Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Von Hilde
    Rear Admiral
    • Oct 2011

I just woke up, so it took a couple min to give a Gestimated attempt and say, rescue buoy locker, but I thought it may be an old sonor decoy dispenser (Disco bubble machine) as well. She was decommissioned a week before I got out of the Navy. At one time it was a Radar picket and had all kinds of big bulky antennas stuck all around, back on the afterdeck, so it may have been a relocation mod. I never got on that one.Click image for larger version

Name:	spinax.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	74250
    Last edited by Von Hilde; 11-04-2012, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• Roddersuk
      Lieutenant
      • Sep 2011

Would it be a marker buoy housing on Spinax?

Comment

• greenman407
        Admiral
        • Feb 2009

That is my understanding Roddersuk, according to the text that came with the picture. Razorback also had one as well. Thanks for the picture VonHilde!
        IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• greenman407
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

I SPY a midget sub! Who can clue us in. And Im not talking about the Girl. Click on the picture and it will get a little smaller so you can see the whole thing.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020258.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	74617
          Last edited by greenman407; 11-15-2012, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Von Hilde
            Rear Admiral
            • Oct 2011

thats a Ko hyoteki IJN midget in Sidney, actually two, that they recovered during the war and put together to make one good one, for a Bond tour. The girl is a Japanese tourist, possiblly posing for her husband, in front of one of their Grandparents final resting places. I wonder what happened to the net cutter. Thats one of the cool parts. Its a later version of the "A" model, Pearl Harbor boats (different sail) Both boats they recovered were badly damaged, so when they stuck the good front end on the other good aft end, lots of parts didnt match up. Kinda like takin the neck off a Gibson Les Paul and putting it on a Fender Strat body. Looks like a geetar to most anybody that dont play one. Ive seen the same thing done to antique cars and airplanes as well. "It just aint right"

Comment

• greenman407
              Admiral
              • Feb 2009

Im certainly going to take your word for it. Now I can rename the photo. Thanks

Comment

• Roddersuk
                Lieutenant
                • Sep 2011

Very interesting, but why has a Jap midget sub in Sydney (that's the way the Ockers spell it) got a Dago name?

Comment

• trout
                  Admiral
                  • Jul 2011

I am going to disagree with this being a Ko-Hyoteki IJN midget, just to be ornery. The sail does not seem right (too modern) and the bow has what looks like a torpedo coming out, the Ko-Hyoteki IJN midget had the torpedoes stacked one above the other. Why would it have Barcelona on it? I am going to research this one a little more. At first I thought it was a drug smuggler sub, but I am pretty sure those do not have torpedoes.
                  Last edited by trout; 11-16-2012, 04:00 PM.
                  If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• gantu
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2009

Is an Spanish Tiburón SA51 Submarine
                    Regards Gantu

Comment

• trout
                      Admiral
                      • Jul 2011

YES! THAT'S IT! gantu, thank you. You came through again.

If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• trout
                        Admiral
                        • Jul 2011

Another view
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiburón SA51_01.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	74669

Comment

• greenman407
                          Admiral
                          • Feb 2009

2 For 2 Mr. Gantu.

Comment

• greenman407
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Trout, I was going to call you a "Doubting Thomas". But it appears you wernt just Ornery, you were right. Praise the Lord and pass the Ammunition!

Comment

• alad61
                              Commander
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by trout
                              Another view
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]17123[/ATTACH]
                              Cheers Gantu. The only mini subs from WWII I know of are in the Canberra War memorial & Museum and not Sydney... Mind you when I was there some many years back they were on display outside in the weather. I have some old photos somewhere I will have to dig up. After jumping on the web site and seeing all the changes I may have to make a trip back there. It'll be a good excuse to try to get more info and back ground on my grandfathers battalion the 2/9th in New Guinea
                              Cheers,
                              Alec.

Reality is but a dream...
                              But to dream is a reality

Comment

• Von Hilde
                                Rear Admiral
                                • Oct 2011

Sorry guys, I was mis directed in my search. I googled Midjet sub barcelona, and somehow it got directed to the IJN M24 pics in Australia. Thats why I didnt see there wasnt any net cutters. I was refering to the ones on the front of the tower on the M24 which was one of the two Australia boats. As for the girl, I was just being jokingly speculative. Oh yeah, and sorry about the sidney, Sydney.
                                Last edited by Von Hilde; 11-17-2012, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...