Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • herrmill
    Commander
    • Dec 2008

Couldn't agree with you anymore in your comments, John. Just wanted to point out that catering to several markets is certainly better than one if it make sense with new product. BTW, no one is talking about making or selling figures aside from, of course, what we've seen by David's latest 3 piece Type 23 crew set. :wink:

Comment

• Slats
      Vice Admiral
      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by herrmill
      Couldn't agree with you anymore in your comments, John. Just wanted to point out that catering to several markets is certainly better than one if it make sense with new product. BTW, no one is talking about making or selling figures aside from, of course, what we've seen by David's latest 3 piece Type 23 crew set. :wink:
      Yep i get where your coming from Chuck- but not meaning to be a pessimist, I just don't think the hobby will never really be "cheap". I remember the 1990's intro discussions by people like David explaining that the hobby costs money, and the new guy needed to prepare to shell out.

Even "poverty packs" will be a few hundred bucks. Its not just the plastic kit - although the cheaper that can be made the better for the bigger "cheaper" end of the market. The bigger cost will be the innards that make them work.

The largest "new" market we have in my view are model boaters, and I think I've ranted enough on that crowd before. -But here's a short one. It never ceases to amaze me how these guys lap up a plastic model kit, like a Revell kit, and then are dumbstruck that they have to spend money outside of their sphere of assumed **** hot skill to make it work. Model boaters are the biggest bunch of tight-wads I have ever seen. They'll drop a grand or more on a larger scale GRP ship kit, and then they'll spend $2 painting it, and seek out the dumbest most crude RC unit and ESC to drop into it.

Cheap submarine toys from Walmart AKA china exist, but I think that is a different market again to the mainstream sub guys.
      John Slater

Sydney Australia

You would not steal a wallet so don't steal people's livelihood.
      Think of that before your buy "cheap" pirated goods or download others work protected by copyright. Theft is theft.

sigpic

Comment

• trout
        Admiral
        • Jul 2011

Make a modular system that a beginner can start as basic as possible and then add more to it (lights, torpedoes, trim tanks or something like hover mode in the video, surface to air missiles, you get the idea). Make it a non-real sub, but a possible sub, something that has a cool factor, watch this:

what do you think?
        Last edited by trout; 06-06-2013, 02:13 AM.
        If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

Comment

• ffr2608
          Lieutenant Commander
          • Oct 2009

Dave,
          How about the SDV we were talking about last year? Perfect vacform subject with a lot of control surface. By the way, I want one of those delfins too.

Darrin

Comment

Working...