Why the Bow Plane theory on the USOS/SSRN SEAVIEW is WRONG.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by RCSubGuy

No plans to even glance at reincarnating that fittings kit. Sorry.

Again, people.. the fittings kits were awesome for making life easy for conversion, BUT they are in no way whatsoever required to convert these kits to RC.
    Once upon a time. No more. You guys *****ed that the fittings kits cost too much.

What?!... you don't know how to build things? Your school stopped offering shop-class? You don't have the time to use your hands and brain? Guess you're SOL. Bide your time, boy's: Star Trek Replicators are right around the corner -- just imagine your glorious sense of accomplishment and pride once you mash the 'enter' key and your perfect SEAVIEW r/c submarine poops out of the machines back-side. You didn't have to do a damn thing other than make a menu selection.

Brave new world.

Indeed!

​​​​​​​​​
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• He Who Shall Not Be Named
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
      Question:
      Would the Seaview still handle well with just stern planes, no manta ray planes and fixed sail planes?
      Nope...................................
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• QuarterMaster
        Rear Admiral
        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named

Nope...................................
        Agree to VERY disagree.

My 80" DeBoer handled well enough without Stern OR Bow planes.

I could hold an almost perfect PD using speed adjustments alone. Thanks to that crazy bow.

The more you complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

...and she was true to the Television prototype.

v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
        NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
        USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by QuarterMaster

Agree to VERY disagree.

My 80" DeBoer handled well enough without Stern OR Bow planes.

I could hold an almost perfect PD using speed adjustments alone. Thanks to that crazy bow.

The more you complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

...and she was true to the Television prototype.
          So theoretically you could drive her with just a 2 channel pistol radio.
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
            Rear Admiral
            • Sep 2015

So theoretically you could drive her with just a 2 channel pistol radio.
            Maybe you could.

I still have a gas ballast tank to achieve "decks awash" when fully vented. (CH4) Fairwater Planes, mostly for looks as that depth control is near non-existent. Works fine, with parts bought at Home Depot.

Bow planes in my not so humble opinion on the SEAVIEW are UGLY, they NEVER appeared in the movie or television. Not arguing whether or not they're functional, only that was NEVER the intent of the production design. But I admit I wasn't there so I can't say for 100% certainty, they just make more sense as sonar domes. I'd argue most SEVIEW aficionados like the manta ray just as it is. FWIW they could have stuck more tradition dive planes up there and not downward curving "manta ray" fins. Dave is the first to say (and I quote), "These are SCALE models!" and need to be built that way. AGAIN, no evidence what so ever (unlike the skeg rudder) in film or TV. If we follow this route, go ahead and add dive and bow planes to a Disney NAUTILUS? Dave's trick of the "pivoting propeller" IS a perfect solution to the scale look of that boat.

Now, unlike Dave, I'm backing off absolutes. I encourage everyone to take what's written here on the forums as advice. To in fact doubt it all (even Dave's words of "wisdom"), doubt is a key element of learning, forcing you to find out for yourself. It sticks in the grey matter better.

So if you building one, try it without, then refit in in later if you're unsatisfied with the performance. That's the fun part of this hobby, you CAN always refit the boat! One boat can become several over it's lifetime.

My SEAVIEW worked fine FOR ME. I liked it, it was simple and fun to operate. very reliable with few points of failure.

OR, build yourself a "Frank-en" (Salerno) boat, spend 20 years in building , the last 5 years non-stop with countless hours of adding everything including the kitchen sink. Then enjoy that 10 minute run with a cheat sheet to remember all the functions as all those goodies fail. BTW, I love Frank and have sat by his side these past 5 years. But not his methodology, I realize he's a builder more than an operator. I do respect support what he does, I just enjoy betting on his success lol.

I really have no argument here, as I've "been there, done that, have the T-shirt", and no longer need to bother with this argument I'm self building. I just hate seeing people overcomplicate things, and walk away. Frank is 1 in a 10 million type of guy having "stuck to it" despite knowing people like me.

There's a LOT to be said for the KISS principle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SVW_1994.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	173512
            Nice waterline, huh?

Click image for larger version

Name:	twitter_hdr_01.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	173513
            v/r "Sub" Ed

USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Das Boot
              Rear Admiral
              • Dec 2019

I hope I don’t have to separate you two at the Subfest. If I do, it’s gonna get ugly.
              Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                Rear Admiral
                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Das Boot
                I hope I don’t have to separate you two at the Subfest. If I do, it’s gonna get ugly.
                Hey, many years I learned an old saying from an old Korean Electrical Engineer regarding always being perfect (or thinking so)

"Even the monkey falls from the tree."

Besides, he has his "Diet Mountain Dew" tribute coming!
                v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

• Das Boot
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Dec 2019

Hey, many years I learned an old saying from an old Korean Electrical Engineer regarding always being perfect (or thinking so)

Besides, he has his "Diet Mountain Dew" tribute coming!
                  Even so, as I used to tell my kids, don’t make me whip your asses and turn this car around.
                  Of the 40,000 men who served on German submarines, 30,000 never returned.”

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Actually it's a Japanese proverb...
                    But hey, Chinese, Korean, Japanese same ethnic group so more or less share same philosophy.

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• QuarterMaster
                      Rear Admiral
                      • Sep 2015

Actually it's a Japanese proverb...
                      But hey, Chinese, Korean, Japanese same ethnic group so more or less share same philosophy.
                      For the record, I did NOT say it was Korean, merely that it was one that told me lol!

My final point though, so there's NOT a scuffle at SubFest, is that we should all learn for ourselves. The venerable Master only points the way.

For the record, Dave respects people who speak up when they at least try to provide supporting evidence.
                      But I admit I enjoy poking the bear. It pleases me.

It's armchair builders/operators that blows his ballast.

As for the SEAVIEW?

I have spoken.
                      Last edited by QuarterMaster; 09-05-2023, 07:32 PM.
                      v/r "Sub" Ed

Comment

Working...