Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

Last Weekend's Elite Fleet Show at Newport News

More to follow. Just something to look at for the moment.

M

At the Newport News Fall Festival of Folklife (old Hippie's selling stuff) our club, the Elite Fleet put on an r/c model boat demonstration -- both static di...
    Who is John Galt?
  • Slats
    Vice Admiral
    • Aug 2008

Excellent.

....Just watched the videos David with my son, who said, is the man talking in the Video "Kermit the frog"???
    Last edited by Slats; 10-07-2014, 07:59 PM.
    John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
    Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Slats
      Excellent.

....Just watched the videos David with my son, who said, is the man talking in the Video "Kermit the frog"???
      Yeah ... curse of the Merriman larynx on display. Dad said it was genetic -- his Dad and Grandfather had the same rasp. Ellie, when we first hooked up, kept telling me to clear my throat before talking.

M
      Who is John Galt?

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

What did your post mission check reveal? anything? It really looked like a nice place to run a sub. Which subs ran the best and which are your least favorite? I heard (over and over again) that you did not lose your Type XXIII, how did it run for you?
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• redboat219
          Admiral
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by He Who Shall Not Be Named
          Yeah ... curse of the Merriman larynx on display. Dad said it was genetic -- his Dad and Grandfather had the same rasp. Ellie, when we first hooked up, kept telling me to clear my throat before talking.

M
          Effects of inhaling helium for too looong.
          Make it simple, make strong, make it work!

Comment

• Von Hilde
            Rear Admiral
            • Oct 2011

I see everybody has jackets on up there. We had a touch of Fall this past weekend too. Turned of the air conditioner and opened up the house, first time since last spring. That boat is prity quick. If you did an emergency blow from depth at flank would it broach out and fly? As for the voice, thats the one that came with the face. the tonality came from the nox not the helium and gas under pressure. Dont worry about the twitchin yet, that starts when ya get about 70

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by Von Hilde
              I see everybody has jackets on up there. We had a touch of Fall this past weekend too. Turned of the air conditioner and opened up the house, first time since last spring. That boat is prity quick. If you did an emergency blow from depth at flank would it broach out and fly? As for the voice, thats the one that came with the face. the tonality came from the nox not the helium and gas under pressure. Dont worry about the twitchin yet, that starts when ya get about 70
              The 1/96 SKIPJACK, the one featured in that youtube post, will go twice as fast as I showed -- though it torque rolls to the point of being uncontrollable. And I've broached out of the water with it, but usually that pops the linkages free of the SD, so I try to avoid that nonsense.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0413.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	92219 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0443.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	92220 Yeah, it was a bit chilly. October in Virginia. But, otherwise, we had great weather for the event.

No, no mixed-gas for me, I remained a second-class Diver -- air only, qualified to two-hundred feet. Only Helium I took was for fun at the MK-16 work-station at the Fort Story EOD Det. where I worked a few years as a support diver. This voice is original factory equipment.

Yeah, those Projects guys (saturation Divers) burned out quick -- tough gig.

Name:	DSCF0421.jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	92215 Dennis Allen's big-ass 1/48 USS JACK. Always impressive. Had some servo issues.

Name:	DSCF0429.jpg
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	92216 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0430.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	92217 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0432.jpg
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	92218 Just some of the boats I have. Half of the fleet had to stay at home as I have only so much room in the van. All ran well and wowed the crowd. America, Russia, Japan, and Germany represented here.

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

• greenman407
                Admiral
                • Feb 2009

Good videos Dave. Yep, the Skipjack has amazing maneuverability , which surprised me, considering the cruciform tail. It turns differently than the X-tail Albacore. The Skipjack kinda like.....slides thru a turn, which is quite satisfying to watch, and a lot of fun. The Albacore, is much different. It doesnt slide at all.....it just turns tight. Its hull rolls also but not as much. Ive never lost control with it.
                Im sure that we can tame the torque roll problem with the Skipjack, with more weight and foam, if we had a mind to.
                If these new motors work out, Ill probably, eventually , put one in the Skipjack....er ..I mean the Scamper.
                Last edited by greenman407; 10-08-2014, 09:18 PM.
                IT TAKES GREAT INTELLIGENCE TO FAKE SUCH STUPIDITY!

Comment

• HardRock
                  Vice Admiral
                  • Mar 2013

The 1/96 SKIPJACK, the one featured in that youtube post, will go twice as fast as I showed -- though it torque rolls to the point of being uncontrollable. And I've broached out of the water with it, but usually that pops the linkages free of the SD, so I try to avoid that nonsense.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28533[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]28534[/ATTACH] Yeah, it was a bit chilly. October in Virginia. But, otherwise, we had great weather for the event.

No, no mixed-gas for me, I remained a second-class Diver -- air only, qualified to two-hundred feet. Only Helium I took was for fun at the MK-16 work-station at the Fort Story EOD Det. where I worked a few years as a support diver. This voice is original factory equipment.

Yeah, those Projects guys (saturation Divers) burned out quick -- tough gig.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28529[/ATTACH] Dennis Allen's big-ass 1/48 USS JACK. Always impressive. Had some servo issues.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28530[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]28531[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]28532[/ATTACH] Just some of the boats I have. Half of the fleet had to stay at home as I have only so much room in the van. All ran well and wowed the crowd. America, Russia, Japan, and Germany represented here.

M
                  Oh Great and Mysterious One (OGMO),

The elusive Kazzer sold me one of your 1/96 Skipjacks which arrived at my door this evening. Of course I've seen photographs of the item before this but the reality is so much more impressive. Its a work of art - truly impressive. Intriguingly, the case is marked "torpedo shooter" and the there are six cut outs in the nose. Anything you'd like to share?

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                    Oh Great and Mysterious One (OGMO),

The elusive Kazzer sold me one of your 1/96 Skipjacks which arrived at my door this evening. Of course I've seen photographs of the item before this but the reality is so much more impressive. Its a work of art - truly impressive. Intriguingly, the case is marked "torpedo shooter" and the there are six cut outs in the nose. Anything you'd like to share?
                    That particular model was equipped with 1/96 scale launchers -- however, I pulled those weapons from production till I can iron out stability problems. The model you have in hand was retrofitted to work with the 'standard' single-shaft 2.5" SD.

You need help getting it up to speed, let me know.

It's not art, damit! It's CRAFT!@!!!!!!!!!@#!$!@#$!@#$

Art is what pony-tailed, self-important, underachievers splash on canvas; and/or stick up their butts and snap pictures of.

Art is a junk word that (in the last 100 years, starting with the modern 'abstract art' movement) has lost all meaning. In my world, if it ain't photo-real in clarity and form it ain't good art.

Go to any art-gallery today and look at the dung heaps on the floor and skid-marks hanging off the walls. Prosecution rests!

I, on the other hand, do Craft!

NEVER call what I do art!!!!!

David
                    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• HardRock
                      Vice Admiral
                      • Mar 2013

"Photorealism is a genre of art that encompasses painting, drawing and other graphic mediums, in which an artist studies a photograph and then attempts to reproduce the image as realistically as possible in another medium. Although the term can be used to broadly describe artworks in many different mediums, it is also used to refer specifically to a group of paintings and painters of the United Statesart movement that began in the late 1960s and early 1970s."

Painting on stuff that isn't flat is still painting - so you're an artist who is apparently stuck in the 1960s or 70s. Just saying'.

By the way, I really like the craft!!!

Its missing a set of masts at the moment and it sustained some minor damage to the right rear plane hinge. Other than it is in great shape. I'm playing with the SD today to change the receiver to a 40 Mhz version and see what else needs doing.

Comment

• Aug 2008

Originally posted by HardRock
                        "Photorealism is a genre of art that encompasses painting, drawing and other graphic mediums, in which an artist studies a photograph and then attempts to reproduce the image as realistically as possible in another medium. Although the term can be used to broadly describe artworks in many different mediums, it is also used to refer specifically to a group of paintings and painters of the United Statesart movement that began in the late 1960s and early 1970s."

Painting on stuff that isn't flat is still painting - so you're an artist who is apparently stuck in the 1960s or 70s. Just saying'.

By the way, I really like the craft!!!

Its missing a set of masts at the moment and it sustained some minor damage to the right rear plane hinge. Other than it is in great shape. I'm playing with the SD today to change the receiver to a 40 Mhz version and see what else needs doing.
                        I wish I was stuck in the 60's!

(well ... without the racism, Soviet Russia, war protesters, everyone smoking, unions, and cities on fire).

Fire me off a 'need' list to fix that boat up and I'll get the stuff to you when I get a moment.

Here's some shots of the weathering process as applied to another 1/60 ALBACORE (this should make John nuts!).

Name:	DSCF0462.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	92222Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0464.jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	92223 It's a good practice to practice on an unused hull first.

Name:	DSCF0470.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	92224Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0473.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	92225 The initial weathering step is to produce 'streaking' -- which way will running water track as it fall down from the upper rudder, sail, and hull? The answer dictates how you streak these three structures that spend most of their time in the air. I've provided a high and low exposure shot to illustrate the nasty looking streaking. Tomorrow I'll tone down the streaking with a misting of a very dark gray.

I cut my teeth in weathering effects dirtying down TV and motion picture miniatures -- where you had to overstate things so they would be captured by the electronic eye or chemistry clinging to film. Took me years to achieve a more subtle; more pleasing the eye version of the technique.

Name:	DSCN0014.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	92226 Eventually this model will look a bit like this.

M
                        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Von Hilde
                          Rear Admiral
                          • Oct 2011

Theres a differance between an artist and an ARRH -TEEZED, Witch ever one sticks his pinkey out when sippin coffee wont be the guy in the funney flat hat with paint all over his shirt and a small chunk of his ear missing. I have been pondering the torque roll situation. I figgure the cylindricle shape of the ballast is the culpret. And not really torque, so to speek but G force. A simple baffel system installed virticlly, fore and aft, will slow down the lateral shifting of the water so quickly. Perhaps a segregated set of rear planes functioning like the elevons on an FA 18 where you can controll the roll axis in the tight turns at speed.

Comment

• HardRock
                            Vice Admiral
                            • Mar 2013

Still stuck in the 1970s!

I wish I was stuck in the 60's!

(well ... without the racism, Soviet Russia, war protesters, everyone smoking, unions, and cities on fire).

Fire me off a 'need' list to fix that boat up and I'll get the stuff to you when I get a moment.

Here's some shots of the weathering process as applied to another 1/60 ALBACORE (this should make John nuts!).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28536[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28537[/ATTACH] It's a good practice to practice on an unused hull first.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28538[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28539[/ATTACH] The initial weathering step is to produce 'streaking' -- which way will running water track as it fall down from the upper rudder, sail, and hull? The answer dictates how you streak these three structures that spend most of their time in the air. I've provided a high and low exposure shot to illustrate the nasty looking streaking. Tomorrow I'll tone down the streaking with a misting of a very dark gray.

I cut my teeth in weathering effects dirtying down TV and motion picture miniatures -- where you had to overstate things so they would be captured by the electronic eye or chemistry clinging to film. Took me years to achieve a more subtle; more pleasing the eye version of the technique.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28540[/ATTACH] Eventually this model will look a bit like this.

M
                            Thanks Mate,

I've getting the SD sorted out. Can I send you the original 75 Mhz receiver in some kind of exchange for the 1/96 bits? All I really need is set of periscopes (and the circular anchor if it was ever done).

And never mind John, those Albacore photographs are driving ME nuts. I took another long look at the waterline treatment on the Skipjack; there must be 15 different colours in there. Its is so rich and deep. Fantastic. You are an absolute A……. etc etc (fill in blank with any word of your choice starting with A - artisan, alligator, astronaut, agitator, …)

Now, back to the 70s!

Comment

• Aug 2008

Not only yes ... but HELL yes! 75mHz receivers are as hard to find as chicken teeth these days. E-mail me your address and I'll get a C.A.R.E. package off to you. Thanks.

David D Merriman lll
                              835 Holly Hedge Ave.
                              Virginia Beach, VA 23452

Ellie has an 'A' word she uses on me from time to time. Problem is it's at the left end of a hyphen, with 'hole' situated to the right of the hyphen.

The trick is to lay down a clear coat between the layers that comprise the weathering job -- that way you can scrub off the current work should it not please you.

Name:	009.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	92227Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0083.jpg
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	92228Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0189.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	91.1 KB