X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • QuarterMaster
    Rear Admiral
    • Sep 2015

Hey BOB!!! Lookit who we found!!

We're quite active and growing here in Metro NY. Running every weekend. Partnering up with the Empire State Model Mariners, home based in Flushing (Queens) NY, has been a very strategic and SMART move. Though we run out on Long Island 3 out of 4 weekends a month (two other running ponds), the once a month trip into Queens for the ESMM Member picnic affords great visibility for what we do best, bringing new sailors into the fold. Plus who can't beat free, authentic Queens cuisine as a club member?? Look at the girth on these boys!!

Featured in these photos is the UPHOLDER owned by Capt. Eden "Jonesy" Jones.

As his first sub he need a little help from yours truly (nerd in the goofy Capt's hat) in learning how to operate his boat. Today was the first time HE ran it. Many of you who follow Bob's "RCSubGuy" know this boat as it was featured in a build/repair video by Bob, yeah the one with the "Uber" Shipping container.

This boat is a DREAM to operate, and Bob's weathering impressed even the owners of the most detailed tugs.

"Jonesy" left for the day walking three feet off the ground. I envy his "first" time. Madone!!

Capt. Jones is native to world famous Brooklyn NY. While not chowing down on a Lemon Ice or enjoying an Egg Cream, his other interests besides RC Submarines are: Stoop ball, NY Sneer and Leer socials, Japanese Schoolgirl Manga, and Urinating for distance contests.

...fuggedaboutit!

Here's the "crew"
    L-R
    Capt. Ray Mason
    Capt. Eden "Jonesy" Jones
    Capt. "Sub" Ed Tordahl
    Capt Bob "Alligaitor" Gaito
    Capt. Brian Wright, who is also new to the fold, and will be attending SubFest 2020 with me! (Lets initiate him "properly" folks!!)

Many thanks to Capt. Ray Mason for his excellent photography skills!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Crew.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.4 KB ID:	143016

Click image for larger version  Name:	U2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.4 KB ID:	143017

Click image for larger version  Name:	U3.JPG Views:	0 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	143018

Click image for larger version  Name:	U4.JPG Views:	0 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	143019

Click image for larger version  Name:	U6.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	143020

Click image for larger version  Name:	U7.JPG Views:	0 Size:	46.2 KB ID:	143021

Click image for larger version  Name:	U8.JPG Views:	0 Size:	44.8 KB ID:	143022

Capt. "Jonesy" at SubSchool
    Click image for larger version  Name:	U9.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.4 KB ID:	143023

Click image for larger version  Name:	U10.JPG Views:	0 Size:	54.3 KB ID:	143024

Capt. "Jonesy" earning his "RC Dolphins"
    Click image for larger version  Name:	U11.JPG Views:	0 Size:	55.8 KB ID:	143025

Click image for larger version  Name:	u13.JPG Views:	0 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	143026
    Last edited by QuarterMaster; 08-25-2020, 07:18 AM.
    v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
    NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
    USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS
  • RCSubGuy
    Welcome to my underwater realm!
    • Aug 2009

Darned spanky! Thanks for sharing the pics, Ed.

That was a great build and the Upholder is a nice running boat. The one thing I didn’t like was the tremendous SIR ( sail induced roll) while turning at speed. It’s not an issue, really, but you need to get used to it!

Bob

Comment

• QuarterMaster
      Rear Admiral
      • Sep 2015

Originally posted by SubHuman
      Darned spanky! Thanks for sharing the pics, Ed.

That was a great build and the Upholder is a nice running boat. The one thing I didn’t like was the tremendous SIR ( sail induced roll) while turning at speed. It’s not an issue, really, but you need to get used to it!

Bob
      Actually I didn't notice it, but then again I was keeping her at a low bell teaching him the nuances of maintaining PD.

Capt. Jonsey is a very conservative driver, so I don't think it will prove to be an issue over time.

Regardless we're meeting up this Sunday so we'll explore control at high bells. I also may have a spare Throttle ratchet spring for his throttle stick.

I was able to replace both of my Vex units purchased from you. Both older Futaba and Hitec were a direct fit as the mounting fixtures are there. Radios that had been gutted over the years.

Teaching is FUN!!
      v/r "Sub" Ed

Silent Service "Cold War" Veteran (The good years!)
      NEVER underestimate the power of a Sailor who served aboard a submarine.
      USS ULYSSES S GRANT-USS SHARK-USS NAUTILUS-USS KEY WEST-USS BLUEBACK-USS PATRICK HENRY-K432-U25-SSRN SEAVIEW-PROTEUS-NAUTILUS

Comment

• Bob Gato
        Captain
        • Feb 2019

Jonesy stopped in at Babylon pond today with his Upholder and I stopped in in time to get this short footage..

RC model sub at Babylon pond- Jonsey's sub, shot by Bob Gaito
        Last edited by Bob Gato; 08-31-2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• canvasman
          Ensign
          • Oct 2020

Thanks for posting, nice shots of the Upholder! Just joined the forum and looking to possibly build an Upholder myself this winter. I have a ton of rc experience, but not in subs, but always wanted to build one. So I have much to learn needless to say to that end. The series Bob has on the Upholder peaked my interest in building that sub. My question is what is the basic difference between a OTW cylinder and a Beck's? I really do not know what if any quality differences there are. Thanks in advance, hope it is not a stupid question. Mark

Comment

• RCSubGuy
            Welcome to my underwater realm!
            • Aug 2009

Not a stupid question at all, Mark.

They're fundamentally the same. OTW uses electronic solenoids for halting backflow. Beck's uses a servo actuated pinch valve. Not sure if Becks' went to a gear pump, but they used to have a centrifugal pump that didn't quite have the pressure that the OTW gear pumps did, which means the OTW unit gets more use from the ballast tank. Beck's compression rods are external. OTW's are internal.

Beck's units are undergoing constant revisions as they get their design nailed down. OTW has been doing this for decades. They still have units running from over 20 years ago.

I carry both, though OTW has suspended all cylinder sales pending further notice due to COVID-related supply chain issues.

Bob

Comment

• canvasman
              Ensign
              • Oct 2020

I get it Bob, would rather the OTW, but that being said, Is there a place you can view the Beck's Cylinder? Not much of anything on his website. Thanks, Mark

Comment

Working...