X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sharkinrat
    Ensign
    • Dec 2021

Need help

I want to get into this hobby but I dont know what would be a good starting submarine.
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Sharkinrat
    I want to get into this hobby but I dont know what would be a good starting submarine.
    What r/c vehicle experience do you have?

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Sharkinrat
      Ensign
      • Dec 2021

I have flown drones and planes. I have also controlled rc boats before.
      Last edited by Sharkinrat; 12-21-2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I have flown drones and planes. I have also controlled rc boats before.
        Do you have the ability and resources to physically build things with your hands?

David
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Sharkinrat
          Ensign
          • Dec 2021

I've built many models. For resources I have drills and other mechanical tools, also a 3d printer.
          Last edited by Sharkinrat; 12-21-2021, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• Aug 2008

OK then. Let's get started. What submarine do you want to 'build', and what do you want it to do?

David
            Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Sharkinrat
              Ensign
              • Dec 2021

I want a older style looking submarine but any style would do. I dont want it to be crazy with led lights and moving doors and stuff, I want a submarine that can go underwater and thats really all.

Comment

• Aug 2008

I want a older style looking submarine but any style would do. I dont want it to be crazy with led lights and moving doors and stuff, I want a submarine that can go underwater and thats really all.
                Old style submarine have too many topside bits to break off -- not recommended as a first project.

I would recommend the Mobius/Revell 1/72 SKIPJACK kit as the hull, and the Nautilus Drydocks for your WTC and other stuff. Plenty of build WIP's at their forum as well. We'll help you every step of the way if you're attentive and have the initiative to see the project through.

David
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Sharkinrat
                  Ensign
                  • Dec 2021

Thank you for the help

Comment

• rwtdiver
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Feb 2019

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Old style submarine have too many topside bits to break off -- not recommended as a first project.

I would recommend the Mobius/Revell 1/72 SKIPJACK kit as the hull, and the Nautilus Drydocks for your WTC and other stuff. Plenty of build WIP's at their forum as well. We'll help you every step of the way if you're attentive and have the initiative to see the project through.

David
                    Sharkinrat,

If I may interject, David is correct in my opinion about the Mobius/Revell 1/72 SKIPJACK kit!

Click image for larger version  Name:	sub 11.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	157159

This was my very first RC submarine kit that I had ever built! David advised me on this boat, and with his help and others on this forum, I was able to build the model. The WTC system came later on. Very good advice from David!

Rob
                    "Firemen can stand heat"
                    Last edited by rwtdiver; 12-21-2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

So I’ll throw in my suggestions:
                      for older style, Bronco’s Type XXIII 1/35 scale.
                      On a more modern look the Skipjack by Revell 1/72 - hands down a great sub.
                      beyond those two complexity goes up.
                      I will say your approach to keep it simple shows you have wisdom.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
                        Admiral
                        • Dec 2008

Trumpeter offers 1/144 plastic model kit that can be converted to fully functional RC subs, there's the Russian Kilo, British Astute, Japanese Soryu, US Seawolf class, and Chinese PLAN Type 092 Xia class SSBN. Unfortunately David ceased productions of his 2" inch subdrivers and fittings kit for the Kilo and Seawolf. There are 3rd party suppliers for WTC for the above models. Check out this thread
                        Trying something new! This is a 1:144 Kilo build. The Cylinder arrived from overseas today! Since my pool is 40’x20’ I have been looking for a smaller scale sub. My 1:96 scale Blueback does well, but not as nimble as this should be. Updates to follow!
                        Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• SubDude
                          Captain
                          • Dec 2019

I am getting ready to build two of the Skipjacks with Bob's new WTC's. David is spot on with his recommendations. You need something that will stretch your modeling abilities while helping you to understand how an RC sub works without frustrating you and ending up never getting completed. Welcome to the insanely challenging yet rewarding world of RC Submarines. Lots of helpful people and information here to guide you along the way.

Comment

Working...