse and rather high in price. 72 MHz is an alternative. It’s been replaced by 2.4 GHz. 75/72 MHz will go farther than you’ll want to go with a sub, so that is moot. Good luck finding any 75 MHz modules. Never heard of fish attacks, but I have heard of octopus going after Seaview’s.
          Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
            • Aug 2008

Hi!

Thanks!
            Can you make the Texas Trim Party this month? I'll be there and will give you some pointers.
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Thorbrandr
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Mar 2022

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Can you make the Texas Trim Party this month? I'll be there and will give you some pointers.
              I am afraid that I can not make that event. Still finishing up a cross country move and getting setup in a new place.

Comment

• Thorbrandr
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Mar 2022

Originally posted by Das Boot
                75 MHz is much gone. What’s left is sparse and rather high in price. 72 MHz is an alternative. It’s been replaced by 2.4 GHz. 75/72 MHz will go farther than you’ll want to go with a sub, so that is moot. Good luck finding any 75 MHz modules. Never heard of fish attacks, but I have heard of octopus going after Seaview’s.
                Been seeing that issue on cost. Have scored some radio hardware. Trying to stay legal on 72 vs 75 MHz, but not afraid of getting a license for the longer wavelengths. Don't have a Seaview, so not worried on the Octopi. Have had a Scuba certified friend in the area step up for recovery....probably looking forward to the possibility.

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

Been seeing that issue on cost. Have scored some radio hardware. Trying to stay legal on 72 vs 75 MHz, but not afraid of getting a license for the longer wavelengths. Don't have a Seaview, so not worried on the Octopi. Have had a Scuba certified friend in the area step up for recovery....probably looking forward to the possibility.
                  Don’t see going to radio prison for using 72. Besides, how many rc planes run in pools or ponds. The spectrum is antiquated since 2.4 came out. I know of no one still using it.
                  Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

So, let us take your questions one by one.
                    1. Too many variables. Placement of antenna, general internal construction (noisy or not), and water conditions all contribute to distance. Unless you have gin clear water to run in most run at periscope depth. At that shallow of a depth, you can get pretty far out, but usually a pucker factor comes into play. We tend to stay closer to shore. I know of gentlemen that run their subs 15-20' deep because the water is so clear they can see the sub and I have run in waters that 30' out and 2' down it will surface because of particulates in the water.
                    2. No idea on differences, again the pucker factor kicks in usually before the radio goes out of range.
                    3. I am not telling you where I hide my stash, it is my retirement LOL. They pop up now and then. Just keep watching the postings for those selling.
                    4. I have not, but there was a video 10+ years ago that someone took of a Pike or similar fish hitting the sub. It can happen, but not very often. Prove me wrong on this, please (with video - LOL)
                    I like your idea of practical experience. The sub you get you will need to learn to tear it apart and reassemble. Wear and tear happens. Look forward to your posting more.
                    Peace,
                    Tom
                    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• Thorbrandr
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Mar 2022

Originally posted by trout
                      So, let us take your questions one by one.
                      1. Too many variables. Placement of antenna, general internal construction (noisy or not), and water conditions all contribute to distance. Unless you have gin clear water to run in most run at periscope depth. At that shallow of a depth, you can get pretty far out, but usually a pucker factor comes into play. We tend to stay closer to shore. I know of gentlemen that run their subs 15-20' deep because the water is so clear they can see the sub and I have run in waters that 30' out and 2' down it will surface because of particulates in the water.
                      2. No idea on differences, again the pucker factor kicks in usually before the radio goes out of range.
                      3. I am not telling you where I hide my stash, it is my retirement LOL. They pop up now and then. Just keep watching the postings for those selling.
                      4. I have not, but there was a video 10+ years ago that someone took of a Pike or similar fish hitting the sub. It can happen, but not very often. Prove me wrong on this, please (with video - LOL)
                      I like your idea of practical experience. The sub you get you will need to learn to tear it apart and reassemble. Wear and tear happens. Look forward to your posting more.
                      Peace,
                      Tom
                      Thanks Tom!

I work comms design on slightly larger scales. I have used the “it depends” answer on range. The pucker factor is a chief engineer’s rule of margin. Engineers always hide margin. What I am hearing is that the practical range is good for what I want.

I have been told that the local Pikes leave swimmers, including small children, alone. My friends have already asked me to run a camera, so who knows…

Chris

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

I have been told that the local Pikes leave swimmers, including small children, alone. My friends have already asked me to run a camera, so who knows

Chris
                        Ooooh, a rear facing camera showing a Pike attacking would be really cool! We have several people that run in Pike populated waters and do not have issues. The important thing is just get your sub running and not go for extremes. Frequently I share the "Crawl, walk, run" statement with people building their first sub, it was taught to me that way, since you are getting an RTR, I will still share it. The mind can think of all the fun things you can do with a sub, but you need to get the experience in. I suggest, you keep your sub close to shore and you will need to learn maintenance on it. Only after a few runs not a couple, few, then you will go further out. Do not push your luck. Unless you can afford to replace that sub and money means nothing to you.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• wlambing
                          Commander
                          • Nov 2020

Up this way, Largemouth Bass and Pickerel like to get quite inquisitive. Have never seen any actual hits, but I 'spose there's always a chance!

Comment

Working...