Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kazzer
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by pjdog
    Me see's maybe eight (8) Yankees sitin' on a log everyone is rowing.
    Yes, there seems to be two crews of eight, all pretty girls! They stop by the pilings for their pep talk, then row down to Bushnell's Basin and back. Usually around 5pm every evening. On the 20th Sept, we have a Rowing Club Regatta, so get in some beer and popcorn and watch the webcam.

I used my trolling motor today, to go around the Oxbow Island. Fishing was really bad. One small pike hit my lure near the boat, and I missed him. Yesterday, a Bald Eagle dived into the water this side of the pontoon boat and pulled out a fish! Hulluva splash when he hit the water!

Tomorrow, I start putting in the posts for the new dock. I'd better take a few stills of the waterfront so you can see the blocks I'm putting in to stop the bank erosion.

In a week or two, the Canal Authority will cut down the big Cottonwood tree in my back yard. Should make an interesting video.
    Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• pjdog
      Commander
      • Apr 2009

Today while watching the Erie canal the camera was moving all over the place. If I get a vote I'd like to see the camera back where it was.

The trees are falling. What kind of tree did you cut down?

I think we need another camera. One for the canal and one for the falling trees.

Tell that guy in the boat to slow down (No Wake Zone). The guy in the boat was fishing the pilings yesterday. Must be fish there.
      Did you see that fish he got. Wounder what he got.

Put the camera back on the trees if your doing more cutting.

Jack
      Last edited by pjdog; 09-11-2009, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• Kazzer
        • Aug 2008

Today while watching the Erie canal the camera was moving all over the place. If I get a vote I'd like to see the camera back where it was.

The trees are falling. What kind of tree did you cut down?
        I think we need another camera. One for the canal and one for the falling trees.

Tell that guy in the boat to slow down (No Wake Zone). The guy in the boat was fishing the pilings yesterday. Must be fish there.
        Did you see that fish he got. Wounder what he got.

Put the camera back on the trees if your doing more cutting.
        Jack
        You must have been watching just as I was repositioning the camera while my landscape guy was felling the tall thin pine. It knocked out most of my view from the windows. We also removed a lot of shoreline evergreens. The big cottonwood's days are numbered too! I'm glad someone saw the tree going down!

I think the fisherman was catching some bass and panfish. He's using a float and small minnows about 3 feet deep. I hope to put in the first posts for the dock extension today, but I have to level the existing one a little first. Still working on the sub pens area to make the seawall better. It looks like hell, but a wooden deck will cover the concrete blocks eventually.

Comment

• pjdog
          Commander
          • Apr 2009

I'm so jealous, you went fishing today. I sold my boat after Katrina. We don't live on the water so the boat was always a drag it here or drag it there. Got tired of that, plus the maintenance. Sold it while it was still worth something.

I didn't see you catch anything?

Jack

Comment

• pjdog
            Commander
            • Apr 2009

I like the new view on the web cam. Looks like you are making progress on the dock and sub pens. Are more trees gone?

jack

Comment

• Kazzer
              • Aug 2008

We nailed an old cottonwood today. It was rotten at the base, hollow and darned dangerous. The NY State Canal System owned it, but I had to pay $600 to get it felled. Welcome to NY guys, where Upstate pays for The City.

The dock is almost finished. This weekend I add power down there. I found the old buried line with my divining rods, (see www.moonrakers.com/revealer) and hope to add a lamp post and a couple of power points to charge trolling batteries etc.

Fishing hasn't been good lately. Two small bass in four days is shameful. I tried a new rubber lure today, looks like a baby Perch, and that attracted the bass.

Lets hope the weather is better tomorrow. Hopefully I'll remember to cut the power before I start connecting the wires! :wink:

Comment

• Slats
                Vice Admiral
                • Aug 2008

Mike,
                is the water way you are near fresh or saltwater?
                J
                John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
                Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                  • Aug 2008

The water in the Erie Canal is the best in The Great Lakes region. The fish are the best to eat, low contaminants etc.

Comment

• Slats
                    Vice Admiral
                    • Aug 2008

Yes but can you run a sub there? That is the only issue that counts, everything else is a secondary consolation prize!!
                    John Slater

Sydney Australia

Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
                      Yes but can you run a sub there? That is the only issue that counts, everything else is a secondary consolation prize!!

I have to confess, not one sub of mine has been in the water here yet. I've been too busy, trying to find stuff, trying to find new homes for stuff, finding stuff that had new homes, doing stuff etc. etc Lots of maintenance to do, gardens to dig and plant, stuff to paint. And so on. To cap it all, I've got 'tennis elbow' from fishin', so I've been severely limited in moving heavy stuff around. (Damn - it HURTS!)

I think the water is ideal for submarines, because there is very little weed and no shopping trolleys! The biggest bonus is that on Nov 15th. they drain the canal for the winter, so I can walk out and collect any boat I happen to sink. (Highly probable!)

Comment

• Slats
                        Vice Admiral
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
                        I have to confess, not one sub of mine has been in the water here yet. I've been too busy, trying to find stuff, trying to find new homes for stuff, finding stuff that had new homes, doing stuff etc. etc Lots of maintenance to do, gardens to dig and plant, stuff to paint. And so on. To cap it all, I've got 'tennis elbow' from fishin', so I've been severely limited in moving heavy stuff around. (Damn - it HURTS!)

I think the water is ideal for submarines, because there is very little weed and no shopping trolleys! The biggest bonus is that on Nov 15th. they drain the canal for the winter, so I can walk out and collect any boat I happen to sink. (Highly probable!)
                        Before anything what is the salinity of the water like- remember salt water doesn't play well with signal and is equally not nice to parts.
                        John Slater

Sydney Australia

sigpic

Comment

• Kazzer
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
                          Before anything what is the salinity of the water like- remember salt water doesn't play well with signal and is equally not nice to parts.

It's The Erie Canal John. It's fed by The Great Lakes which are all fresh water. In fact the contaminant levels are so low that the fish caught in the canal have lower toxicity levels than any of the lakes around. No salt here! Actually, there may be a little in the winter from road run-off as New York State salts the highways liberally. Something you don't do in Oz -eh!

Here's my latest catch, a 3.5lb Walleye! Yummy bread-crumbed with some salt-n- malt vinegar! I should have wrapped it in newspaper to get a bit of the ink taste in it too! (Those days are GONE - thanks to the Common Market!)

Attached Files

Comment

• pjdog
                            Commander
                            • Apr 2009

I thought the canal would be lowered by now? When will that happen?

jack

Comment

• Kazzer
                              • Aug 2008

I thought the canal would be lowered by now? When will that happen?

jack
                              I guess they start at one end and just move along. I really don't know for this stretch, seeing as I've not been a 'canal person' before.

It will happen though! Isn't this exciting! %-)

Comment

• Kazzer
                                • Aug 2008

The canal is draining NOW!

Almost time to build my harbor.

Comment

Working...