X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • biggsgolf
    Captain
    • Jan 2020

Dive and Stern Planes

I am experiencing brain freeze... while employing the AD2 (angle driver).

1) is it wrong to have the pitch control rod of the stern planes also control the dive planes? 2)Should a third servo be used to control dive planes independent of the AD2 controlled stern planes instead?

3)If I have only two servos should I not use an AD2 and control the dive and strrn planes together on the same servo and be sure both the dive and stern planes operate in the same direction up and down?
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Wrong? No, just not ideal. Ideal state:

Receiver-->AD2-->stern plane servo
    Receiver-->DC-->forward/fairwater planes

Plumbing forward and stern planes together will just mean your boat will attain a pitch angle when changing depth or attempting to stay at level keel. The AD2 will still keep trying to do its job, just won't be able to do it as well. If you do it this way, bow and stern planes MUST work opposite each other: IE - stern planes to full rise when bow planes are on full rise (forwards up and stern up, not both in the same direction as you asked, assuming you meant both leading edges down at the same time, etc.).

Do it right. Add a separate servo for the bow planes. Even if you don't have a spare channel, the AD2 just needs power and will do it's job autonomously without user input.

Comment

• biggsgolf
      Captain
      • Jan 2020

So trailing edges of both dive and stern planes up at positive degrees, which should force bow and stern of boat down?

Comment

• biggsgolf
        Captain
        • Jan 2020

This is then correct?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
          Welcome to my underwater realm!
          • Aug 2009

Yep, correct.

If you have both planes working in the same direction (IE: forward planes down and stern planes up), you'd think that it would simply sink or rise on the level, but in practical application it doesn't work that way. Hydrodynamic forces and different overall surface area will mean one end or the other will sink faster than the other, and you'll have no way to correct the imbalance.

Bob

Comment

• biggsgolf
            Captain
            • Jan 2020

thankyou sir for untangling my brain! Will be thinking of you in Houstan!

Comment

Working...