• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Admiralsully77
    Ensign
    • Oct 2018

Swapping brush for brushless

Greetings All,
    I have a 3.5" Skipjack WTC and want to drop in a brushless motor and ESC. I was wondering if anyone has done this before and has any pointers or knows of any motors of the right dimensions that easily drop in with the old hardware and as little modification as possible. Thanks,
    Sean
    Ya know, I quite like sinking skimmers!
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Sean,

The orange motors I offer would be a great fit for that cylinder. Add a BLHeli ESC and a 3A BEC and you've got your setup.
    Two ways to mount: inside or outside. The motors of this kV rating are all outrunners (the outside of the motor spins). You have to mount it via a mounting plate on the rear of the motor.

For inside mounting, you'll need to fabricate a mounting plate that ties into the rear motor bulkhead. Make four standoff studs and mount a plate to those.
    For outside mounting (yes you can run these in the wet all day long with no adverse effects), simply bolt it to your endcap and mount some bullet connectors in the bulkhead for power.

Bob

Comment

• coryhenry
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Jul 2020

Not to threadjack but can you run them wet in Salt water?

Comment

• RCSubGuy
        Welcome to my underwater realm!
        • Aug 2009

The little research that I've done says that brushless will work well in salt water. People recommend coating with silicone oil and washing out thoroughly with soapy water after every run. Motor life will be reduced (drastically reduced?), but they'll work well for, say, a season of running or maybe two before you'll want to replace the motor. Fortunately, replacement is quick, easy and cheap.

Bob

Comment

• neitosub
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Nov 2021

Hey guys,

I recently got a hold of a BLHeli ESC with a standard 1000kv outrunner brushless motor. Besides using an Arduino to connect the ESC to the BLHeli Suite software, is there another way of programming the ESC with a Windows PC? I’m trying to get the ESC to run in bidirectional mode since it’s in airplane mode (no reverse) by default.

Nate

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

You can get programming boards/widgets, but they're essentially the same as an arduino, just with dedicated firmware and a mark-up. e.g. https://www.flyingtech.co.uk/electro...lheli-firmware

Comment

Working...