X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
    Alan's 1/12 scale boat was a bit too big for my tastes. A modeller over here scratchbuilt a lovely little 1/24th scale x-craft which I always thought was a perfect size.
    Originally posted by Kazzer
    I'm inclined to agree. It's a big boat as per Alan's spec.
    So Mike, what size have you settled on for your Vac formed X craft?
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
      So Mike, what size have you settled on for your Vac formed X craft?
      It's the same one I've always said I'd do, because I have permission and a hull to use. 1:12
      Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• herrmill
        Commander
        • Dec 2008

Yea, shame its not a tad smaller... 1/24 would be the sweet spot & go nice beside that Seehund I'm currently building.

Comment

• Slats
          Vice Admiral
          • Aug 2008

I'm having discussions next week with a guy over here who I recently commissioned 3 new GRP target hulls from regarding him doing an X craft in either 1/20 or 1/24 (including side cargoes). I have an excellent set of plans in 1/24 that came with a book, I bought from Mike a couple of years back called Midget Submarines of the Second World War.
          Here is a link:

I don't want to create vapourware but I'd be keen to know if there is interest in an X craft this size. At 1/20 or 1/24 you could probably get away with being a dynamic diver or having a tiny BT as there is very little free board. It might not be practical to accommodate SAS, but could accommodate a simple LPB / vent system for the ballast with a positive buoyancy setup.
          Last edited by Slats; 09-27-2013, 03:08 AM. Reason: link added
          John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
            Admiral
            • Feb 2009

The main market is going to be Australia and UK, with maybe a handful elsewhere. Not popular in the U.S or Europe.

UK modellers are likely to say-too small and fiddly. I think with todays equipment that is moot, but old habits die hard. Might have some appeal as a static kit.

X-craft work well as dynamic divers, but will need higher than scale speed to submerge under power. They would only need a ballast tank of about 100ml.

Comment

• Slats
              Vice Admiral
              • Aug 2008

Alan's 1/12 scale boat was a bit too big for my tastes. A modeller over here scratchbuilt a lovely little 1/24th scale x-craft which I always thought was a perfect size.
              So Andy do you still feel 1/24 is "perfect size"? I'm leaning towards getting this done in 1/20 purely based on the knowledge of what Subdriver products I could throw inside it. But I'm not sold hard and fast either way. Thanks for the heads up on the dynamic dive issues. I think I'd be going small vented tank with LPB from the Subdriver range.
              I know Chuck said on this thread awhile back 1/24 he'd like.

J
              John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Your boat, do it to the scale you like.

1/24th is a little mroe conventional, I guess the Seehund Chuck is talking about is the RPM one, which is 1/22nd scale, so 1/20th would be closer in some respects. The little delphin I'm working on is 1/24th- diddy little boat at that scale.

Think you'd do well to design the boat so it could be configured as a dry hull or wet hull.

Comment

• Slats
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Aug 2008

Your boat, do it to the scale you like.

1/24th is a little mroe conventional, I guess the Seehund Chuck is talking about is the RPM one, which is 1/22nd scale, so 1/20th would be closer in some respects. The little delphin I'm working on is 1/24th- diddy little boat at that scale.

Think you'd do well to design the boat so it could be configured as a dry hull or wet hull.
                  Thanks Andy, I think I'll keep it simple, which is what I know and a wet setup.
                  Cheers

J
                  John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

1/20 it shall be. It will take the 2.5" Subdriver. It will be small enough for practical pool use, and still sizable enough for shore line patrols at the lake.

I let you know how I get on. I am certainly not toting for business for a new kit. My motivation here is getting one done for me, but it would good to know if others would be interested.

just one question re the side cargoes. I am thinking that its probably best if these are removable, rather than a fixed extended part of the GRP hull? Andy and others in particular, do you see this as the best way to proceed?
                    Also re the plans in the book that are also found on Mike's site too below - are these accurate enough?

Thanks

John
                    Last edited by Slats; 09-27-2013, 10:19 PM.
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Subculture
                      Admiral
                      • Feb 2009

Most working model x-craft I have seen don't have the side cargoes fitted, an exception were the superb miniature x-craft built by an expert modeller back in the 80's. Those models benefited from the extra girth and buoyancy offered by the side pods. My thoughts are that by lowering the aspect of the submarine, they are likely to improve the turning circle at the expense of a slight increase drag- would be interesting to do an A/B comparison to see how that pans out in practice.

I would certainly have them as an independent part however.

Regarding the Paul Kemp plans in the book you mentioned, I have the same book. I don't think the plans are 100%, but I'm not an expert on this craft. What I can say is that the Seehund plans on the flip side have several mistakes.

The very best person to speak to about X-craft is Alan Poole. He made the large 1/12th scale boat, and did a great deal of research into this craft.

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

Most working model x-craft I have seen don't have the side cargoes fitted, an exception were the superb miniature x-craft built by an expert modeller back in the 80's. Those models benefited from the extra girth and buoyancy offered by the side pods. My thoughts are that by lowering the aspect of the submarine, they are likely to improve the turning circle at the expense of a slight increase drag- would be interesting to do an A/B comparison to see how that pans out in practice.

I would certainly have them as an independent part however.

Regarding the Paul Kemp plans in the book you mentioned, I have the same book. I don't think the plans are 100%, but I'm not an expert on this craft. What I can say is that the Seehund plans on the flip side have several mistakes.

The very best person to speak to about X-craft is Alan Poole. He made the large 1/12th scale boat, and did a great deal of research into this craft.
                        many thanks Andy

J
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

The model I have was originated by Alan Poole and he gave me lots of photos too. They are on the web page.

Unfortunately, there are many problems with the museum piece which has been restored hastily, it seems, so that isn't a reliable source of information.

Alan told me the model I have demonstrates the accuracy of the original boats, but I don't have any info on the actual bombs.

Comment

• Slats
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Kazzer
                            The model I have was originated by Alan Poole and he gave me lots of photos too. They are on the web page.

Unfortunately, there are many problems with the museum piece which has been restored hastily, it seems, so that isn't a reliable source of information.

Alan told me the model I have demonstrates the accuracy of the original boats, but I don't have any info on the actual bombs.
                            Thanks Mike,
                            I'll proceed with caution, but I'll make use of the plans I have within the book I bought from you, as the main source of information.

Best
                            J
                            John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
                              Thanks Mike,
                              I'll proceed with caution, but I'll make use of the plans I have within the book I bought from you, as the main source of information.

Best
                              J
                              I think the book you refer to is by Kemp, and it isn't terribly accurate.

Comment

• subkraft
                                Lieutenant, Junior Grade
                                • Oct 2009

I'm putting my hand up for an x craft hull.....

The Kemp drawings.....I seem to recall reading somewhere that the drawings are an accurate reproduction of the restored x craft at Gosport. Problem being that it had been inaccurately replated at some point.

For what its worth....

Comment

Working...