• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • george
    Captain
    • Dec 2010

Advice Help Needed

Hello to the membership

I am in the planning, thinking stage for now. I would like to try to build the disney nautilus submarine for future r.c use. I see that it`s hull is of an octagonal shape and tapers to the front and rear.
    I thought about making several temporary octagonal bulkheads to attach the side pieces to. I was going to make each side piece out of epoxy/fiberglass and lay up the strips on a piece of glass since I heard that epoxy does not stick to glass.

My question here is, since the nautilus is tapered to the front and rear, how do I get the stiff level epoxy strips to bend towards the front and rear without breaking? I was thinking about using a hot air gun to heat the sections were the strips had to bend BUT I don`t know if that would work.

Anyone have this kind of experience with cured epoxy bending? OR how should I do it? As for buying an already Nautilus kit, if I could afford it and the S&H to me here in Canada was cheap, I would BUT since it is not cheap and S&H is nuts, I can`t so I try for now by myself.

Thanks for your time and help.

George
  • He Who Shall Not Be Named
    • Aug 2008

.020" thick G-10 and a hot-air gun.

M
    Who is John Galt?

Comment

• george
      Captain
      • Dec 2010

Hello He Who Shall Not Be Named

Thanks for your reply BUT what is "thick G-10"???

George

Comment

• Aug 2008

preformed sheets of epoxy-fiberglass plastic sheet.

Huge Selection of G10/FR4 Glass Epoxy Sheets In Stock & Cut-to-Size from ePlastics. Fast Shipping. Trusted for Over 100 Years.

M
        Who is John Galt?

Comment

• Subculture
          Admiral
          • Feb 2009

Thin epoxy sheet like Dave recommends works as easy as thin plywood, so you can bend it cold too.

Comment

• george
            Captain
            • Dec 2010

Hello ALL

I would like to thank everyone for their tips and I have decided to scrap my plan and to buy a pre made hull. After reviewing ALL the work and the fact I can`t physically do that work because of my health issues. I will start saving up for one.
            Anyone care to give me sources for a 1/69 Nautilus hull and who you recommend as a person to deal with.

Thanks

George

Comment

• Aug 2008

Get a Brodeen hull. Bob Martin is the guy to deal with. Caswell offers the SD for it.

Not a beginners project!

M
              Who is John Galt?

Comment

Working...