• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pdrum
    Ensign
    • Mar 2009

Wtc

Hey I'm pretty new at this.

I was wondering if anyone had plans to build a WTC? I'm trying to build one from scratch for a 1/44 U 2540 so it has to be pretty small. Thanks for the help!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by pdrum
    Hey I'm pretty new at this.

I was wondering if anyone had plans to build a WTC? I'm trying to build one from scratch for a 1/44 U 2540 so it has to be pretty small. Thanks for the help!

Sure. I'm scratch-building WTC's all the time.

David,
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

There are several threads on this forum discussing what to use to make WTCs.
      If you have specific questions we will attempt to help.

Caswell is a good source for parts and information, as well as complete WTC kits.
      Last edited by toppack; 03-12-2009, 01:02 PM.
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Here are my original costing experiences of building my own cylinder. A nightmare - for me, and certainly not cost effective as you will see here.

Make Your Own WTC?
        Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
          Here are my original costing experiences of building my own cylinder. A nightmare - for me, and certainly not cost effective as you will see here.

Make Your Own WTC?

Gotta say that I am so over people using the reason of "saving money" to build their own WTC. Heck I was guilty of that too as a newbie.

If you want to build your own WTC - go right ahead. It can be fun (it will be at times frustrating - some I know have even quit the hobby trying), but you will learn something and it can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience. I and others here will never knock that - but it really is IM experienced opinion folly to set out on the task primarily to save money.

IMO: At best it might be line ball with buying something off the shelf like a SD. At worst it will cost you more and it still might not do what you intend. For the new guy a lot of the cost is in going the wrong route and finding out what you have is inadequate for the job.

I have encountered (certainly in my country), that there is still too much "noise" in the RC sub hobby especially for the new guy. Too many newbies head straight for their local hobby shop and get model boating advice usually from a hard core RC speed freak which is completely wrong. It would be better if these guys gave honest answers like - gee I don't know.

Experiment and have fun and if you want to explore the mechanics and manufacture of your own WTC do so, but if you want an economical, tried and tested product: buy off the shelf. A Merriman SD is a great place to start. If you want more hands on buy the Merriman SD in kit form.

Best

J:)
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
          Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• pdrum
            Ensign
            • Mar 2009

what is the Merriman SD? yeah i'm a newb, i went and bought a plastic revell model to convert 1:144 and it's too small also the propellers are on the fins? so there's no way to drive it. it's a u2540 xxi. well anyways. I would like to scratch build my wtc, i just don't exactly know about the electronics part and how to calibrate servos... if you have too

Comment

• Slats
              Vice Admiral
              • Aug 2008

what is the Merriman SD? yeah i'm a newb, i went and bought a plastic revell model to convert 1:144 and it's too small also the propellers are on the fins? so there's no way to drive it. it's a u2540 xxi. well anyways. I would like to scratch build my wtc, i just don't exactly know about the electronics part and how to calibrate servos... if you have too
              The Merriman SD - means Subdriver branded WTC built / designed by David Merriman III.

For more information on how small these WTC are and the plastic models that they can go into visit the caswell website of which this forum is part of:

John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
              Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• redboat219
                Admiral
                • Dec 2008

Just get the 1.25" SD. Since the SD has a single motor and Type XXI has 2 propellers located on the stern planes , you can either make then operable ( more complicated) by using gears to counter-rotate them or just simply do what this guy did with a Trumpeter 1/144 scale Romeo class submarine...

Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

As you can see, I've designed the basic single-shaft 1.25 SD so that with the simple addition of an idler gear equipped with a shaft, I can produce two counter-rotating shafts from the basic 1.25 SD motor bulkhead.

Powering a two-screwed submarine? ... No sweat! Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt!

So, so many little plastic submarine kits out there to convert to r/c ... so, so little time!

David,
                  Attached Files
                  Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
                    Admiral
                    • Dec 2008

Any more secrets up your sleeve David :p? That is absolutely amazing!

I see that it now has a snort system up front. My dream of seeing a static diving Revell U99 someday isn't too far off.
                    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
                      Any more secrets up your sleeve David :p? That is absolutely amazing!

I see that it now has a snort system up front. My dream of seeing a static diving Revell U99 someday isn't too far off.
                      Plenty of stuff.

... Right now I'm working a process to separate U235 from U238 with a kitchen strainer for an Iranian customer. Wonder what he needs that for? Film at 11.

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• toppack
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Nov 2008

Say WHAT!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
                        Rick L.
                        --------------------------------------------
                        * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
                        Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Nuke Power
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2008

david,
                          OMG If you can get your butt busy I might get a typhoon running for the regatta. Get your butt in gear. I wasnt even concerned till you showed that typhoon and now I am angry that you arent finished!!! Get your but in the garage and get that stupid thing read for production!! I want one now. I will call Mike if I have to.
                          Last edited by Nuke Power; 03-13-2009, 10:06 PM. Reason: David is to slow

Comment

• Nuke Power
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2008

ps is that the 1/350 dragoon model cause i see mike doesnt carry it.

Comment

• pdrum
                              Ensign
                              • Mar 2009

Wow Merriman that's really awesome! Where can i get those sub-drivers taht small? and those gears? *really excited now and not dissapointed* haha

Comment

Working...