X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael440
    Lieutenant, Junior Grade
    • Mar 2021

Help needed with Vex 6 channel receiver and transmitter

Hi, I have an Engel submarine I am building. However it looks like I need more channels then 6. This is what I have. 2x speed controllers for the motors. 1x servo for the rudder. 1x channel for the twin dive cylinders. This leaves me only 2 channels remaining. Yet I still have front and rear dive planes, and an Engel trim, LTP6 control that needs a prop channel and a switch channel to function. What can I do. And I have no idea what a prop channel is. Can anyone help. Thanks
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Michael440
    Hi, I have an Engel submarine I am building. However it looks like I need more channels then 6. This is what I have. 2x speed controllers for the motors. 1x servo for the rudder. 1x channel for the twin dive cylinders. This leaves me only 2 channels remaining. Yet I still have front and rear dive planes, and an Engel trim, LTP6 control that needs a prop channel and a switch channel to function. What can I do. And I have no idea what a prop channel is. Can anyone help. Thanks
    Start hunting around for an old Futaba 9C series transmitter and matching receiver on the 75 or 72mHz band. Or (gasp!) use a more capable 2.4gHz system and resign yourself to never diving (intentionally) below periscope depth. BORING!!!....

The VAX ch-5 and ch-6 are non-proportional, which leaves you with only four proportional channels on that transmitter. Not suitable for all the bells and whistles on that overly complicated model currently cluttering up your workbench.

Do you really need differential control of the two shafts? I wouldn't bother if it was my boat. Just gang the two motors to one ESC and be done with it.

KISS!

David
    Crusher of High Hopes and Lofty Intentions
    Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-16-2023, 01:40 PM.
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Michael440
      Lieutenant, Junior Grade
      • Mar 2021

Thanks. I am in the U.K. and getting 40mhz radio gear is getting very hard these days. If I go 24mhz, I understand that I need to keep the aerial clear of the water. What if I attached to a float of some kind. Something that looks like a small lifeboat let’s say. Would that work. How long can I make an aerial. Thanks.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Michael440
        Thanks. I am in the U.K. and getting 40mhz radio gear is getting very hard these days. If I go 24mhz, I understand that I need to keep the aerial clear of the water. What if I attached to a float of some kind. Something that looks like a small lifeboat let’s say. Would that work. How long can I make an aerial. Thanks.
        I assume you meant 2.4gHz, not the 24mHz you wrote. Yes, you can extend the receivers 1.25" 2.4gHz antenna to a 'float' with some coaxial cable. But it will look like hell and will eventually foul around all the spike-like projections that are the GATO's periscope and antenna shears.

Find some used Futaba 9C gear on the 40mHz band is my recommendation.

Is this your first r/c submarine? If so, you have chewed off way too big a bite! Get a smaller boat the VOX system can handle.

David
        Last edited by He Who Shall Not Be Named; 04-17-2023, 08:17 AM.
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Or, you can stuff the 2.4gHz antenna into one of the periscope heads. Like this:

How To Adapt The 'New' 2.4gHz Gear To R/C Submarines - The Sub-drivers Forum (rc-sub.com)

David
          Who is John Galt?

Comment

• cheapsub
            Lieutenant Commander
            • Dec 2019

You can try this , is up to you

Comment

• Sinksalot
              Commander
              • Mar 2020

Easy one one, Buy these three items:

Dave

Comment

• cheapsub
                Lieutenant Commander
                • Dec 2019

That's convenient and affordable.

That's going to be hard to unload my junk.
                16 channel any one.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	20230418_001843.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	170690

Comment

Working...