• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Single motor for 1/72 U-boat.

HWSNBN,
    what size brushed motor would you recommend for use with Revell Type VII if one decides to go with a single motor driving both props through a counter rotating gearbox?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
    HWSNBN,
    what size brushed motor would you recommend for use with Revell Type VII if one decides to go with a single motor driving both props through a counter rotating gearbox?
    380, direct drive. Split.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

380, direct drive. Split.
      Got it.

Another question, I've seen a Type VII being driven with a single motor driving only one shaft, would the boat suffer from assymetrical thrust?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
        Captain
        • Apr 2020

Originally posted by redboat219

Got it.

Another question, I've seen a Type VII being driven with a single motor driving only one shaft, would the boat suffer from assymetrical thrust?
        Yes it would

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

From what I've read online and in books ( Das Boot) running on one engine was done to conserve fuel and to do maintenance.

So I guess they trimmed the rudder(s) to compesate for the assymetrical thrust?

Comment

• Monahan Steam Models
            Captain
            • Apr 2020

The center line between shafts on a type VII are spaced fairly close together and hypothetically should also be parallel to each other. This reduces the asymmetrical thrust but does not completely eliminate it. So yes a slight rudder adjustment to counter act the thrust would be necessary proportional to the forward speed.

Personally if the original boat had twin screws then I would make both operational regardless of how many motors it needed. I would not make them individually controlled in a model with such a narrow shaft spacing and parallelism.

Comment

• redboat219
              Admiral
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Monahan Steam Models

if the original boat had twin screws then make both operational regardless of how many motors it needed.
              I hear you. And less trimming needed.

Comment

Working...