X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kim Sleep
    Commander
    • Nov 2013

Painting tips from The God Of Rc Subs!!

Kim Q:When you say paint "Big And Black" do you mean Gloss, Semi-Gloss, or Flat??

D.M, A: For scale effect go with a very dark gray. And for the initial coats go with a flat as that stuff dries quicker than a gloss (more surface area to off-gas as the rough texture presents much more area than a smooth gloss). Don't worry about the sheen of the paint till you spray on the clear coat -- that will be a flat and will even out the overall sheen of the presentation.
    A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

YEAH! … what he said!

You want The God of R/C submarining? That would be Norbert Bruggen, pal. Other than painting that guys got it all in one sock! Europe has a tradition of excellent engineering and application in this field. Compared with some of those guys we're just simple hacks over here.

David
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
      Commander
      • Nov 2013

I calls em as I sees em...no Hacks around here...'cept me

Comment

• rwtdiver
        Vice Admiral
        • Feb 2019

Question?

Air brushing equipment? Here is my indoor small shop situation. There are times an airbrush would have done a much better job of finish trim work than using a brush. I am looking for a system that will be somewhat quite (my wife's office is right next to my 200 square foot hobby room)

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4270001.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	138569

I will NOT be using any solvent base paints, only water base! As a Firefighter (many years ago) we had day's off, so we where able to start up a small wood working business on the side. I did all custom builds (entertainment centers, book cases, & custom furniture) I had a full size commercial spray booth and complete compressor driven spray equipment. So I do know the in's and out's of finishing fine woods. That all being said! I have never had nor used an airbrush system!

Seeking advice here on a QUITE compressor with reserve air tank and the type of airbrush you would recommend, and along with that if any of you are using a small desk top spray booth?

David M. steered in the direction of an inexpensive single action spray gun as a possibility!

Thanks for the input!

Rob

"Firemen can stand the heat"

Comment

• Aug 2008

I'm sorry, but You'll have to use a solvent based paint system. The current chemistry, the one in vogue today -- even in the automotive coatings industry -- employs this planets most reactive, universal solvent. Water!

You want quiet? I got your quiet! Go to the fire-house and have them bang up a fire-extinguisher bottle with 15 lbs. of CO2. Buy a single-stage Williams regulator, get the associated fittings, and slap it all together and presto-chango: you have your super-quiet gas source to drive your air brush/gun. That charge should last you a good year of heavy-duty model painting. No compressor, no volume tank, no water-particulate trap. Dirt simple, quiet, handy, and minimal foot-print in the shop.

Only air-brush you'll ever need is the Paasche H-model with the #1, #2, and #3 tip.

I have spoken! (crash of thunder).

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Das Boot
            Rear Admiral
            • Dec 2019

My question is the sometimes grey looking sails on Skipjack class subs. Is this just faded paint or how they were done? I don’t want mine, that I just ordered the SD for, to looked like it was just launched. I’m just a rattle can guy. Never learned to use an airbrush.

Casey
            Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• rwtdiver
              Vice Admiral
              • Feb 2019

David! Nothing EVER gets past you! (yes water is a solvent) Your common sense, and thinking outside the box never ceases to amaze me! I bet my old 40 year old Scuba Pro dive tanks could be modified (after they have been hydro tested of course) to do the same thing!

As for the air-brush, that is the one you recommended to me before. I am about to order it from Amazon as soon as I finish this post.

I think I have come to realize one of most pleasurable things about this hobby! Is knowing you!! :-)) You are a one of a kind treasure for sure!!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Das Boot
                My question is the sometimes grey looking sails on Skipjack class subs. Is this just faded paint or how they were done? I don’t want mine, that I just ordered the SD for, to looked like it was just launched. I’m just a rattle can guy. Never learned to use an airbrush.

Casey
                When I was in the canoe-club there was the 'Pacific' and 'Atlantic' painting schemes for combat submarines. I'm sure there is a proper nomenclature, but that's how I remember it -- and that coming from a Deck Department Torpedoman responsible for above waterline hull preservation when tied up to the pier or Tender. SubPac and SubLant each had their own ways of conducting business. Go figure!

Boat's in the Pacific had the black-dark gray scheme, All above waterline horizontal surfaces black, all vertical surfaces a very dark gray (NOT Haze-gray!). WEBSTER sported this scheme when I was on her.

Boat's in the Atlantic were all black. The TRUTTA sported that scheme when I was on her.

David
                Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-27-2020, 09:26 PM.
                Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                  Commander
                  • Nov 2013

I worked in a FX house with many artists using Air Brushes all day long that were made a little bit more silent by moving the compressor under their desks. with a FoamCore boix built around them, they also had a small tank inline, so the compressor was not constantly running. Its impossible to find a small compressor that is quiet I believe, but the higher quality ones designed for Artists are probibly a bit quieter than most.

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                  Question?

Air brushing equipment? Here is my indoor small shop situation. There are times an airbrush would have done a much better job of finish trim work than using a brush. I am looking for a system that will be somewhat quite (my wife's office is right next to my 200 square foot hobby room)

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4270001.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	138569

I will NOT be using any solvent base paints, only water base! As a Firefighter (many years ago) we had day's off, so we where able to start up a small wood working business on the side. I did all custom builds (entertainment centers, book cases, & custom furniture) I had a full size commercial spray booth and complete compressor driven spray equipment. So I do know the in's and out's of finishing fine woods. That all being said! I have never had nor used an airbrush system!

Seeking advice here on a QUITE compressor with reserve air tank and the type of airbrush you would recommend, and along with that if any of you are using a small desk top spray booth?

David M. steered in the direction of an inexpensive single action spray gun as a possibility!

Thanks for the input!

Rob

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by rwtdiver
                    David! Nothing EVER gets past you! (yes water is a solvent) Your common sense, and thinking outside the box never ceases to amaze me! I bet my old 40 year old Scuba Pro dive tanks could be modified (after they have been hydro tested of course) to do the same thing!

As for the air-brush, that is the one you recommended to me before. I am about to order it from Amazon as soon as I finish this post.

I think I have come to realize one of most pleasurable things about this hobby! Is knowing you!! :-)) You are a one of a kind treasure for sure!!

Rob

Damn! You're ruining everything!!!!!!
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kim Sleep
                      Commander
                      • Nov 2013

OHHHHHH, thats strangely nice comment, to the King Of Rc Subs.
                      I hope we wont need to wait another 20 years for another one of those, altho I personally have never had a bad word to say about Mr. Merriman either.

Comment

Working...