X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kim Sleep
    Commander
    • Nov 2013

Canadians...Kryolan??

Im having a helluva time finding Kryolan Flat Black, or flat Smoke Grey, as well as Kryolan Flat Black Clear Sealer.Seems like its as difficult as Toilet Paper to find. The Art Stores sell it, but not this colour.
    Id like to see if and Canadians can buy some for me, and send it, Ill pay for everything, before I go begging to Americans.
    A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

I was a firm believer in Krylon until they changed the formula. Now I avoid anything that has "primer" built in.

Is it possible/desirable for you to switch up to DupliColor paints? That may be easier to locate for you.

I find them superior to Krylon, I'm digging Semi-Gloss Black Engine Enamel with Ceramic™ SKU: DE1635 for modern US Nuc boats. VERY durable.
    Good matching on the greys as well as Primer red for the hull.
    A great variety of primers as well.

They have a boatload (pun intended) of colors.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• RCSubGuy
      Welcome to my underwater realm!
      • Aug 2009

Liquitex. I love that stuff. It's acrylic. Easy to use. Beautiful finish. Expensive as hell, but worth every penny.

Comment

• Kim Sleep
        Commander
        • Nov 2013

Im currently using the Kryolan basic stuff, WITHOUT primer, because everything that is available is 2x coat that obliterates details. I honestly have not seen either brands that are mentioned, but I will keep digging. Thanks a lot guys.
        A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

I use old school rustoleum (not the 2x) on my surface boats-in 48 hrs it is as durable as you can get-it will even survive a wipe with acetone...but it needs a lot of cure time and some infrared and uv (a sunny day) We used to paint the lifter galleries inside the hod rod engines with it to promote oil drain down (never had a problem)...but to not hide small details, you can't beat lacquer. I use Tamiya in rattle cans-a little pricey, nice choice of colors- and it dries literally in minutes and touches up without rosette edges. It would probably take 50 heavy coats of lacquer to hide a shallow scribe.

Comment

Working...