X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex White
    Ensign
    • Sep 2018

Picking the Right Scenario

Disclaimer: I don't really know what topic to assign this as, or whether there even is a forum on the internet that specializes in this.

I've previously mentioned that I'm not a fan of static models, considering I'm on and R/C submarine forum I can assume at least some of you share in this opinion. I mean static as in the shelves full of plastic Revell models I have to stare at when at work, I just find them to be lifeless and fragile. I wanted to see if I could attempt to build models that looked like they were in motion, undergoing a certain event. I came up with an idea, not exactly original but it would give new life to the plastic models. I'm talking about destroying them. Now hear me out, there are two groups of people in this world, those that are interested in things that are sunk and those interested in things floating. I tend to alternate depending on the story. But it got me thinking, I wouldn't be standing out if I were to simply make recreations of famous shipwrecks, its been done before and there are likely many out there far more skilled than me that pull it off. My idea is to build some "dioramas?" of some very niche shipwrecks. They don't have to be vessels that actually shipwrecked, they just have to be something that you know nobody else has paid interest to. Here's an example, Julliett 484 or K-77, she was a soviet submarine that yours truly partially owned for some time.....before she sank. Trust me when I say K-77 is already a niche vessel, I almost had a heart attack when I saw Bob was selling a model of one, I then proceeded to have the heart attack when I saw the price; its rare. But you know what you won't find? A model of her wreck. She sat on the bottom for more than a year before being raised, and the pictures of her were indescribable. The sub was completely intact (if your version of intact is a total loss) and after a year on the bottom the marine encrustations made the thing look like the Flying Dutchman. I'd be interested in immortalizing her in that state.

Anyways I just really need some shipwrecks ideas that no one has bothered to model before. They could be transitional, such as the ship sinking, or static, such as a the ship rusting on the bottom. It could be historical, like the Exxon Valdez, or hypothetical, what the QE2 would look like if she was sunk during the Falkland's War. It could even be a fictional vessel, such as the wreck of the Nautilus or Ulysses (I wanna see that as much as you do). If you have a specific ship in mind, just remember it has to exist already in model form. The more insane the better.

-Alex

• Peter W
    Captain
    • May 2011

How about a diorama of the Alfa in Hunt for Red October that gets hit with its own Torpedo ?

Peter

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

GOLIATH Awaits! From the TV movie of the same name. Imagine a Canard like cruise-ship sunken, but with the lights blazing through the port-holes as the occupants inside enjoy meals and the occasional dance?

Now, that would be a killer diorama! (Daddy, that sunken ship model. Why are the lights on?).

David
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• DMTNT
        Commander
        • Jun 2018

What if you depicted one of the numerous documented collisions between US and Soviet submarines during the cold war? One notable example would be the collision between Tautog and K-108 in 1970. I believe it was a severe enough impact that the crew of Tautog believed for years that the collision had caused the Soviet sub to sink.

Dead men tell no tales...

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Check out these videos.

https://youtu.be/jb2b9f9LAWw​​​​​​
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Alex White
            Ensign
            • Sep 2018

Gotta say I'm flattered by the amount of feedback. I'll make sure to look into each link and scenario you guys have recommended. Might have left one pretty big detail out of my building process though, partly due to the reception, but I'll bite the bullet. I plan on making these dioramas multi-layered. Based on the scenario, they will be in vertical chunks( still deciding the shape) of the sea, be it the sea floor all the way to the surface, including the air above, or it could just be the ocean floor. I hope to use some form of epoxy or poly resin to form a solid structure around the diorama. I'm going to assume from the few examples I have seen so far, that the practice of encasing and entire model in resin is not that popular and I can understand why. Once the model is immersed there is no room for modifying and the display itself is bulky in both size and weight. From my amateur point of view I'm not afraid to make mistakes, and I kind of like the bulkiness, it gives a presence to a shelf full of otherwise normal models (it won't fit on a shelf). My next reason might be overkill, but the resin itself will act as a permanent case, protecting it both from dust and damage and the resin gives me the ability to suspend the models in states of motion without the need for supporting beams. Most importantly, the resin gives me the ability to finally make the ocean look like the ocean, with different chemicals and tricks I can finally re-create its murky conditions.

The reason I'm yapping about the structure is because it will give me the ability to do some really outlandish displays. I haven't read all your contributions yet but someone suggested submarine collisions from the Cold War, I could do that, with the subs impacting each other deep underwater. I could tint the epoxy accordingly to reflect the darkness at depth and even add escaping air. Keep in mind though I would have to settle on either one to two levels at a time, such as the surface and underwater or open air and ocean surface, because if I were to do vertical slice from the bottom to the sky we'd be talking less about a vertical model and more of a load bearing structure. However, shallow water wrecks would do just fine. I even had this idea in mind to create a shallow water battleship wreck, with the superstructure rusting on the surface.
            Do what you wish with the information I've given. I still hope to hear more of your interesting ideas.

-Alex
            Last edited by Alex White; 09-28-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Scott T
              Commander
              • May 2009

Akron airship disaster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	article-2302204-190759C4000005DC-964_634x858.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	127786
              Attached Files

Comment