X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hywel
    Lieutenant
    • Aug 2022

Robbe Futaba F-14 Navy Alternative

Howdy, all. Are there any good alternatives to this radio, it seems to be unavailable :/

Cheers

- hywel
  • JHapprich
    Captain
    • Oct 2017

You could use the similar F-16 as well or find a standard F-14 and a twin stick module and install it yourself. I heavily modified my F-14. Click image for larger version

Name:	20211024_225635_copy_1200x1600.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	165585

Comment

• hywel
      Lieutenant
      • Aug 2022

The F-16's seem just as rare, it seems. I'll just keep looking, thank you!

Comment

• gantu
        Commander
        • Apr 2009

See this

Regards Gantu

Comment

• Sinksalot
          Commander
          • Mar 2020

I seen Robbe F-14, F-16, FC-18 and FC-28 where people added a twin stick. The main problem is finding one of those transmitters. There where never many in the US. Most people I know buy the FC-18 or the FC-28 as there module transmitter and easier tor run by adding 72 or 75mhz module. But then you need to find and buy a twin stick to install. For both the transmitter the twin stick, everyone I know had to buy them in the UK or Germany and ship them to the US. Which drives the price up alot.

Comment

• gantu
            Commander
            • Apr 2009

Hi the F models of the remotes are very cheap in Germany I saw some for 30 to 40 euros used. If I can help you out I can send them to you?
            Regards Gantu

Comment

• SubICman
              Lieutenant
              • Jun 2022

I have a single stick fF16 That was originally 40 Mhz that I bypassed and added a Futaba 75 Mhz module to. I also have a twin stick F-14 in 2.4 Ghz. They can be found,, just need to be patient. They are very easy to mod away from 40 Mhz to 75 if your in the states.

Comment

• hywel
                Lieutenant
                • Aug 2022

Thank you all very much - I've found some options that might work.I'd be interested to understand how you converted to 75Mhz SubICman - sounds like I need to cannabalize an existing 75Mhz unit or find one with a swappable module. Cheers!

Comment

• SubICman
                  Lieutenant
                  • Jun 2022

Originally posted by hywel
                  Thank you all very much - I've found some options that might work.I'd be interested to understand how you converted to 75Mhz SubICman - sounds like I need to cannibalize an existing 75Mhz unit or find one with a swappable module. Cheers!
                  It is fairly simple. You make a harness from a servo lead and a piece of long pin header and jumper wire from an electronics or Arduino prototyping kit. My assignment of servo lead wires is as follows" Red negative batt., Black positive batt, and white is PPM.

Cut a bread board jumper in half for the antenna adapter. ( the short white lead with the pin on the end)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221018_083721.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.1 KB ID:	165687Click image for larger version  Name:	20201226_073026_310b0163b754509aab6c9651d16162fe7d2874f3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.7 KB ID:	165688

Then you unsolder a jumper from the main board. This is the power to the Radio on the board. It is the spot with discoloration around it that the arrow is pointing at.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221018_083408 fixed.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.2 KB ID:	165689

Unplug the Antenna from the board.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221018_083258.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	165685

Then plug in your harness, antenna lead and your FM module. The positive lead (Black) on the trainer is to top of the trainer jack when looking at the mainboard so that the control jacks are closest to you. Remove the bracket for the multi switch, and the FM module is double sided tapped into the multi switch bay, Velcro could be used also. Done!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221018_083158.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.0 KB ID:	165686
                  Last edited by SubICman; 10-18-2022, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• hywel
                    Lieutenant
                    • Aug 2022

THIS IS AWESOME!!! Thanks so much SubICman for the guide, I'll be doing this as soon as I get my hands on one!! Absolutely epic!

Comment

• SubICman
                      Lieutenant
                      • Jun 2022

No problem. It's easy, doesn't violate the FCC and was actually a fun little endeavor. Putting my navy electronics background, applied electronics and EE degrees to work for good....lol

Comment

• hywel
                        Lieutenant
                        • Aug 2022

Ha! While I'm handy with a soldering iron, I have zero understanding of electronics - and don't even get me started on LEDs and resistor calculations!

I really appreciate the guide, thanks a million. Based on the board I see assuming this is an FC-16 you're modifying? Is the board similar across the F-14 and FC-* models? I'm sure there are differences, just wondered if they're significantly different, you know?

Cheers,

Comment

• hywel
                          Lieutenant
                          • Aug 2022

Originally posted by gantu
                          I’m so sorry I missed this, this is GENIUS … thank you for sharing

Comment

• Bob Gato
                            Captain
                            • Feb 2019

https://radiosouthrc.com/. This company can make anything you want I inquired as to whether they can convert a 72 MHz radio to 75 MHz... I was told no problem if I could supply the crystals..... Interesting possibilities...

Comment

• hywel
                              Lieutenant
                              • Aug 2022

Originally posted by Bob Gato
                              https://radiosouthrc.com/. This company can make anything you want I inquired as to whether they can convert a 72 MHz radio to 75 MHz... I was told no problem if I could supply the crystals..... Interesting possibilities...
                              VERY interesting indeed! Thanks!

Comment

Working...