X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redboat219
    Admiral
    • Dec 2008

Transport Box

Anyone got any good design for a transport box?
    Make it simple, make strong, make it work!
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
    Anyone got any good design for a transport box?

Oh, for Christ's sake! ... It's a BOX!!!

You can make a box, right? If not, you're in the wrong game.

Chop up some 1/4" thick exterior grade plywood into suitable sizes, cut up some 1"X1" square spar (molding its sometimes called) for interior edge lining. Add glue and finishing nails and you're done. The cheery on top is a handle.

Duh!
    Attached Files
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• redboat219
      Admiral
      • Dec 2008

There's got to be a easier lid locking technique than using screws. Also, What are the side holes for?

Comment

• pjdog
        Commander
        • Apr 2009

Sub box

I've been wondering also about transportation of the subs. Been struggling with the sub build so hard I haven't got that far yet. A picture is worth a 1000 words. I would assume that the holes are for the sub to dry out. They will be wet on the way home.

jack

Comment

• Kazzer
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by redboat219
          There's got to be a easier lid locking technique than using screws. Also, What are the side holes for?
          Hmm! Yes, I hate those darned screws, a long slow job if you don't have an electric driver handy. However, it makes it more secure and difficult for unwanted guests to tinker with. I thought about Velcro straps but at the end of the day, I couldn't be bothered.
          My boxes always come 'ready made' so I am fortunate. (Its a case of who you know, when it comes to box manufacture!)

Side holes are for keeping the boat aired out.

I wish my box troll would consider reversing the box, so the lid was on the bottom, so to speak. The foam inserts would be glued to this and then it would double as a display stand, and make it easier to access the boat. The 'Box' would become a cover and a lid. Maybe those turn-buckle thingies that hold together particle board furniture could secure the lid/cover to the stand? Don't ask me to make one, my saw's broken!
          Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• pjdog
            Commander
            • Apr 2009

sub box

I wish your box troll would consider making me a sub box. For monetary gain of course.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by pjdog
              I wish your box troll would consider making me a sub box. For monetary gain of course.
              I could build you a box you should be able to bang together youself, or I can work on these torpedoes and launchers.

Hmmm.... what to do, what to do ....

David,
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Kazzer
                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Merriman
                I could build you a box you should be able to bang together youself, or I can work on these torpedoes and launchers.

Hmmm.... what to do, what to do ....

David,
                If I hear your saw cutting wood, well, it's ragged toenail treatment for you pal!

Comment

• redboat219
                  Admiral
                  • Dec 2008

I hate those darned screws, a long slow job if you don't have an electric driver handy. However, it makes it more secure and difficult for unwanted guests to tinker with.

Ever heard of a lock and key?

Side holes are for keeping the boat aired out.

What prevents unwanted guest from sticking in their fingers through those holes?

I wish my box troll would consider reversing the box, so the lid was on the bottom, so to speak. The foam inserts would be glued to this and then it would double as a display stand, and make it easier to access the boat. The 'Box' would become a cover and a lid.

That would be better, specially for guys with big hands like me who would have a hard time getting the sub out of a cramped box.
                  Last edited by redboat219; 06-01-2009, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• pjdog
                    Commander
                    • Apr 2009

torpedoes and launchers

Please, torpedoes and launchers. Even more important, type VII fittings kit (please). I'll do my own box. Not as pretty but functional.

Jack

Comment

• Aug 2008

MAKE IT YOURSELF!

David,
                      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• pjdog
                        Commander
                        • Apr 2009

wood

Got it. I'm off to Home Depot to get supply's.

Jack

Comment

• SteveJ
                          Lieutenant
                          • Aug 2008

Well since I dont have the tools or a shop I will need to have one done for my seaview. Wonder if I could get one in "kit" form?

Steve

Comment

• Subculture
                            Admiral
                            • Feb 2009

Most wood yards will cut the timber for you to the correct sizes, if you specify the dimensions, and the cost is usually very reasonable. then you just need to glue and nail/screw it together. You don't need many tools to build a box.

Comment

• Kazzer
                              • Aug 2008

If cutting wood is a problem, consider using Triwall or double corrugated cardboard. You can cut that with a utility knife. If you have a large piece of board, you can simply score the board and then bend it to fold up the sides etc. Tape the joints and board edges with some fiberglass drywall tape (the stuff that is sticky) and then either paint it with a good marine paint or better still epoxy paint. Give it a couple of coats.

To make a lid, just cut a piece of board to the outside size of the box, and another to fit inside, then glue them together.

Boxes made like this are very strong and lightweight.

Wrap some Velcro around the outside of the box to secure the lid.

Comment

Working...