X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

X tail vs V tail

How does a V tail ( or inverted V tail) compared to an X tail configuration? Is it less effective due to the smaller control surface?

This is an RC model of a Japanese anime submarine. The sub has a pumpjet propulsor and X tail configuration but the builder opted to make only the lower fins movable ( with separate control surfaces), essentially an inverted V tail. Click image for larger version  Name:	cor1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	150828
    Still need a mixer to control the dive planes but it eliminates the need for the binding yoke simplifying construction.

Does the fixed top dive planes have a countering effect when turning?

Attached Files
    Last edited by redboat219; 06-26-2021, 03:33 AM.
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Well... all things being equal, 50% less surface area to use should equal 50% less effectiveness at inducing pitch or yaw. Exact same setup, you just aren't running a shaft across the hull to the opposite control surface. If you're going about the hassles of setting this up, you might as well make it work as effectively as possible and get all 4 control surfaces working for you...

Bob

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

I read a paper that said that x-tails are 140% as effective as standard cruciform rudders. Even going with a V-tail, you'd be at 70% of a standard cruciform, even though you have 50% less surface area. Cool.

Bob

Comment

Working...