X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cliffhanger67
    Lieutenant
    • Oct 2013

Signal Interference between Servos

My motor runs with flutter in speed as the aft servo also flutters. The aft plane servo flutters when motor is running causing the motor to have interrupted RPM. The Aft servo is connected to the ADF2 Pitch section which in turn is connected to the receiver channel 6. I am using a WFLY 08 Transmitter 75 MHz with a WFLY receiver 70 MHz , crystal 70 on both. Is this the issue, ie 75 vs 70?
    Any body can help?
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

Do you have capacitors on the motor? Another thing that may help (if you do have capacitors installed) is a Ferrite Ring.
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• gantu
      Commander
      • Apr 2009

Regards Gantu

Comment

• cliffhanger67
        Lieutenant
        • Oct 2013

Yes, I got capacitors. Will try ferrite rings. But why only the aft servo which is connected to the ADF2?
        I have another identically powered boat but no similar issue.

Comment

• trout
          Admiral
          • Jul 2011

That question is right up there with the meaning of life! lol I am not sure why.
          If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• type7
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Apr 2009

Have you tried plugging in a different servo? I have found that some brands seem to have issues. Might be tied to voltage from the BEC or servo linkage binding but for me, usually finding a different servo makes the fluttering go away.

Comment

• QuarterMaster
              Rear Admiral
              • Sep 2015

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest it may be caused by power spikes w/the ADF2 on that particular channel.

When the ADF2 is actively working it may be causing "spiking" on the system as it needs power, as the servo it's connected to adds to it as well. Thereby creating more load on THAT channel.
              So a "Glitch Buster" might be the answer. They act as "storage" to even out the voltage throughout the VCC distributed by the RCVR as different components are being utilized.

I used them on ALL my old 75Mhz Rcver's

You can build it yourself for pennies:
              How to Make Your Own Rc Car Recever Glitch Buster for $1

Or purchase one:
              Novak 5626 Glitch Buster Capacitor

I made my own for my Teskey PROTEUS WTC (WIP). Went with a 2200uf 6.3V Electrolytic Cap (Mfr P/N ECA-0JM222) after I found out what was actually being used in the NOVAK .

I plug it in the old RX Battery Port since I get power from my ESC's. If that's not available either any unused channel, OR piggy back it onto a servo connector.

Here it is in the closed Water Tight Compartment: Click image for larger version  Name:	GB01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	493.1 KB ID:	122919

As you can see from this earlier picture of the WTC partially assembled, it is quite congested already in order to have all the functions I wanted.
              With all that going on, a "Glitch Buster" was warranted. Click image for larger version  Name:	GB02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	447.2 KB ID:	122920

The point being here it's a relatively inexpensive solution to try.

Give us feedback regardless if it helps if you do.

"Sub" Ed
              Last edited by QuarterMaster; 08-15-2017, 12:14 PM.
              v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
              NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
              USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• trout
                Admiral
                • Jul 2011

Ed,
                that is a great suggestion! I have wanted to try one, but seem to forget about them. Thank for the reminder!

Comment

• greenman407
                  Admiral
                  • Feb 2009

If you disconnect the ADF2 from your aft servo and reconnect the servo without using the ADF2 I think you will find that your fluttering, at least of the stern planes will go away
                  IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

Your ADF2 is picking up the vibrations produced by the motor. After reconnecting your ADF2 put the sub in some water and operate it. Many times being submerged in water , the water itself absorbs much of the vibrations and you will then be able to live with the minor fluttering that may remain
                    IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• Pawly
                      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                      • Jun 2013

Do you still have this issue Cliffhanger67? If you do, what have you tried? I had a similar issue on my Scorpion. It cleared away with the addition of a ferrite ring.

Comment

• RCSubGuy
                        Welcome to my underwater realm!
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by greenman407
                        Your ADF2 is picking up the vibrations produced by the motor. After reconnecting your ADF2 put the sub in some water and operate it. Many times being submerged in water , the water itself absorbs much of the vibrations and you will then be able to live with the minor fluttering that may remain
                        This is my assessment as well.

You can use some thick, double-sided foam tape to help isolate the ADF from the tray. Most pitch controllers are really sensitive to vibration.

Bob

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by SubHuman

This is my assessment as well.

You can use some thick, double-sided foam tape to help isolate the ADF from the tray. Most pitch controllers are really sensitive to vibration.

Bob
                          I've got about twenty operational SD's -- most of them equipped with either APC or APC2. In air they all produce vibration induced flapping of the stern planes when the motor/LPB/servos are running. But, not to worry, the damping effect of the immersed system (SD within the submarine) pretty much negates the vibration (motor and servo operation) induced stern plane oscillations seen in air.

Stop sweating this stuff and get your model in the water and have fun.

David
                          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• cliffhanger67
                            Lieutenant
                            • Oct 2013

Originally posted by Pawly
                            Do you still have this issue Cliffhanger67? If you do, what have you tried? I had a similar issue on my Scorpion. It cleared away with the addition of a ferrite ring.
                            I installed a Ferrite Ring on the signal wire from the ESC. It worked. Calmed the system. Thank you all. It's just that this second boat which basically a copy of the first boat has this issue. tThe first boat did not need this Ferrite Ring. Anyway, I will leave this boat as it is until i need to Ferrite it.

Comment

• cliffhanger67
                              Lieutenant
                              • Oct 2013

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

I've got about twenty operational SD's -- most of them equipped with either APC or APC2. In air they all produce vibration induced flapping of the stern planes when the motor/LPB/servos are running. But, not to worry, the damping effect of the immersed system (SD within the submarine) pretty much negates the vibration (motor and servo operation) induced stern plane oscillations seen in air.

Stop sweating this stuff and get your model in the water and have fun.

David
                              Thanks David. My boat in question was really bad. Jitters on all servos and motor would come on and off with out any command. Boat had it's maiden run at Yorba Linda Regional Park pond two weeks ago.
                              Very satisfied now with the propulsion and diving systems.

Comment

Working...