• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
    I don't 'shake it up' with the High-Roller crowd, like you guys do. :D
    I'll just continue to Refuse to be 'Ripped-Off'. ;)

('Ripped-Off', as in: thief, crook, bandit, dishonest, con-man, etc.)
    Rick that's not a nice call mate. An awful lot of hard work happens behind the scenes of kit development. It involves investment and sacrifice -usually a mainstream income is worked at the same time, and there is the usual family responsibilities too.

Am not the high roller either mate. I have just disposed of some kits to pay for new ones. In fact a lot of guys have to do this and or spend months /years saving for what they really want.

I respect your position / opinion, but its another thing altogether to call people dishonest etc on the basis its out of your price bracket.

Lets be positive here Rick please.:)
    Thanks

John
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• toppack
      Rear Admiral
      • Nov 2008

I'm usually not this negative but I just could Not let this one slide without saying something.
      It really was a big disappointment, but I'm sure it won't be the last. ;)
      Sorry, I can't think of anything Positive to say on this subject, so I just won't say anymore about it.

It's all David's fault anyway for bragging about his new '66" of rustic, Victorian joy'. :D LOL :D
      Last edited by toppack; 03-20-2009, 07:03 PM.
      Rick L.
      --------------------------------------------
      * Asking Questions is a 'Good Thing',
      Since Learning is Always a 'Good Thing' *

Comment

• Nuke Power
        Banned
        • Dec 2008

With your attitude you can count on more disappointment as you go. You will run out of the "cheapo" kits and be left with walmart toys. Perhaps not the hobby for you. I am a bit insulted by your comments no matter how many little smiley faces you stick on them. . Rip off indeed.

Comment

• toppack
          Rear Admiral
          • Nov 2008

Sorry, my negative comments were not directed at you. I'll drink to THAT!
          Only at anyone trying to 'Rip Us Off', with excessive kit prices. Thumbs Down
          Last edited by toppack; 03-21-2009, 11:48 AM.
          Rick L.

Comment

• Kazzer
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by toppack
            If he would lower the price, to a Fair price, he would sell so many he could go into mass production and sell them world-wide.

If I'm doing something I enjoy, I never put a Labor cost on that time. :)

Rick

You obviously don't quite understand how this works. :) Firstly, to talk of mass production and in the same breath not put the labor time into the equation is to conjure up a business doomed to failure.

This is a very NICHE market. If you sell 10 models, you are doing well, if you sell 100, you are in heaven. The latter is RARE!

100, or come to that 500, models, doesn't constitute MASS production.

To produce a 66" mold for injection molding would cost thousands and it would be doubtful if the market could stand it.

Injection molded submarines are primarily aimed at the static model market, and therefore need special fittings kits. Just look at the VERY extensive Fittings Kit supplied with this model - hundreds of hours tooling up for those small parts. Sold alone, I'd guesstimate $300-400 just for those items.

By making a GRP mold and product, you have a low tool cost, but higher individual production cost. However, the tool cost is spread over just a few models. There is NOTHING UNFAIR about that. These larger models take a lot of time to mold up by hand, so the labor and the tool cost add up quickly.

Now, maybe, someone like Revell or Trumpeter MIGHT take up the idea of this model, but I doubt it would be as big, and the odds of that happening are remote, so I'd suggest those interested save their pennies if they want one - in fiberglass. But, then, you'd have no money left to arm all your existing boats with - torpedoes! :)
            Stop messing about - just get a Sub-driver!

Comment

• toppack
              Rear Admiral
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by kazzer
              Rick
              You obviously don't quite understand how this works. :)
              I Understand it! I understand what is Fair and what is Excessive.
              They are trying to make their profit on a few sales instead of spending their time and labor to make larger quantity and sell at a lower price.
              I Don't like it, and will Continue to Protest Excessive prices. Where ever they are!
              It happens everywhere, not just boat models. As long as people continue to ignore the Rip-Offs and do not say nothing about it, sellers will continue to think it's okay to do it.
              Last edited by toppack; 04-13-2009, 03:52 PM.
              Rick L.

Comment

• Subculture
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

You know, I can't honestly see what you hope to achieve by banging on about the cost of this model. It's a bit like me *****ing to Ferrari that I want an F40 for ten grand, and getting knarked because they tell me to go and buy a Ford instead.

If there's such a massive market for this type of model, then why don't you generate the injection moulding tooling necessary for the sub $500 model you wish to see on the market. Be prepared to invest many thousands of dollars, and be ready to lose it if the market doesn't materialise (very likely).

If you've personally produced a kit, marketed and sold them then you may have some qualification to comment on the cost of this model.

A lot of modellers here in the UK criticise the pricing of OTW. They compare them with the old Darnell models, which were half the price.

However the old Darnell models generally need twice the work, and often they still won't be as accurate, which in my view makes the premium OTW charge justifiable.

Comment

• toppack
                  Rear Admiral
                  • Nov 2008

Hey, Mike brought it up again, I was just trying to explain that I do understand what is going on in the World. ;)

Yes, Overpriced cars is a good example of the 'Mass Accepted Rip-off'. You should call Ferrari, I've made similar calls and you would be surprised how much difference a few people can make. It's just a matter of talking to the right person.

As I've stated previously I would never be crazy enough to try to make a business of RC boats, It's only a hobby. :D Since I really do Understand! :D LOL

I had rather do twice the labor than pay twice as much. After all this is a hobby and creative-labor is what a hobby is all about, to me. Taking a piece of Junk and making a 'thing of Beauty' from it, is the best type of hobby. Not paying outragious prices for someone elses creativity and labor.
                  I'll admit that I've had to rely on others, like David and his kits, more now, since I've lost the use of one hand, but if my hand improves a little more I may attempt a scratch-built Nautilus. If I can figure out a good way to make all the rivet-heads, that is! :D
                  Last edited by toppack; 04-08-2009, 07:31 AM.
                  Rick L.

Comment

• Subculture
                    Admiral
                    • Feb 2009

I'm quite happy with my little mini. But I wouldn't dream of complaining about the cost of a Ferrari- it's a finely honed piece of machinery with exotic designs and equipment, with a price tag to suit.

There are a lot of sharks out there, and the Disney Nautilus seems to attract more than it's fair share of twisters. But I've always found both Bob and Jim to be honest and straightforward in their dealings, and they have made access to this model simple.

Before it was a case of clandestine emails, cryptic telephone conversations etc. Then a case of wait and see, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

I'm pretty sure in the near future there maybe an injection moulded Nautilus available, but I wouldn't hold out any hopes for it being larger than around the three foot mark.

Comment

• Nuke Power
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2008

having a good time poking the hornets nest are you rick?

Saw another post where someone just picked one up. It looks outstanding.

Comment

• toppack
                        Rear Admiral
                        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Subculture
                        I'm pretty sure in the near future there maybe an injection moulded Nautilus available, but I wouldn't hold out any hopes for it being larger than around the three foot mark.
                        Let's Hope that someone takes pity on us Outback-blokes. :D LOL :D
                        Rick L.

Comment

• toppack
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Rogue Sub
                          having a good time poking the hornets nest are you rick?
                          No, It's All Mike's Fault !!! :eek: LOL :D
                          He Made me do it! :D
                          Last edited by toppack; 04-07-2009, 02:46 PM.
                          Rick L.

Comment

Working...