• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scubaed1911
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Jul 2019

Attenuation from pond algae?

Possible? Pretty severe beyond 12"
    Last edited by scubaed1911; 07-13-2019, 04:01 PM.
    If you're part of the particulate, then you're not part of the solution"
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Why do you think it is algae? I would guess something other, like particulate in the water. Maybe salts?
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• scubaed1911
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Jul 2019

It's algae that my homeowners association is having treatment applied to by a local firm. Three aerators are already active. Heavy rains this spring caused additional runoff and nitrogen build-up from lawns.

Currently zero vis beyond 12".

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

I honestly have no way of knowing and can only offer the more common answers. In Las Vegas, the ponds I run at they put a blue treatment in the water. This implants my range. The simple answer is yes something in the water is causing poor reception whether it is the run off into the pond or the treatment or ?
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• scubaed1911
          Lieutenant, Junior Grade
          • Jul 2019

Thanks!

I'll confess I'm not a builder, and am waiting on a Type VIIC from Bob with an expected delivery of early next year. Just fielding some questions ahead of next spring's patrols.

So not experiencing problems yet, and as organic matter probably wouldn't expect much diffraction. As the pond is deep (70'), possible thermoclines nearer the surface (3-6'), which may have an impact, though hopefully the more aggressive algal treatment this summer will alleviate the issue somewhat by next spring.

While speaking of algae gunk, what's been your experience with cleaning gunk from foam buoyancy inserts?
          Last edited by scubaed1911; 07-14-2019, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• scubaed1911
            Lieutenant, Junior Grade
            • Jul 2019

Any ideas?

Tough crowd.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
              Welcome to my underwater realm!
              • Aug 2009

Ed,

Responding here in conjunction with the email you sent bringing my attention to the lack of a response after 24hrs.

I'm sure you're a member of many other forums where a response is basically guaranteed within minutes of posting. This is not one of them. We have a small population of exceptionally talented modelers here. I'm guessing that A) people simply had other things to do on a Sunday or B) your question, located at the end of your last post, was missed, or deemed outside the realm of experience of most sub operators. I, for one, rarely if ever operate my boats in ponds polluted by large amounts of algae or other "gunk". I'd have to think an immediate rinse with fresh water from your home garden hose would take care of the issue.

Bob

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by scubaed1911
                Possible? Pretty severe beyond 12"
                THPPFT!!!

Algae? What's wrong with a little biologics?!?! Come run with us, we've had "Ice Station Zebra" conditions.

My 1:96 FBM U.S. GRANT upper left, Ray Mason's 1:72 ALFA lower right.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Really.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	133100

There is NO evidence of electromagnetic interference from algae. Like others said here, there is something else in the water besides the life in there giving you an issue.

For most of my time you can see for me it's a visual issue if anything.

The photo below is taken from a Rare earth magnet on my "mooring Buoy" taken at the very North Lake we run on at the Navy Sub Base in Groton. I ask you, what solution in the water CAN MAKE SAND (an insulator) AND PEBBLES stick to a magnet?!?! Look at all the ferrous material as well. That particular man-made lake glitched us for years with all the submerged plumbing, apparently rotting away too lol.

Point being you may not know what's actually in "your" pond.

Click image for larger version

Name:	magnet.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	133101

Like Bob said, fresh water rinse once home. Inside AND out. I do it regardless of where I run. The "Groton Granite" coating everything on the boat can last for months. In some conditions if I don't take a sponge to the hull and work it a little, I end up with weathering that beats anything Bob or Dave can do...it's just not as consistent lol.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
                NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
                USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• scubaed1911
                  Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                  • Jul 2019

Thanks guys!

Like I mentioned, pond maintenance didn't quite expect the heavy rainfall we had here in South Carolina, but our HOA is aware of the situation and would like the ponds in a condition to re-stock with fish next year, so hoping then the bio-mass will be in better condition by then!
                  Last edited by scubaed1911; 07-15-2019, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...