Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trout
    Admiral
    • Jul 2011

That is a great tip! You use water to begin the rusting? Or an acid?
    If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• crazygary
      Captain
      • Sep 2012

G'Day CA, and all!

The first Leopard arrived yesterday! Came to me at under $20US, including shipping!
      Pretty complete except for the controller and battery charger! Both readily available
      pretty inexpensively!

Some photos of her as she arrived:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	91035Click image for larger version

Name:	lfront.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	91036Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	91038 Click image for larger version

Name:	lside.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	91037Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	91039
      front left side rear right side top

Not in bad shape at all, except for a couple of "bits" missing from the top of the turret!!

There are short brass "rods" at each of the rear corners which, I'm guessing, have something to do with antennas?
      This is the left rear corner:

Name:	lrear.jpg
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	91040

She's also missing a track idler from the left side:

Name:	missing idler.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	91041

Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with her!!

The internal NiCd battery appears to have some power left! When switching her to "ON", the
      "headlights" flash in an amber color, and the rear "brake lights(?)" flash red. Not exactly sure
      what that signifies, as she didn't come with a manual, either!

However, the second Leopard, which should arrive tomorrow, has everything included, for a mere $31US, including shipping!!
      Only reported problem with that one is, the barrel is, supposedly, jammed as it won't fire the
      airsoft BBs. A pretty straight-forward repair, I'm hoping!!

Ennyhoo, thar she be!!

Comment

• crazygary
        Captain
        • Sep 2012

Alrighty, then.......!

Apparently, after digging around the "net" for parts, I have discovered
        that my "Leopard" is actually a M1A2 Abrams, and as such, isn't the same as
        the second one which is on the way to me, also advertised to be a
        Type 90 Leopard!!

For some reason, parts for the 1/24 Abrams seem to be easier to find than
        parts for a 1/24 Leopard anyway!! (Duh!! How come, Ollie?????)

Looking real closely, they don't even come close to resembling each other, (must be a "camo" thing!!)
        so.....Looks to be as though I'll end up with 2 different tank models!!

Cool!!!!

CG

Comment

• crazygary
          Captain
          • Sep 2012

Question for you, CA!!

Where would I find the receiver crystal in the Abrams??

Just want to be sure to have matching channels for both the tx and rx!
          Probably a good idea!! Hah!!

Thank you, Sir!!

CG

Comment

• Mcgowan1
            Lieutenant
            • Feb 2013

Hellow Fellow Modellers and CG.

Let's start.

The Brass fitting showing is an Antenna mount with a detachable wire Antenna which looks like you will have to get or make.

The Flashing lights signifies that the battery is indeed holding charge and the Tank is in Standby Mode waiting for you to turn it on like turning the key of your motor vehicle.

When you get the controller (Which I am still looking for, I have one more place/box to look in) you will see the functions on the keypad of the controller.

So that is a positive start.

The Idlers are at the end of the tracks. At one end you will see what they call the driver and the other end the Idlers
            Looks like you have a SUSPENSION spring missing from yours as your wheel is in the wrong direction. Take a look at the SUSPENSION arms of other wheels, all wheels must be in the same direction, your one is backwards.
            So when you do your FIDDLIN look at the way your wheels are set up and note the Drivers which are attached to your gear box at the Front of the Tank and then, the Idlers which just balance out the whole track affair at the Rear.

Ok that might give you somewhere to start matey.

In answer to Vice Admiral Trout's question. I just use water from the tap, put into a spray bottle, place pads where I want them and then, check now on the pads and give them a spray if I think they are drying out. You will notice the pads start to rust and this is when the MAGIC happens.

Here are pictures now of our Panther G and the Tiger 10 all completed as far as painting and rusting are concerned. I can now go over areas if I think there is too much rusting with a wet rag or whatever is at hand and wipe off what I think is too heavy.

All in All from what you see in the pictures the process was started 4 days ago, Sprayed now and then with water, then the pads were removed and the models were left to dry.
            Remember to do one side at a time and perhaps leave the top of your model until last to get the water/rust run effect.

I will now spray with clear when finished drying properly.

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	91046Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0270.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	91047Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	91048

Our Panther G.

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	91049Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0271.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	91050Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0272.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	91051Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0274.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	91052

Tiger 1 and last picture the two tanks together in their Winter/Rust Camouflage.

Now for the Tiger 1, I had some of the white spray paint left I used on the Panther G, so I sprayed her in white, added the rusting and cost 6 steel pads less than 2.00 and that is the final result. No more, except foliage and decaling will be done to both tanks as far as painting goes.

Righto CG I am doing a search soon so will let you know via these means. I hope I explained your Abrahams okay so far HaHa.

What's the difference between a PANTHER and a LEOPARD? haha sorry just jesting matey.

Until next posting Mcgowan1 - CA.
            Love is a Nimitz.

Comment

• Mcgowan1
              Lieutenant
              • Feb 2013

My Apologies, I did forget to mention the Rusting on the tanks is still wet so a lot of what you see will change colour as drying out.
              thank you Mcgowan1.
              Love is a Nimitz.

Comment

• crazygary
                Captain
                • Sep 2012

CA-

One entire wheel is broken off of the left side!!

It appears that the wheel was hit on the side, at some point, and broke off of the the link!

I have found them on the web, pretty cheap, but the shipping costs from the U.K. are crazy!!

Oh, well!! At least I know that they're out there!!

CG

Comment

• Mcgowan1
                  Lieutenant
                  • Feb 2013

CG I just noticed the words Type 90 Leopard. There is no such tank it will either be a Leopard or a Type 90 used by the Japanese self defence units.
                  Looks like you will have to wait until the other arrives to sort it all out. I checked everywhere and sorry controller must have gone to the tip. I hate it when that happens. A good piece of equipment not being used then all of a sudden someone needs one.
                  Ah well. Now I will post these three pictures for you to look at seems they or you are getting confused with the different tanks.

Name:	Leopard one twenty fourth scale..jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	91053Click image for larger version

Name:	m1a2-abrams-heng-long-rc-tank-s.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	91054Click image for larger version

Name:	japan-90-heng-long-rc-tank-s.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	91055
                  LEOPARD ABRAHAMS T90 OR JAPAN 90 all these are 1/24 scale.
                  Now the wheels will be similar or the same so make the best out of 2 if you can, that might be the way to approach it.
                  I finished rubbing down the Panther G and also I have put on her Decals which to my delight arrived in the mail this morning.
                  Here is how she looks now.

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	91056Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0285.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	91057Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	91058Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	91059

There she is as of tonight 7th April.
                  You might be getting a bit sick of seeing it in its different stages with only slight changes but I am sorry it is the only way I can show you what happens on the build.
                  I have checked out with my Dealer and other places for her Upgrades and Cammo so I promise you, you won't see her again until she is completed. I cannot screw down the top hull yet as I have the new improved smoke system coming for her and once I fit that and check it's operation I will screw down the top hull and commence with the foliage.
                  Sorry I cannot be of more help CG in except to say open the hull and see if there are any bits in there worth salvaging and decide to order the parts or make 1 from 2. Such is the problem sometimes from purchasing things that are described incorrectly, it has happened to me a few times too.
                  CA
                  Love is a Nimitz.

Comment

• crazygary
                    Captain
                    • Sep 2012

G'Day, Mate!!

The second tank I purchased on Ebay was advertised as a Leopard, but a photo shows the manual
                    for a Type 90, so, being a complete newbie to the tank scene, I just assumed.......... Hmmm! There's
                    that terrible word!! Hah!! I do thank you for the clarification! Comparing the photo to the ones that
                    you posted, appearance-wise, it looks to be a 90!!?? Or, not!!! Hah!!

The only "mishaps" listed for this model was that she has a broken track, which was stapled back together,
                    and that the barrel seems to be "jammed"! Otherwise, it looked to be in pretty decent shape!!?? We shall see
                    upon her arrival at my doorstep!! Hah!! Will update you when I'm able to!

No worries regarding the controller, my friend! And again, I thank you for your thoughtfulness! I try not to
                    toss thing either, but, somehow these " possible future treasures" take leave of me on their own!! Strange forces at work,
                    indeed!! (LOL) I may be able to use the controller from the second tank to operate both of them! A few dollars
                    here and there, and I will be the proud owner of 2 r/c tanks!! That works for me!!

I never "tire" of updates to your builds as if it were not for you, I would certainly be missing out on another
                    fascinating, and historic, leg of modeling! This is fun stuff!!!

Keep doing what you're doing as I am learning many methods that are completely new to me!!

The Panther G is looking really good, Sir!! "Wintery", she be!! Quite nice!! I like it a lot!

Out for now, CA!

Have a good one, and I'll be back later in the day!!

CG

Comment

• crazygary
                      Captain
                      • Sep 2012

G'Day, CA!!

How goes your latest "beastie"??

I have still not received my Type 90, but she should arrive within
                      the next couple of days!!? Looking forward to being able to get
                      one of them up and running around I still have a mound of leftover
                      topsoil from my front lawn adventure, and am dying to play a little
                      "king-of-the-mountain"!! Hah!!

Have a good one, Mate!!

CG

Comment

• Mcgowan1
                        Lieutenant
                        • Feb 2013

Hello fellow modelers and CG. Still waiting for upgrades which I am informed have been posted and along with the Heng Long 1/30 and 1/35 crew have been posted, I.m excited at the prospect as one of my mates says FIDDLIN again. Once parts ordered have arrived will recommence our Panther G.
                        Until next posting Mcgowan1
                        Love is a Nimitz.

Comment

• Mcgowan1
                          Lieutenant
                          • Feb 2013

Hello again and at long last some of the upgrades have arrived not much but will post pictures of what I have fitted. I am still waiting for the Vegetation so that will not be here now until after Easter. I have fitted the Upgraded smoke unit and I think it is great I now have a tank that smokes when it is supposed to and you can see the smoke clearly. I will make a video of our Panther G when she is completed and just show you how she works now.
                          See if you can notice the additions.

Name:	IMG_0290.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	91166Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0292.jpg
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	91167Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	91168Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	91169

Ok Have a great and safe Easter Break and will see you back here soon
                          Cheers for now Mcgowan1.
                          Love is a Nimitz.

Comment

• crazygary
                            Captain
                            • Sep 2012

She's looking good, Armo, as though she's been "beating around the bush" for
                            quite some time!! Beauty!!

Not much available information about me Abrams or Type90! Will have to dig
                            into it a bit for 1:1 photos of them "in the bush", so to speak!!

Keep them coming, Mate!! Always enjoyable to view your latest efforts!!

CG

Comment

• Mcgowan1
                              Lieutenant
                              • Feb 2013

Hello CG, not much can be done in the way of Beating around the bush with these modern tanks. Most of them kept their countries cammouflage pattern as standard. Best to try and give them the worn look. Think about a tank that has say brushed into a tree on the way past it so maybe a few dents around the front guards a soldering used very carefully can achieve this. Modelling clay also around the top of where the tracks are turning also like dollops of mud churned up when the tank is moving. That is what i meant by thinking about what you want to make the tank look like. Create Dust effects around different areas of the tank also. Picture in your mind how the tanks look after being on an exercise and you will come up with something to work on.
                              Imagination is the key to these modern tanks. I am getting a Henglong Leopard and will try and create as the Squadron tank commanders tank in an Aussie regiment, so I gotta research a. the number of my tank, The leaders Pennant colour which i hope is a red pennant and of course Skippy the bush Kangaroo markings, then where has it been? Bush, muddy terrain etc and that's how to go about it my friend.
                              Cheers for now Mcgowan 1
                              Love is a Nimitz.

Comment

• crazygary
                                Captain
                                • Sep 2012

Will "dirty them up" good and proper, Mate!!

I'll have to save the heavy duty parts for a future WWII tankie!!

CG

Comment

Working...