X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secrtwpn
    Lieutenant Commander
    • Feb 2012

Another Skipjack question...

I have attached a photo of the prop shaft in the lower hull. However, it does not look look like the photos I've seen. What am I doing wrong?????? Also, my 3.5" Subdriver does not have the hole drilled for the shock absorber indexing pin. How far back from the second drain hole is it????

Thanks.
    I'm sure more questions are coming....

Farlan
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9484.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	141917Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9490.jpeg
Views:	310
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	141918 Here is whatI ended up doing.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• secrtwpn
      Lieutenant Commander
      • Feb 2012

Thank you!

Comment

• secrtwpn
        Lieutenant Commander
        • Feb 2012

So, I stripped the 4/40 set screw on the sailplane bell crank. How can I fix it???????? Still plodding along.

Thanks,
        Farlan

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

Farlan,
          I have used CA to fix that. I put soap on the threads of the set screw (or use a 4/40 screw to help remove). put CA in the hole and place screw in. Once set, remove screw and let it cure a while.
          Peace,
          Tom
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• secrtwpn
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Feb 2012

It worked!!!!

Comment

• secrtwpn
              Lieutenant Commander
              • Feb 2012

Next; from all the photos I have cobbled together, it appears the sail plane pushrod is made up of several pieces. Any details on this?

Thanks again
              Farlan

Comment

• secrtwpn
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Feb 2012

A!so, one end of the brass rod is threaded. Where can I get those?????

Comment

• secrtwpn
                  Lieutenant Commander
                  • Feb 2012

Please see above.....

Comment

• trout
                    Admiral
                    • Jul 2011

You do not need a threaded pushrod. If it is for the Klik-ons, use a 1/16 drill and bore out the klieg-on, slide it over the pushrod and a drop of CA, you're done. To adjust later, the grip can be broken to adjust (apply the heat of a soldering iron - if needed). If there is another spot that uses threaded rod and I am missing your question, please expand.

Comment

• secrtwpn
                      Lieutenant Commander
                      • Feb 2012

As you can see, I tried to copy what you did (sort of). Mine came with a short piece of a threaded 1/16 brass rod. It looks to me that having the Klik-ons on a threaded rod would be easier for adjustments........

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

The threaded are easier for adjustment, Not necessary. Maybe David can jump in and share where to get those. The other end slips over 1/16” (solder or CA it).

Comment

• trout
                          Admiral
                          • Jul 2011

Rob,
                          You can do this! The Skipjack is a wonderful sub to build and a hoot to run. You might find that you will turn the end point of your radio way back on the throttle. I think mine is at 40% forward and 50% reverse. Anyways, it is compact enough to travel easily and large enough to make a statement on the water and off.

I took my skipjack out last weekend to the Colorado River and it was fun to run it in the wild. Look forward to seeing yours.
                          Peace,
                          tom

Comment

• rwtdiver
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by trout
                            Rob,
                            You can do this! The Skipjack is a wonderful sub to build and a hoot to run. You might find that you will turn the end point of your radio way back on the throttle. I think mine is at 40% forward and 50% reverse. Anyways, it is compact enough to travel easily and large enough to make a statement on the water and off.

I took my skipjack out last weekend to the Colorado River and it was fun to run it in the wild. Look forward to seeing yours.
                            Peace,
                            tom
                            Tom,

Thank you for your support, and advice! As you know I have 3D Printed several Submarines and built my own WTC and set them up for SURFACE RUNNERS only. The Skipjack will be my first attempt at building a Sub and using a SD set up for diving! My SD is exactly the same as what you have in your Skipjack, so using your build blog with all the great information and photos that you have posted will sure make my build much easier!

A question for you: Would it be alright with you if I put my build up on your Skipjack blog? Or would it be better to start one of my own? I know I am going to be on your blog just about everyday of my build!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Note: The Colorado River! WOW! I am sure you must of stayed out of the rapids!? :-) Ha Ha!

Comment

• trout
                              Admiral
                              • Jul 2011

I have no preference one way or the other. All that is important to me is we share and complete the build!

Comment

Working...