X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kim Sleep
    Commander
    • Nov 2013

Truly Waterproof Servos??

There are a lotta Splashproof Servos...what are some examples of true Waterproof Servos
    A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

"True" waterproof?

Prepare to fork out something in the vicinity of $300 each for a professionally designed, engineered and manufactured servo. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a "waterproof" servo on the market right now that is hobby grade and not for commercial application.

I could be wrong, of course.

Here is what I do.

But use mineral oil instead of olive oil. I'll be doing a follow up to that one soon.

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman
      "True" waterproof?

Prepare to fork out something in the vicinity of $300 each for a professionally designed, engineered and manufactured servo. To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a "waterproof" servo on the market right now that is hobby grade and not for commercial application.

I could be wrong, of course.

Here is what I do.

But use mineral oil instead of olive oil. I'll be doing a follow up to that one soon.
      In the Naval diving community we pressure-proofed mechanical and electronic devices immersed in pure silicon oil. The case of the device usually having some flexible element to it to equalize hydrostatic force with depth-changes. Expensive stuff though. The early CURV and other UUV's did that a lot.

David
      Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 01-21-2020, 06:34 PM.
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

Waterproof servos will come with an International Protection rating. It is usually IP followed by two numbers-the first number indicates the resistance to contaminants such as dust and will almost always be a "6". The second number is the important one...for our purposes it is usually a "6", "7", or an "8" . An IP66 rating is resistant to heavy splashing or jetted water-like washing off your Rock Crawler-surface runner?. An IP67 is water resistant to 1 meter submerged-short excursions just below PD... And the big one Alice- an IP68 which is good for extended trips to "1 meter and beyond"..The prices increase exponentially as the IP rating increases. Quite frankly-the IP66 servos will work just fine with a little work.
        Last edited by Bob Gato; 01-21-2020, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Bob Gato
          Captain
          • Feb 2019

From economical sport to high end, ultra premium, we have the perfect high voltage servo for you!

Here is the industries first IP 67 rated servo by Hitec (and many have followed) ...as they say "Waterproof, not water resistant" priced at just under $50 everywhere. An IP 68 servo will cost hundreds...this servo (or any of its brothers) If mounted upside down, it will hold trapped air and perform just as well as an IP 68 for those "sit on the bottom excursions"

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot (132).png Views:	0 Size:	37.3 KB ID:	136272

Comment

• Kim Sleep
            Commander
            • Nov 2013

Thanks guys. I purchased an IP67 HiTek, altho god only knows if its an original, or a Clone. It ended up being $52.00 with Conversion from Canadian....we shall see, but I will be mounting it upside-down, like suggested by more skilled Mariners than myself.
            Last edited by Kim Sleep; 01-22-2020, 10:57 AM.
            A man of true Frankenstinean proportions!!

Comment

Working...